Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Mileage

Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Mileage

I have a 2013 RTS and I was wondering what everybody is getting MPG wise? I look at the fuel gauge and it's almost empty the trip says about 125 but when I put gas in it takes about 3 gal. don't these have 6 gal. tanks? I think I'm going to run it dry and try to figure out the MPG from there.
    2013 RED RT-S SE-5. Nothing special, but it's mine. I call it El Diablo Rojo
    US ARMY Combat Engineer. Sapper Strike!

Spyder Garage

Not an expert, but I think your fuel gauge is wildly inaccurate. BTW, thank you for your service.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    Not an expert, but I think your fuel gauge is wildly inaccurate.
    Which is fairly typical on the older models.

It is NOT a good idea to run it completely dry.
    And you can figure your gas mileage and range without doing that......once you find out the tank capacity.

Spyder Garage

I've had three spiders, the 2013 RT Limited with the 998 engine got about 30-31 miles per gallon. The 2016 RT Limited with the 1330 engine got about 38-40 miles per gallon. Now I have a 2018 F3 limited with the 1330 engine and it gets about 39-41 miles per gallon! That is about all you can expect out of the Can Am Spyder! I wish we could count on BRP to push the sales of Spyders in the United States, and keep parts in a warehouse here in the states so the dealers could order parts and get them quicker! Also most dealers have one Spyder Tech and he is tied up working on everything else they sell! BPR could learn a lot from Harley and some of the other bike brands!

Being 10th in reliability is not a good place to be!!!!

Spyder Garage

I've filled the 2014 RT twice now. Got 38mpg the first time, and 36 the second. Not bad considering I was doing some spirited riding on the second tank. I'm with you on the gauge - mine's down to about 3 bars. When I filled it up lat time at about the same level, it took around 3.4 gallons. I believe they have a 6.9 gallon tank.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2017 RT Ltd bought new 14 months ago. For the 1st 10,000 km (1st 6 month) it would get about 200-220 km's out of a tank.

Then after 10,000 km it got approx 400-450 kms from a tank, and now at 28000 kms it runs to 450 kms two up. I use 98 octane fuel as I do in all our vehicles.
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    I have a 2017 RT Ltd bought new 14 months ago. For the 1st 10,000 km (1st 6 month) it would get about 200-220 km's out of a tank.

Then after 10,000 km it got approx 400-450 kms from a tank, and now at 28000 kms it runs to 450 kms two up. I use 98 octane fuel as I do in all our vehicles.
    Not likely, to the point of being impossible, that the fuel mileage would DOUBLE just with normal use.
    There has to be a hidden factor here that you didn't mention.

"miles from a tank" is not a good way to measure fuel usage.

Spyder Garage

I also have a 2013 RT. 30 to 31 sounds about right. I've stopped tracking it closely. I too find that I rarely put more that 3 or 4 gallons in at a fill up, but I've never run it until the low fuel indicator.
    Gary

US Army Vietnam era vet

2023 Can Am F3
    2020 Can Am Ryker 900 ACE (traded)
    2013 Can Am Spyder RT SE5 (traded)
    2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (sold)
    2012 Honda NC700X (sold)
    2012 Honda CBR250 (sold)

States visited on 2 or 3

2020 900 Ace , Black on black

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..

If you are going by the analog gauge they were never that accurate and most changed both the heat and gas gauges out for others as you have digital ones that appear on the dash when analog gauges eliminated. You should have about a gallon plus left when the warning light comes on but the mpg will vary greatly from place to place and Ryder to ryder.....you do have a over 6 gallon tank but do to placement you will never get that much in it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2013REDRTS View Post
    I have a 2013 RTS and I was wondering what everybody is getting MPG wise? I look at the fuel gauge and it's almost empty the trip says about 125 but when I put gas in it takes about 3 gal. don't these have 6 gal. tanks? I think I'm going to run it dry and try to figure out the MPG from there.
    You might be doing the fill wrong. The 2013 RTS usually get about 30 - 32 mpg.

The three gallon fill causes me to question the method. The 2013 tanks are about 5.8 gallons.

When filling...always top it off to the same level. I slowly fill until the gas reaches the inner ring. I let it settle for about 5 seconds and continue a second time filling to the inner ring.

I always set a trip meter to zero at fill time. When you get to around 150 miles on the trip meter the fuel light should go on.

The analog gas gauges are next to useless on 10 - 13 model years.

Your refill...if you wait for the warning light to go on...should take 4.5 or slightly more gallons. Use the pump information for the gallons used. Divide that number into the miles driven (per the trip meter).

Give this a try and let us know what happens.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I always find this conversation interesting - regardless of vehicle. There are many factors that come into play from your practice of how you fill your tank (do you always top it off or do you stop when it cuts off), how much reserve is there, what is the temp (yes that matters, your plastic gas tank has some elasticity to it), not to mention ... traffic, ryding style variance ... just too many variable to take into account. However, I keep stats of every drop of gas that goes into all of my vehicles so I do have some info.

2018 RTL - Typical MPG approximately 33.00 - that is ryding one-up, aggressive, no traffic, topping the tank off every time so that I have to same approximate "measuring stick". My fuel burn between each fill up has been anywhere from 4 gallons to 5.3 gallons .... so I have always had more in the tank. Maximum mileage from a tank so far ... that isn't an odd ball stat ... 175 miles from 5.1 gallons or 31.15 MPG. Best I have ever seen was highway commuting (which is rare for me) 180 miles from 4.3 gallons or 41.42 MPG.

Just some food for thought. Your mileage will vary - we all do something different.

Ryde Safe
    Dave

"Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

• 2018 CamAm Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White / Chrome
    • 2008 H/D VROD 105th Anniversary Edition (665 of 1200) - Retired
    • 1987 Honda CRB600F - "Hurricane" - Retired

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
    2018 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have an 2016 RTS....After 175 miles I start looking for a gas break. I got rid of my analog gauges because they "sucked". I was getting low fuel indicator light coming on after 110 miles!? My digital gauge is way more accurate. I just use the 175 mile rule.
    Hope to meet some of you in Deadwood next week. Ride Safe.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I hope to know more this weekend, but there are a lot of things that can make the milage vary. My 2014 RT got an average of around 39-40 mpg, up until the last year. Then I was only getting about 36 mpg (sold with approx 22k miles). My 2012 RSS got about 35 mpg consistantly. My current bike (2016 F3T) got about 32-35 mpg from new. Then about 3 weeks ago I went to an aftermarket exhaust for 1 day. I didn't like it, so I went back to stock. Each time, I let the bike run for about 15 minutes (as I was told) to let the computer learn the new setup. After switching back to the stock setup, I now get about 38+ mpg. Not sure how that happened, but I hope to go through about 3 tanks of gas over the next 2 days. I will be riding 2 up, but it still should be interesting.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2013REDRTS View Post
    So you go about 125 miles and it takes about 3 gallons to fill. That's 41 mpg. That's very good. Better than most but then the numbers you give us to work with are likely not very accurate.

But your issue sounds like distance to a tank of fuel and not actual mpg you are disappointed with. Fill your tank to the inner lip as described above. Then run until the low fuel light comes on. That should be about 170 to 190 miles. You still will have 25 to 40 miles left to go at that point.

oops. I have to stop doing math in my head. Not good at it any more. My previous 2013 STL which has the same drivetrain and fuel tank as the OPs. Fuel light would come on at 230 kms to 270 kms. So that's 140 to 170 miles. Then I would have another 50 kms of fuel left. 30 miles.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The 2013's (last of the twins) are noted for 30-32 mpg. The 41 mpg calculated above seems to be a bit "off."

Most have not seen high 30's, low 40's until the 1330 triples came out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Not likely, to the point of being impossible, that the fuel mileage would DOUBLE just with normal use.
    There has to be a hidden factor here that you didn't mention.

"miles from a tank" is not a good way to measure fuel usage.
    I travel quite a bit with other RT/RTL and all promised I would eventually get better "mileage", and no it didnt just double when it clicked over from 9999 to 10000, it started to really improve at the 9000km mark and continued to improve until sometime after the 10,000 km mark it seemed to peak.

Miles from a tank - for some I agree - its six of one and half dozen of the other If I have 5 Galon tank and get 30mpg I have a range of 150 miles, or I have a 26 litre tank and know that two up on a freeway I'll make the 450km mark at which time I'll see the little idiot light come on.
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Regardless of the conditions, the fuel mileage will NOT double over any amount of time or miles.......unless there is something wrong with the engine.......or there is something wrong with your calculations. The latter is most likely.

When people say your fuel mileage will increase, they mean something like 20%.........NOT 100%.

Spyder Garage

Their could be one exception. A good wind from your back. I have had it boost a 2 wheeler as much as 8 MPG.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

Arrow Your mileage may differ

Disconnect both analog gauges, it is easy. The digital ones will appear in your gauge cluster, they are far more accurate. You won't regret it, and you'll have new space for installing, a cig plug, voltage gauge, or a number of other things.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Disconnect both analog gauges, it is easy.
    In my case, I have NO complaints about the accuracy of either of the analog gauges.
    They are easy to see and read......without having reading glasses on.
    My screen is cluttered with enough tiny little displays already.

I have NO intention of disconnecting mine.......as it would accomplish exactly nothing good.

Spyder Garage

In my case, I have NO complaints about the accuracy of either of the analog gauges.
    They are easy to see and read......without having reading glasses on.
    My screen is cluttered with enough tiny little displays already.

I have NO intention of disconnecting mine.......as it would accomplish exactly nothing good.
    Choices. I'm so glad we live where we have that freedom.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Regardless of the conditions, the fuel mileage will NOT double over any amount of time or miles.......unless there is something wrong with the engine.......or there is something wrong with your calculations. The latter is most likely.

When people say your fuel mileage will increase, they mean something like 20%.........NOT 100%.
    Ok if you say so! I'll let my riding cohorts know we were wrong!
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

askitee said - If I have 5 Galon tank and get 30 mpg I have a range of 150 miles, or I have a 26 litre tank and know that two up on a freeway I'll make the 450km.
    He starts out using US measurements, 5 x 30 = 150. Then changes to metric measurements, 26 liter into 450 km, (450 kilometers) / (26 litre) =17.3076923 kilometers per liter
    So in a weird way you could say the 17km doubled would aprox 30 miles (17x2=34), which the math still doesn't work. I'm not good at math so my $.02

Spyder Garage

We have a 2013 RTL also no mateer how hard we ride and after getting used to her she gets a steady 31 mpg. As many have said here we keep the rpms up and she runs great, her sweet spot seems to be right around 4700 rpm
    2013 RT Limited
    Lamonster FBB with larger gripper pegs
    Value Accessories dah mount
    Custom Dynamics High Mount brake light
    BRP passenger arm rests

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    Ok if you say so! I'll let my riding cohorts know we were wrong!
    It is not "If I say so", it is the truth.

How many of your "riding cohorts" really think you got a 100% increase in your gas mileage ??