Spyder Garage

Default Platform type trailer hitch on a Spyder

Crazy maybe , but has anyone modified, or found and bought, a trailer hitch for the Spyder that has a square tube receiver for mounting a small platform for holding a cooler or say smaller luggage items ??? I have this type setup for my car, and used it in the past for transporting a small motorcycle or bigger cooler, but I'm thinking of just room for "extra items" so you don't need a full trailer.
    I'm sure there are issues with this, but just a thought.....and I've seen some pretty wild ideas on here too
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Search Amazon for "Show Chrome Accessories (52-828 Universal Trailer Hitch Rack)." $97, free shipping.

Caven
    Caven Mcloughlin; caven@kent.edu

Spyder Garage

Caven, so this is the rack part as I see it. Are you saying it would "attach" to the Spyder factory hitch ?

My apology. It DOES do what I was talking about AND Show Chrome also has a hitch assy for the Spyder to go with it
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Doc Humphreys, Roadster Renovations, made one. Haven't seen him on here for a while. Worth a search.....

Additional thoughts..... I would not plan to carry any breakable or carbonated drinks on this kind of rack. It is attached to the unsprung rear and will be subject to lots of road bumps. Good for soft luggage like clothes, rain gear, etc..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

All movement of the rear tire is transmitted directly to the hitch even if you don't feel it. Mine shook bad enough to break the tongue on a Bushtec trailer.

Spyder Garage

Why would you increase the unsprung weight of the rear wheel. Defies the logic I grew up with.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    Why would you increase the unsprung weight of the rear wheel. Defies the logic I grew up with.
    I think the engineers took the easy way out. I built a frame mounted hitch for mine that worked great. I took it off when I sold it.

Spyder Garage

I like my Pakitrak for more than normal, less than trailer. Have not tried a cooler. IMG_6694.jpg IMG_5745.jpg
    IMG_7055.jpg
    https://www.pakitrak.com/
    (copy& paste from site):
    PakitRak
    Designed to be light weight yet strong and sturdy. Fabricated from 18 ga. sheet metal and stiffened with tube steel. Attachment tube is made from 1" x 1" structural tube steel.

Receiver Brackit
    Specially designed for our Pakit Rak System. Easily installs with a few basic tools. Not designed to tow a trailer.

Pakit Rak Bag
    This bag is designed and constructed for our Pakit Rak system. Over 3,000 cu. in. inside the main compartment alone. Plus you get two expandable side compartments and a front zippered compartment.
    Dimensions:
    21" (W) x 12" (H) x 11" (D)

mounts with the trailer ball. Only need remove the tray post from receiver to use trailer. Yes there is a lot of bounce & road gunk thrown at it behind the tire & all, cover & bag are washable. Almost got the Spyder rack from Roadster renovations IMG_3233.JPGwhen lucked out on a deal for the Pakitrack
    Jt has a no hitch required. http://www.spyderstore.com
    Last edited by Bfromla; 07-02-2019 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Link

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Agree with usage comment, and that's all I am looking for is to take some load off the Chrome Accessories rack we have on the trunk lid. I am worried about vibration and shock from the unsprung hitch assy though. Any knowledge on seriousness of that concern?
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

It would have been very serious if the tongue on my trailer had come off. The violent shaking from the hitch had broken the bolts which were grade 8. How many cars or trucks have the hitch mounted to the rear axle ??. Anything that adds to unsprung weight is not good.

Spyder Garage

Fjray,
    Thanks for your input here. I am very concerned about ANY potential problem, and that is why I am researching for as much input as I can get.
    I hear your concern and that is my biggest hang-up too, but I have to ask, how do so many people tow various little trailers with their Spyders if this is an issue? Do they do something in attaching the hitch or trailer that I don't understand yet? As I said at the top here, I appreciate your input too.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

I have a Pakit Rak and it works great however the mounting bracket is designed to connect to a hitch. If you don't the hitch, I would get the one from JT - http://www.spyderstore.com.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    All movement of the rear tire is transmitted directly to the hitch even if you don't feel it. Mine shook bad enough to break the tongue on a Bushtec trailer.
    Has anyone else experienced this problem, I wonder?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    I think the engineers took the easy way out. I built a frame mounted hitch for mine that worked great. I took it off when I sold it.
    would it be possible for you post pictures and/or drawings of your hitch and mounting points? Thanks.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

IMG_1292.jpg
    I used the Can-Am hitch and took the ball out. I had a receiver welded to the hitch and have been using it with the Pakit Rac kit since 2011. At that time Dixon did not have the receiver that that would fit on the Can-Am hitch. It does bounce a bit, but in over 80k miles I have never had an issue with it. I did change from the mounting bar that Pacit Rac shipped with (originally had it on my 2004 Goldwing) and went to just a straight bar.
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    would it be possible for you post pictures and/or drawings of your hitch and mounting points? Thanks.
    Had a computer issue that trashed the pictures. On the RT there are two unused threaded holes in the frame under the rear seat. I found them when I took the rear section off. I used those for the vertical support and I used the passenger footboard mounts for the forward attachment.

I know lots of folks tow with the Spyder without issue but I towed my bushtec behind two wings and a FJR with no issues. I was on a really rough road going into Rock Springs Wy. when I had the problems with the RT. It shook enough to break the bottles in the cooler. I just think it's a poor choice for mounting and for the factory to build a frame mounted hitch the price would be sky high so you get what you see. Other than a draw bar on a tractor I haven't seen a hitch mounted to the axle. Just one opinion and it's worth just what it cost

Spyder Garage

DIY type IMG_5024.jpg FB99FDE0-2E19-47E2-8722-D60F688AAA0B.jpeg& others think this one is Rivico IMG_4579.jpgwith support armIMG_4580.jpg not sure bout this oneIMG_5190.jpg

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Has anyone else experienced this problem, I wonder?
    I had a similar problem with my Aspen knuckle off trailer, after about 2,000 miles the frame cracked where there was a weak weld where the frame is bent to meet the hitch receiver ,it was not completely broken but I found it in time. After a side plate and another plate was welded on the bottom of the frame it has held up for over 10,000 miles. The tongue on our aluminum dog trailer also broke where the tongue met the dog box. I agree with fgray that a frame mounted hitch would be much better. I keep a close eye on mine and check it often .
    A6A7BBEF-D554-485F-A7AA-7BA9EA521822.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here is a picture of my F3T with the Doc Humphries rack. I use it when the wife goes with me on trips. I also plan on using it next year for my 6 week, cross country trip. I love it. I will probably take a close look at it and reinforce some of the welds just to make sure things will be fine for the long trip next year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe that Tango had one of them... But he had trouble with it cracking the welds that held it together...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Crazy maybe , but has anyone modified, or found and bought, a trailer hitch for the Spyder that has a square tube receiver for mounting a small platform for holding a cooler or say smaller luggage items ??? I have this type setup for my car, and used it in the past for transporting a small motorcycle or bigger cooler, but I'm thinking of just room for "extra items" so you don't need a full trailer.
    I'm sure there are issues with this, but just a thought.....and I've seen some pretty wild ideas on here too
    Made my own platform of aluminum plate, reinforced with SS angle iron and bolted to the hitch. Added a GIVI topcase and away we went on 10 day ride to Gillette, Wyoming for CMA rally.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

https://rivcoproducts.com/shop/honda...ycle-rack-kit/

anything that is attached to the spyder hitch will be bounced around. But if packed carful it will last a road trip.

https://theusatrailerstore.com/quick...e-cooler-rack/