Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default After market seat comparison

Okay guys I just returned from a 18 day road trip with my Rt and it did great. I averaged 38 miles per and did a total of 4600 miles. I have but one complaint. the seat has to go. So I am looking to replace the stocker. I see mustang offers one . there was another brand but the names escapes my memory at this time. I really do like long rides but my back side cant take much more of the stocker... have any of you tried this seat and if there are other seats out there please any help is appreciated . .

Spyder Garage

Actually sat on both a Russel day long seat today and also an Ultimate Seat ( Tall boy) and I really like how the Ultimate seat felt, and really like how it felt around the lower back.

https://ultimateseats.ca/

https://day-long.com/
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MOSESS View Post
    Okay guys I just returned from a 18 day road trip with my Rt and it did great. I averaged 38 miles per and did a total of 4600 miles. I have but one complaint. the seat has to go. So I am looking to replace the stocker. I see mustang offers one . there was another brand but the names escapes my memory at this time. I really do like long rides but my back side cant take much more of the stocker... have any of you tried this seat and if there are other seats out there please any help is appreciated . .
    Ultimate for me. Got one and I and the wife love it...
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Spyder Garage

Stock seat killed me within 5 mins in the showroom. Bought a used RTL with a Russell Day Long and love it.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Last 3 distance bikes, 1995 Goldwing 1500, 2004 Goldwing 1800 and our current 2018 Spyder RTL have all had Diamond seats. They are made on their own seat pan, (some have you send in the stock seat and they rebuild it on the stock pan) to our weights and measurements. Gloria didn't like staring at the back of my helmet, so she had them make the passenger seat 1 1/2" higher so she can now peek over my head not just around it. They have a choice of stitch patterns and materials for the seat cover. As most custom seats, they aren't cheap, but we found it well worth it when we run 600 mile days. There are many good seat makers out there, Russel Day Long, Hartco (I believe they are a sister company of Diamond) Sargent and others. Most custom seat makers will modify the seat after a time if it doesn't quite fit you. Corbin makes both a off the shelf and a custom to you seat for most motorcycles, and Ultimate, Mustang and others make good off the shelf aftermarket seats in different models. If you have the time check out a Spyder gathering and see if you can't have a sit on different brands.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

I am heading up to spyder odyssey so ill see if I can sit and possibly ride with different seats....

Spyder Garage

I bought a Corbin seat for my RT. It is very supportive, what some call "hard" but it does soften some as you break it in.
    They totally custom built mine. Moved drivers portion up 2" and back 3". I am 6ft 6 inches and never carry a passenger,
    so the back seat area has been shortened. Hey I am tall and heavy, and it was just what I needed. They aren't cheap. but you get what
    you pay for.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Butts are like opinions, everybody has at least one. Yours is the only one that can tell you which is most comfortable for YOU. Although I don't own one on this web site I have never say anything bad about a Russell Day Long Spyder seat.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Save your money......I have had the same problem with stock seats. I have purchased an Air Hawk cushion that I place under my Alaskan Leather cover. I must tell you I have experience such a comfortable ride that is amazing. I recently took a 3000 mile trip 600 plus miles a day when riding and I have been very comfortable. Before I couldn't sit still for 1 hour in the seat.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What's your budget?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

4 MARIE ,,,We are the same height , I am about 245,,,i two up a few times a year, I had a Sargent seat and a Corbin, loved them both on my st11 and 13 Hondas ... For years I have heard that the Russell day longs are great seats. my budget 800 to 1400.00, Due to the bride riding with me I cant move the seat back more than 2 inches....Yeochips I tried the air hawks and felt I was sitting to high up.plus I need to move back a bit...

Spyder Garage

I am heading up to spyder odyssey so ill see if I can sit and possibly ride with different seats....
    Very good idea. Seats are very personal. The more you can try and test, the more likely you are to find the one that is best for you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I love my Laam. Laamseats.com
    I have 40,000 miles on it (16 months) and it is perfect. Perfect for me, anyway. Custom fit to my butt. About half the cost of a daylong, which we have 2 of on other bikes
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

There was a very good comparison of three seats done by a forum member a couple of years ago. Type "three seat comparison" in the white box at the top right corner and look for it. Was done by tehrlich. I may have the spelling of his name a little off but not hard to find..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Loved the Ultimate when I had my RT.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This is only a suggestion.
    Before you lay out about $800 to over $1000 dollars on a new seat give this a try.
    There is nothing wrong with your stock seat that can't be fixed, most if not all seat problems
    are because you are sitting in one position for long periods of time with your legs spread apart
    this can and will cause HOT spots or pressure points and they hurt like hell. Several years ago
    the company who makes my Gel pads invented the Medical Gel used in hospitals today, it is made
    to put in the hospital beds for people who lay in bed in one position all day and night, this causes
    BED SORES that in time open and bleed. I have been using this same GEL in the seats I build for years
    my customers love it and now, my GEL comes with Memory Foam on it as well this makes it more comfortable
    and cooler to sit on. The one in this photo was for a rider with a broken tail bone, "see the cut out part in back"
    This is an easy to do yourself modification to your seat and it is only $79.95 for the Gel Kit,
    what do you have to loose ? at most $79.00 but you will save HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS.
    Just ask folks here on this forum they will tell you what they think.
    conformax.jpgGEL embedded in seat.jpg
    Call me anytime I will be glad to help
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Thanks Dave , I am also looking to get the seat moved back 2 inches. and still have the stock back rest....is this possible to accomplish .

Spyder Garage

I will be doing this tomorrow ...installing pad and moving back an inch...we will see.

Spyder Garage

My issue with the stock seat is the "cup" - for want of a better term - at the back of the driver's seat. When riding solo, the top part of the "cup" is pushing into my back. Maybe if I put the drivers backrest on again it'll be better, but I haven't done it yet.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

I trimmed the the stock seat both in the front where your brains are sitting and took away the steep angle ...much better. I trimmed the entire outer edge of the bucket including the lumbar area. I moved myself back 1.5 inches and lowered an inch. The Dave gel pad is great. I made my own custom seat and so far good. I need to take to a local upholstery guy to remove some of the excess seat material after removing so much foam. added Highway pegs and tri axis bars...very comfortable all for less then a high end seat would cost.

Spyder Garage

Thopper do you have a back rest.

Spyder Garage

Yes show chrome...this arraignment is fantastic for me.

Spyder Garage

One of the options I was looking at is to keep the stock backrest and move the drive section back 2inches.....I may have to buy a comfort seat and send it to Russell day long...

Spyder Garage

I moved back about 1.250 inches and use the backrest as is. The way the backrest tilts it works. I would try carving the the seat before you buy the comfort seat...nothing to loose if youare buying a new seat anyway. Taking the seat off can be a headache if you dont have the right tool. I bour a right angle drill driver and this made it very easy.

Spyder Garage

Okay I have the stock seat with a stock back rest you saying that there is enough room to move back another inch and a quarter and keep the back rest... okay if that possible ill try it.....