Spyder Garage

Spyder Genius map communication problem..

Question for Genius map afficionados...got Genius maps on my Android (Samsung Galaxy S4) and it works fine in the car, But on the 2018 Spyder RT Ltd, I can see it on the dash in BRP Connect, but when I try to bring it up, I get a message to configure it and can't do that even after repeated attempts...I paid the $44.95 fee but I'm wondering now if there is some other fee I need to pay to get it to connect correctly to the Spyder dash system????
    I asked on some Genius website (which I subsequently lost and can't retrieve)...something about a 'Car Connection' feature for extra $$$...

Frustrated in Indiana.....

2 Wheels (ST1100, Marauder, Honda Shadow, Honda Rebel) 3 wheels (2018 Spyder RT Ltd)

Foam grip covers
    Tri-Axis Handlebars.....

Spyder Garage

You need to buy the maps. In our case the North America map..approx. cost $45.00 this is in addition to the fee you just paid. Are you pressing the app. Switch on the backside of the left handlebar?

Spyder Garage

Indeed I am using the switch...I get the little boxes same as the phone itself, BUT when I click to open the Genisis maps it tells me something like 'connect the application'...not sure the exact words less I go out and try it again....you mean to tell me it is going to be $90 to use it????

2 Wheels (ST1100, Marauder, Honda Shadow, Honda Rebel) 3 wheels (2018 Spyder RT Ltd)

Foam grip covers
    Tri-Axis Handlebars.....

Spyder Garage

I decided to just buy and install a Garmin. Part of my reasoning is that my android phone needs to be unlocked everytime I stopped and I don't use the music apps either

Spyder Garage

I have an older Garmin 255 but you just can't see the screen in the daylight...in car is fine, not on the bike...tried one of those covers for the screen and it was a waste...might have to go with a newer GPS for motorcycles...but mebbe not, don't really plan on any long trips other than the Dragon (300 miles one way) and I've been on that so many times I can get there in my sleep...went on it way back before it was a 'destination' with a Dodge Club Cab towing an Apache trailer...lol

Foam grip covers
    Tri-Axis Handlebars.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes there is a connectivity fee so it will work in the vehicle's dash. You go to Settings, then Vehicle Connectivity, then choose North America, then make the purchase.

Also, the first time you open ANY app in the dash you need to check the phone and you'll see a popup asking for you to "allow" the app to be opened by the bike. Especially for the GPS apps. I believe, for the Androids, you can allow it without opening in the dash? Hopefully an Android used with chime in.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks flamwinger for the information....

Foam grip covers
    Tri-Axis Handlebars.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hershey View Post
    Indeed I am using the switch...I get the little boxes same as the phone itself, BUT when I click to open the Genisis maps it tells me something like 'connect the application'...not sure the exact words less I go out and try it again....you mean to tell me it is going to be $90 to use it????
    There are 2 purchases I had to make, but I also got a $90 rebate card back from BRP that came along with my purchase of a new 2018 RTL. If you didn't get one I would check with your dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Yes there is a connectivity fee so it will work in the vehicle's dash. You go to Settings, then Vehicle Connectivity, then choose North America, then make the purchase.

Also, the first time you open ANY app in the dash you need to check the phone and you'll see a popup asking for you to "allow" the app to be opened by the bike. Especially for the GPS apps. I believe, for the Androids, you can allow it without opening in the dash? Hopefully an Android used with chime in.
    Yep - you can use Genius maps on the phone w/o connecting to the dash if you wish. You can also use your purchase codes to load Genius maps onto a standalone Android tablet if you wish as well. You've got a lot of good options with Genius maps on Android.

Spyder Garage

Well, gotta say the second purchase solved the problem with the Genius maps..works like a charm on the Spyder now...thanks for the tip about the rebate...I'll check with them..was the rebate for Genius maps or something else should the salesman ask me....

Foam grip covers
    Tri-Axis Handlebars.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hershey View Post
    Well, gotta say the second purchase solved the problem with the Genius maps..works like a charm on the Spyder now...thanks for the tip about the rebate...I'll check with them..was the rebate for Genius maps or something else should the salesman ask me....
    I think it was for any map program you buy. You just need a copy of the receipt. I'm sure your dealer could help, I purchased mine at the end of April, not sure what time frame the rebate ran.

Spyder Garage

Ah, ok, thanks for the heads up.....

Foam grip covers
    Tri-Axis Handlebars.....

Spyder Garage

I purchased Genius maps but have not been able to get it to work within BRP connect. Your suggestion makes sense but how can you "allow" the app to be opened by the bike when the phone's screen is blanked out after you connect the cable?
    2018 RT , Silver

Spyder Garage

Why not use Google maps? it's free and is always up-to-date. You can also download maps off-line and use them even if you don't have a cell connection

Spyder Garage

Default Genius Maps

I have just purchased a 2019 Spyder RT Limited and have tried to get Genius Maps to work through BRP connect but to no avail. I purchased pro guidance and vehicle connectivity $85 total. When I try to start Genius from BRP connect I get a message that basically says "unplug your phone and configure the app for connectivity". I have struggle with this for almost a week. I updated my BRP connect program to the latest version. I am curious if other 2019 Spyder owners have been able to get Genius maps to work on their bikes. Thanks.
    2018 RT , Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderwebb View Post
    I purchased Genius maps but have not been able to get it to work within BRP connect. Your suggestion makes sense but how can you "allow" the app to be opened by the bike when the phone's screen is blanked out after you connect the cable?
    The first time you open the app on the dash you need to check the phone and see the popup and click OK. Then it will open every time. Any new app will require this.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red