Spyder Garage

Default Spyder F3 Limited vs Deer

Friday I rode my F3 LTD to work as i often do. My job is 1 1/2 hour from my apartment traveling at highway speed (75 to 80 MPH) on IH-10 east of El Paso, TX. So Friday when I was getting close to work, I decided to use the old highway or now access road and dropped the speed to 60 MPH since I was a little early. At around 5:35 am, a deer jumped in front of me, I had no chance to swerved or braked, I hit that deer at 60 MPH. Didnt flipped the Spyder, didn't fell from it, I actually continued riding for a couple of hundred yards realizing I had just hit a deer, I finally stopped and call the authorities. I head back to where I hit the deer and noticed the deer was a Doe that had 2 babies inside of her, I felt like crap. Babies and mom were dead. The Spyder still rides, the right front tire fender got damaged, the right side panel, the whole fairing is damaged including headlights and mirrors speaker cover, etc, but with all the damaged to the fairing, the electronic display, and stereo speakers works. Most amazingly the front end of the Spyder has no damage whatsoever. I'm ok with just soreness on my back an legs. 20190628_054401.jpg20190628_054401.jpg

Spyder Garage

On two wheels, a complete different outcome.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I happy that you are not seriously hurt and hope the soreness will go away soon.

From the pictures. It all looks like all the damage is fixable with bolt on replacement parts. That will make is easy to fix. But a full detailed inspection needs to done of the right front suspension. Including the frame where the a-arms bolt to the frame. If the frame is bent. That is a big problem.

When I hit a dog with my 2013 STL. Smashed the front trunk. No suspension damage. That was a Monday nite. Ordered the parts Tuesday morning. Dropped off the Spyder at the dealer Wednesday morning. Insurance adjuster looked at it there Thursday and approved the dealer estimate. The parts came in Thursday as well. I picked it up Friday morning.

Good luck.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wow , glad to hear you weren't injured. As an LEO I investigated more than a few Auto / Deer collisions and your out-come was better than a lot of the ones involving a Car...…. Mike

Spyder Garage

Good job keeping control. No way to prevent accidents like that.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Glad you're ok and have a story to tell, Arvin!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you made it through safely. As many have said, the outcome is usually much different.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!!

Really glad that you are OK and just soreness and damage was not too bad to your ryde. Not much you could have done and as mentioned above.... glad you were on a spyder.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Good to hear you are relatively OK. Heal quickly. Your guardian angel was watching over you.
    Damage to the Spyder can be looks like more inconvenience than critical issue.
    Wish I had your luck.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I am also LEO, federal though USBP. Pleasure to chat with a brother in arms. And I thank everyone for their comments. I truly love the Spyder, hope is fix soon.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arvin View Post
    Friday I rode my F3 LTD to work as i often do. My job is 1 1/2 hour from my apartment traveling at highway speed (75 to 80 MPH) on IH-10 east of El Paso, TX. So Friday when I was getting close to work, I decided to use the old highway or now access road and dropped the speed to 60 MPH since I was a little early. At around 5:35 am, a deer jumped in front of me, I had no chance to swerved or braked, I hit that deer at 60 MPH. Didnt flipped the Spyder, didn't fell from it, I actually continued riding for a couple of hundred yards realizing I had just hit a deer, I finally stopped and call the authorities. I head back to where I hit the deer and noticed the deer was a Doe that had 2 babies inside of her, I felt like crap. Babies and mom were dead. The Spyder still rides, the right front tire fender got damaged, the right side panel, the whole fairing is damaged including headlights and mirrors speaker cover, etc, but with all the damaged to the fairing, the electronic display, and stereo speakers works. Most amazingly the front end of the Spyder has no damage whatsoever. I'm ok with just soreness on my back an legs. 20190628_054401.jpg20190628_054401.jpg
    Did the animal go up and over, or did it get punted? In any event it's great that you came away unscathed besides the soreness in your back and legs.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

So glad your OK. As said above, there is no way to prevent something like that. God was watching over you for sure.

Spyder Garage

So the insurance decided to totalled my Spyder. I came out good since all I paid was around $80 out of pocket. So now IIMG_1314.jpg got a 2019 Spyder F3S SM6 and i love it even more. I will ask all of you for advise on, a good windshield, passenger back rest, sound system and cargo cases.