Thread: What's This?

Spyder Garage

Default What's This?

I don't know whether or not this is peculiar to F3s, but it has me puzzled. On the right side of the rider's seat (not the removable passenger seat) there is a flap of leather sticking out from underneath the seat, and it snaps (two snaps) to the side of the seat itself. But it has no apparent purpose, particularly in light of the fact that the rider's seat is not easily removable.

Can anyone here tell me what that arrangement might be for?

And a second question: can the aux wiring connection either under the left cover or under the passenger seat be safely used to connect a pigtail for heated gear? Or should that go straight to the battery?

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

No clue on the seat flap but most do connect heated gear to the battery direct with an inline fuse. Messing with the wiring on these machines can bring on strange side effects....jmo
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The GPS wiring harness has power to connect accessories. The difference from the customer accessory ports are that you get power with the key on position and do not have to start the spyder. Lamonster used to give a harness to hook up to it for lighting. Using a direct connection to the battery has the risk of leaving the gear on and walking away. You may end up with a dead battery.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

The leather flap is a design element, as far as I know only on F3-S Special Series.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobil-F3 View Post
    The leather flap is a design element, as far as I know only on F3-S Special Series.
    So like studs, eh? Thanks. Evidently it comes on the F3-T Special Series as well.

Spyder Garage

To back up what AY4B said; Since you don't want to run the risk of leaving heated gear on, install a fuse block that is powered through a relay, so it is energized only when the ignition is on. I mounted one over the battery - see photo.
    Note relay under fuse block.
    FUSE BLOCK.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

To have electrical accessories independent of the bike's fussy system, I installed a fuse block powered through a relay that is energized only with the ignition on. I placed it over the battery. See upside down photo.
    FUSE BLOCK.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

To have electrical accessories independent of the bike's fussy system, I installed a fuse block powered through a relay that is energized only with the ignition on. I placed it over the battery. Relay is under the fuse block. See upside down photo.
    FUSE BLOCK.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobil-F3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BearBait View Post
    So like studs, eh? Thanks. Evidently it comes on the F3-T Special Series as well.
    I have been told by the local Dealer's sales bod that the leather flap with 2 studs on it on the F3 seat is a 'helmet holder' - and he told me that with a straight & serious expression on his face, too!

I had another look, and I guess that it is sorta possible that you could do the helmet chinstap up, then put the strap in behind the leather flap.... but it'd be a bit of a pain getting it on & fairly easy for anyone with light fingers to get off, so not really all that sure 'bout that.... altho I reckon it's probly as good a guess as any!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!