Thread: Tire Pressure

Spyder Garage

Default Tire Pressure

I have searched, but not finding an answer.
    Bought a 2011 RSS SE5.
    Has a Yokohama S Drive in the rear.
    What tire pressure should I be running?
    And I believe it has the stock front tires.
    What pressure on them?
    I didn't get an owners manual, but have one on order.

Thanks!
    2011 RSS SE5
    2011 RSS , BajaRon Orange/Matte Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Do you think maybe you should LOOK at the front tires ……. The Yoko on the rear will work best at 17 psi ….. let us know what you have on the front ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

You can download a manual from the Can Am web site. Just google up can am manuals

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the reply.
    For reasons I will not go into, I was unable to look at the fronts when I asked the pressure question.
    I figured the manual would tell me the front pressure once I got it. But since the Yokohama is aftermarket, I wasn't sure what pressure most had been successful with.
    I was gathering info so that when I am medically released to ride, I would have everything ready to go.
    2011 RSS SE5
    2011 RSS , BajaRon Orange/Matte Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hollybry View Post
    Thank you for the reply.
    For reasons I will not go into, I was unable to look at the fronts when I asked the pressure question.
    I figured the manual would tell me the front pressure once I got it. But since the Yokohama is aftermarket, I wasn't sure what pressure most had been successful with.
    I was gathering info so that when I am medically released to ride, I would have everything ready to go.
    I'm sure you aren't thanking me. But I had no idea you might be physically challenged - even if it's only temporary, and for that I apologize …… However, something for future posts …. the more and better the info from the OP ( you in this case ) - the better the answer you are going to get. …… Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hollybry View Post
    I have searched, but not finding an answer.
    Bought a 2011 RSS SE5.
    Has a Yokohama S Drive in the rear.
    What tire pressure should I be running?
    And I believe it has the stock front tires.
    What pressure on them?
    I didn't get an owners manual, but have one on order.

Thanks!
    I think it's 18-20 psi on the OEM fronts. You can probably safely use the same psi on your aftermarket rear tire. Just to keep things simple
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm sure you aren't thanking me. But I had no idea you might be physically challenged - even if it's only temporary, and for that I apologize …… However, something for future posts …. the more and better the info from the OP ( you in this case ) - the better the answer you are going to get. …… Mike
    Mike, I know what you mean and in general I would agree. But, in this case, I thought the info she provided was adequate to be able to provide a useful response.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have to somewhat agree with BK911. There seems to be a tire psi discussion on "what's new" every other day. It's a never ending subject. There 17 pages here on this site if you search for "tire pressure."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I have to somewhat agree with BK911. There seems to be a tire psi discussion on "what's new" every other day. It's a never ending subject. There 17 pages here on this site if you search for "tire pressure."
    And that's only because 17 pages is the maximum limit I suppose.

One thing I did to discern correct (?) tire pressure for car tires on a Spyder was to use the wet tire footprint method (some folks use chalk, but that makes a mess). On a dry smooth concrete floor (a slick garage floor works great) air your tires up too high (don't exceed max sidewall). Use a spray bottle of water to wet the front of the tire, then roll forward until you see the tire footprint appear behind the tire. Measure the width and compare to the tread pattern. Is the full tread on the ground? If so, you have the correct pressure. If only the center (narrow footprint), you'll have to lower the pressure and try again. I was actually uncomfortable with how low my tires ended up being (15F/16R unladen), despite all the signs that I was doing everything right. Better ride, tire grips better. Turning is marginally more firm than a hard tire (fronts), but the power steering takes care of that. Definitely tracks straighter with less darting than a hard tire.

On the Kenda tires, absolutely stick with the recommended pressures. I consider them third world crap. should be a tire label somewhere on the bike, my newer model is under the seat.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Mike, I know what you mean and in general I would agree. But, in this case, I thought the info she provided was adequate to be able to provide a useful response.
    Well if you RE-READ my orig. reply ….. I did give My Best answer based on the info supplied …. not 4 versions of well if it's this or if it's that ….. Mike