Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Cramped seating for driver?

I went to my local Can Am Dealer to look at the 2019 Spyder RT LTD. I sat on the seat, put my hands on the handlebars and felt cramped!! I'm only 5'-10" with a 30" inseam! I have a 2018 Yamaha XMax Scooter and do not feel cramped on it! The lumbar support seat hits my ass end... and I feel that I need to slide back another couple of inches... and my arms are bent in too far, I feel!

Is there any suggestions about any seats that may have more room for the driver? I almost never carry a pillion, so that's not really an issue! Someone suggested that I spend the $750 and get the Can Am Comfort Seat and get possibly another 1 - 1 1/2 inches more room! Really!!??? After spending almost $30K on a new RT LTD... Can Am says you ave to spend an add'l $750 for a seat??? Why can't this be an option when you buy the bike... you know, "Upgrade to the Comfort Seat for only $200 more"?? Even if you order the Comfot Seat on the original bike... they charge you the same price as if you were to order one later!! What's up with that??? Again... looking for suggestions!!

Yes, I sat on the F3 LTD! LOVED the seat, the add'l room for you arms and your legs!! So, I would like to buy an RT LTD with the seating and floorboards of the F3 LTD... with all of the extra room!! ha ha ha

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

We have am RTL also I am about your size a little taller, we always ride 2 up ( or else ) I purchased the pegs from Lamont to help me stretch out a bit and just lean back a bit and enjoy the ride. I am still playing with the angle and distance for the pegs, but they helped. I do not know if he previous owner upgraded to the comfort seat or not. Hope this helps
    Dave
    2013 RT Limited
    Lamonster FBB with larger gripper pegs
    Value Accessories dah mount
    Custom Dynamics High Mount brake light
    BRP passenger arm rests

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

You were lucky with your current bike having a seat that was just right for you, but people spends thousands of dollars on motorcycle seats everyday for all models of bikes. The Comfort Seat at $750 is about half the price you’d pay for other aftermarket Spyder seats. They are built for the masses asses and yours must be different! I had a Comfort Seat on my RT and it was awesome for me, I’m 5’10” with a 34” inseam.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Stock seats have NO Lumbar support …. so don't expect one to be there...… If you don't fit onto a stock seat ….well how big is your butt ??? ….. not trying to be snide …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Hi Mike... by "lumbar support", I'm referring to the back portion of the drivers area that is raised up 4-5". With my butt against the back of the driver's seat, I still feel cramped! I don't know if an add'l inch or inch and 1/2 is going to solve that issue! I'm 5-10 and about 255#, so I'm a larger fella!! A custom seast may be the only way to get comfort!! Thanks!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pflasch View Post
    I went to my local Can Am Dealer to look at the 2019 Spyder RT LTD. I sat on the seat, put my hands on the handlebars and felt cramped!! I'm only 5'-10" with a 30" inseam! I have a 2018 Yamaha XMax Scooter and do not feel cramped on it! The lumbar support seat hits my ass end... and I feel that I need to slide back another couple of inches... and my arms are bent in too far, I feel!

Is there any suggestions about any seats that may have more room for the driver? I almost never carry a pillion, so that's not really an issue! Someone suggested that I spend the $750 and get the Can Am Comfort Seat and get possibly another 1 - 1 1/2 inches more room! Really!!??? After spending almost $30K on a new RT LTD... Can Am says you ave to spend an add'l $750 for a seat??? Why can't this be an option when you buy the bike... you know, "Upgrade to the Comfort Seat for only $200 more"?? Even if you order the Comfot Seat on the original bike... they charge you the same price as if you were to order one later!! What's up with that??? Again... looking for suggestions!!

Yes, I sat on the F3 LTD! LOVED the seat, the add'l room for you arms and your legs!! So, I would like to buy an RT LTD with the seating and floorboards of the F3 LTD... with all of the extra room!! ha ha ha
    Feelings are personal but for example, I am 6'-4" and 200 lbs with a 35" inseam and don't feel cramped on my 2017 RT, plus I always ride with a passenger and we use the stock seat. Based on my own experience it's hard to understand how you could feel cramped and I/we don't. In fact, I bought my RT over the F3 because the design of the F3 puts a little piece of fiberglass that juts out from the body right where my knees are and felt painful right there in the showroom. I'm betting you just aren't accustomed to your RT yet. Use it more before you start changing things.

If you really want to start changing things, don't change the seat first, not because I'm arguing with your feelings but because you might get better results with Tri-Axis handlebars and LaMonster's forward foot pegs. Tri-Axis handlebars could move the bars "away" from you and relieve your feeling of "my arms are bent in too far," not to mention possibly being a more comfortable position for riding. The pegs will let you stretch your legs on the highway. I don't have the Tri-Axis because I personally don't need them but I'll vouch for the pegs. These fixes aren't exactly cheap BUT they'll never be a **waste** as a new seat might be. You could end up changing seats several times trying to find one you like and each one will be a big expense -- and you might still being unhappy with it and end up STILL needing the Tri-Axis handlebars and foot pegs.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

I Just got a 2019 RTL. I am only about 5'9" and I was very cramped on the stock seat. It put my foot so far forward on the board that I had to lift my leg to get to brake pedal. I test road the demo they had with a comfort seat. I would not have bought the RTL without that comfort seat or a plan to get another seat. I do not know if the seats are different on the older RT's, but the 2019 was a no go. I paid $500 after discount from my dealer to get the comfort seat with my new bike. I was told it was more than an 1.5 inch change, but I did not measure it. I will say it made all the difference in the world.
    2019 RTL

Farkles
    BRP Comfort Seat.
    Foam Grips
    Lidlox
    BRP Passenger armrests
    Baja Ron Anti sway bar
    Lamonster's upgraded BRP vibration damper.
    2019 RTL , Asphalt Grey Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

I bought a Corbin seat for my RT. It is very supportive, what some call "hard" but it does soften some as you break it in.
    They totally custom built mine. Moved drivers portion up 2" and back 3". I am 6ft 6 inches and never carry a passenger,
    so the back seat area has been shortened. Hey I am tall and heavy, and it was just what I needed. They aren't cheap. but you get what
    you pay for.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

I’m about the same size and weight as you are and felt cramped also, I found a Used Comfort seat on Spyder Lovers for sell post for $200 and it solved my problem, I’ve put 42K on my RT the last 3 years; we are on a Coast to Coast and back trip as I’m posting this and the seat is working great. I have also added highway pegs and that helps to.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You were lucky with your current bike having a seat that was just right for you, but people spends thousands of dollars on motorcycle seats everyday for all models of bikes. The Comfort Seat at $750 is about half the price you’d pay for other aftermarket Spyder seats. They are built for the masses asses and yours must be different! I had a Comfort Seat on my RT and it was awesome for me, I’m 5’10” with a 34” inseam.
    Ditto here. Was lucky and got a used comfort seat on this forum for less than 1/2 OEM price. 5'9" with 32" inseam. Cockpit feels roomy now. Wife has her own RT, so passenger seat room not an issue.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Feelings are personal but for example, I am 6'-4" and 200 lbs with a 35" inseam and don't feel cramped on my 2017 RT, plus I always ride with a passenger and we use the stock seat. Based on my own experience it's hard to understand how you could feel cramped and I/we don't. In fact, I bought my RT over the F3 because the design of the F3 puts a little piece of fiberglass that juts out from the body right where my knees are and felt painful right there in the showroom. I'm betting you just aren't accustomed to your RT yet. Use it more before you start changing things.

If you really want to start changing things, don't change the seat first, not because I'm arguing with your feelings but because you might get better results with Tri-Axis handlebars and LaMonster's forward foot pegs. Tri-Axis handlebars could move the bars "away" from you and relieve your feeling of "my arms are bent in too far," not to mention possibly being a more comfortable position for riding. The pegs will let you stretch your legs on the highway. I don't have the Tri-Axis because I personally don't need them but I'll vouch for the pegs. These fixes aren't exactly cheap BUT they'll never be a **waste** as a new seat might be. You could end up changing seats several times trying to find one you like and each one will be a big expense -- and you might still being unhappy with it and end up STILL needing the Tri-Axis handlebars and foot pegs.
    and think the triaxis bars should be standard on the RTL
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You might take a look at 2019 F150. It will likely cost less and give you all the support and comfort you desire.

Spyder Garage

Interesting info on seats. I do not have a spyder yet, but have ridden 2 wheelers for a very long time. I do not have a butt for riding bikes, meaning stock seats just don't do me any good. I have used stock seats, Mustang, Ultimate and E.D seats. For me the Ultimate was about the best. I currently have a Diamond seat on order for my ride. As many people have stated. Seats are made for the mass. It's expensive to find the perfect seat. Good luck to all.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check with the iron butt riders, they'll give you an insight on the best after market seats out there.

Spyder Garage

Jarvis, I have a buddy that last I heard lived in Pahrump retired from the Navy. Known as "fuzzy" go guy if you know him.
    Need to do more traveling
    2018 Limited , Grey (Looks green to me but title says grey)

Spyder Garage

Lonestar, Sorry for not responding. I guess I speed read and missed this one. Pahrump Valley has about 39k spread in an area about the size of Las Vegas. Short answer is it doesn't ring a bell, but if he rides any type of bike, I have possibly met him.

Bob

Spyder Garage

I also have the Comfort heated seat(Free courtesy of BRP) and it helped alot! 5"11 30+ inseam.

Go here and they show pics to show how much longer the comf is.
    https://www.utpr.com/spyderrtcomfort.html
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Buy a used comfort seat and install it yourself. That's what I did...for about $165 with shipping
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I went to my local Can Am Dealer to look at the 2019 Spyder RT LTD. I sat on the seat, put my hands on the handlebars and felt cramped!! I'm only 5'-10" with a 30" inseam! I have a 2018 Yamaha XMax Scooter and do not feel cramped on it! The lumbar support seat hits my ass end... and I feel that I need to slide back another couple of inches... and my arms are bent in too far, I feel!<snip>
    Strangely enough, I did the same thing, with the same results, on Saturday. Sitting bolt-upright, elbows down at my side. Claustrophobic.

Spyder Garage

Ultiumate makes a seat that is 1 1/2" longer/butt setback. I actually ordered that and had to return it. It sat me back too far. I'm 5'8" with 27 inch inseam. But for MY thinking, Ultimate makes a really good seat. Who makes the 'best?' Only your butt knows.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Buy a used comfort seat and install it yourself. That's what I did...for about $165 with shipping
    I would love to find a used one, but unable. I rode about 50 miles today and that's about it for the stock seat. I'm 5'9" - 210 lbs, 30" inseam but my seat is not hacking it. Anyone have a comfort seat for an RT they don't want no-mo, let me know.

Thanks, Bob

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Is the "Comfort Seat" the one that comes stock on the RT Limited? If so, I have one (barely used) I'd love to sell. It's off my 2014 and barely used.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    Is the "Comfort Seat" the one that comes stock on the RT Limited? If so, I have one (barely used) I'd love to sell. It's off my 2014 and barely used.
    I would just measure like this: https://www.utpr.com/spyderrtcomfort.html I would assume that if the measurement is 18 inches, then the answer would/could be yes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    No, the comfort seat does not come as standard equipment on the RTL
    2014 RTL Platinum