Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Purchase Can-Am from private seller. Can seller declare $1000 to safe buyer sales tax

Is DMV will check the Bluebook price and make you pay the book price?

Thank you

Spyder Garage

The MV may send a letter to you the seller to verify how much you sold he unit for....that's all they can do.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jwill View Post

Thank you
    CAN the seller (or you) commit fraud? Sure.

SHOULD he/you? Probably not.

Cheers
    E

Spyder Garage

some states charge you blue book value unless you can prove damage or extremely high mileage.

Spyder Garage

Massachusetts says book value or selling price, which every is higher, will be basis of sales tax. We fought against taxation without representation... now we have taxation with (poor) representation! :-)
    --
    Bob L.
    Worcester County Massachusetts
    www.rk-mass2.org

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Massachusetts says book value or selling price, which every is higher, will be basis of sales tax. We fought against taxation without representation... now we have taxation with (poor) representation! :-)
    ...Vermont is similar …. the only out is if you get a licensed Dealer to say it's worth less than BOOK value ….. ( not likely, and the DMV counts on that ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Wonderful how the government is able to tax and then retax and etc... even though tax was paid for the full value of a car/bike at the initial purchase. By the time taxing value is done after resales.. amazing how many dollars of value taxes were imposed upon.

Spyder Garage

In Ohio at least you can deduct the value of the trade in from the purchase price and pay tax on the difference only. In Californication where I live now they tax over and over and over and then again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So.....the right answer is: It varies by state. Ask your local DMV.
    In some states they don't even call it a "sales tax" but there is a higher fee to transfer the registration to a new owner.

Spyder Garage

all complaints against taxing proceedures but keep electing the same people that screw us at every turn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jwill View Post

Thank you
    Take a look at your Florida Certificate of Title. The seller must fill in the name and address of the buyer as well as the mileage on the vehicle when the title is transferred. Then the seller must sign the title attesting to the accuracy of the foregoing information. Enough said.
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

You all ought to come to Arizona..... But not in the summer. It's 112F now and too hot to do much riding this time of year. But private sales between two people are not taxed by the state. Arizona gets it's bite out of the apple when a vehicle is sold new or sold used by a licensed dealer. Even if a used vehicle is sold by an out of state dealer, Arizona will collect sales tax at the time of registration. So the only time we're taxed here on a used vehicle is when there is a dealer involved..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I don't know about your state but in Virginia, if the sales price declared is unusually low to where it looks like you are trying to cheat them, they will apply a Blue Book value and apply a sales or transfer tax on that amount.

If you are registering a wreck or a parts bike show them proof of that condition. Otherwise .....
    2018 Can Am Spyder F3L, 1995 BMW R1100R, 1988 Suzuki GS250, 2019 Ryker 600 (Wife's)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    You all ought to come to Arizona..... But not in the summer. It's 112F now and too hot to do much riding this time of year. But private sales between two people are not taxed by the state. Arizona gets it's bite out of the apple when a vehicle is sold new or sold used by a licensed dealer. Even if a used vehicle is sold by an out of state dealer, Arizona will collect sales tax at the time of registration. So the only time we're taxed here on a used vehicle is when there is a dealer involved..... Jim
    Now that's something I can live with. Does Arizona have state income tax?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Very small. For me, it is zero. My retirement income is below the amount that triggers paying any state income tax. The lack of state taxation includes all motor vehicles and licensed items like trailers. My RT622 trailer has a "permanent" license so no ongoing renewal or taxation. I bought my Spyder and trailer from an Oklahoma dealer and come to think of it, I believe I paid the state tax (5.3%) on the Spyder only. I don't think they taxed me on the trailer. But my memory fades in and out at times..... Happy to be a FORMER Washington resident. Very happy..... Jim
    Last edited by canamjhb; 07-04-2019 at 03:15 PM. Reason: remove political comment
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Yes. And they make up the tax on registration fees, which are based on the MSRP of your vehicle with an annual depreciation formula.

A few years ago while living in Utah I bought an old non-running bike (1963 Matchless) and wrote down the sale price of $500. When I registered it they gave me some serious stink-eye over the price but they processed the title.

Spyder Garage

Likely varies some from state to state. No more claiming you bought/sold it for a $1.00 in MI! Beyond that; it appears (from anectodotal evidence) individual clerks at our Secretry of State Offices don't all use the same appraisal method for determining the vehicles actual value. some look it up (using what I don't know) and some just guestimate the value. The whole reason being the higher the vehicles value the more sales tax the State rakes in, and license plate costs are based on the vehicles worth. Meaning even more money for the State.

Let us know if you end up needing a file in a cake or anything!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

South Carolina has an interesting sales tax system. When you buy a vehicle you pay the regular sales tax, but it caps at $300. You never pay more than $300 tax on any privately owned vehicle.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    In some states they don't even call it a "sales tax" but there is a higher fee to transfer the registration to a new owner.
    this is the right answer
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Not only does it vary by state, it varies by what “nice” customer service person you end up with.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Our experience with AR and four license plates. One car, two Spyders, and one Kawi vulcan.

We paid a total of $96 for the four title transfers, and new plates. However...they are going to hit us with personal property tax for them in January. (They are one year behind on all taxes). Time will tell how that one works out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
    Yes. And they make up the tax on registration fees, which are based on the MSRP of your vehicle with an annual depreciation formula.

A few years ago while living in Utah I bought an old non-running bike (1963 Matchless) and wrote down the sale price of $500. When I registered it they gave me some serious stink-eye over the price but they processed the title.
    Wow, My first bike was a 1957 Matchless in 1964. I still remember that bike well with its compression release. It was a 500 cc single cylinder. Called it a thumper. it was hard to find parts then,you may have trouble restoring it. A very neat machine. One doesant here that brand anymore. Enjoy PS,read you on the Ryker forum.

Spyder Garage

Oregon has no sales tax, but there is income tax and dozens of other ways to get into our wallets. Vehicle registration is a flat fee for all and based on what the vehicle is, not what it's worth.
    Stores and shopping centers along the northern border have parking lots full of cars with Washington license plates. No income tax and they take advantage of Oregon having no sales tax, the merchants love this and so does the Oregon economy.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post

Quote Originally Posted by cattleshow View Post
    Wow, My first bike was a 1957 Matchless in 1964. I still remember that bike well with its compression release. It was a 500 cc single cylinder. Called it a thumper. it was hard to find parts then,you may have trouble restoring it. A very neat machine. One doesant here that brand anymore. Enjoy PS,read you on the Ryker forum.
    My first bike was 1956 AJS 500 Thumper also (Norton, AJS, Matchless were all part of the AMC group) . After learning to start that thing kicking anything else over never bothered me again.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-16-2020 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

In Georgia they utilize NADA guides to compare your Bill of Sale price against.