Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Headlight issues on 2014 RTL

Anyone know the Bulb life expected and the warranty period of TRIC-RT-LEDHG ?
    We just noticed last night (We don't usually run at night at all) that my left front headlight isn't working.
    I installed TRIC-RT-LEDHG bulbs (ordered from Value-Accessories) in mid-January of 2018.
    Mileage since then is approx. 9,000 if that helps.
    I "thought" I had kept the old factory bulbs (which were working at the time) but right now I can't find them or the installation instructions.

Also, the only info I can find about the original BRP bulbs is "H4 - 60W", but there appears to be a whole family of H4 bulbs in different configurations on the web.

To replace in a hurry, what bulb specs/model would I buy at - say "OReilly's ??

Input appreciated.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Anyone know the Bulb life expected and the warranty period of TRIC-RT-LEDHG ?
    We just noticed last night (We don't usually run at night at all) that my left front headlight isn't working.
    I installed TRIC-RT-LEDHG bulbs (ordered from Value-Accessories) in mid-January of 2018.
    Mileage since then is approx. 9,000 if that helps.
    I "thought" I had kept the old factory bulbs (which were working at the time) but right now I can't find them or the installation instructions.

Also, the only info I can find about the original BRP bulbs is "H4 - 60W", but there appears to be a whole family of H4 bulbs in different configurations on the web.

To replace in a hurry, what bulb specs/model would I buy at - say "OReilly's ??

Input appreciated.
    Howdy;

An H4 is an H4. It's an industry-standard base (also known as #9003 / HB2).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ght_bulb_types

Hence - any Sylvania, Osram, Philips, etc halogen bulb at yer store will fit. Always replace in PAIRS. Always use OEM-specified wattages. Use of the 80w/100w variants WILL do damage.

Here's a list at O' Reilly's: https://www.oreillyauto.com/search?q...Headlight+Bulb

Fer install instructions - it's in the manwell, starting on page 151 - available here: http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...4-f9aacd912fc1

PS - you've discovered the reality of poorly-engineered, cheap LED aftermarket crap, lol

Cheers
    E

Spyder Garage

A pair of Sylvania 9005 bulbs are in fact H3s. FWIW, for the time involved to replace just one do both at the same time as you must remove the front fascia. For the upper center 10 mm bolt on each headlight assembly hold the bolt in the socket wrench with a small piece of painter's tape (tip courtesy of Ann Meyer of Squared Away) or a small dab of dielectric grease. Note which hole the adjusting cable is mounted in before you remove it; it is probably marked with a colored grease pencil.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    A pair of Sylvania 9005 bulbs are in fact H3s. FWIW, for the time involved to replace just one do both at the same time as you must remove the front fascia. For the upper center 10 mm bolt on each headlight assembly hold the bolt in the socket wrench with a small piece of painter's tape (tip courtesy of Ann Meyer of Squared Away) or a small dab of dielectric grease. Note which hole the adjusting cable is mounted in before you remove it; it is probably marked with a colored grease pencil.
    According to the 2014 RT manual, it specifies H4 (9003) for headlights.

9005's are HB3's. And not anywhere the same as an H3.

Cheers
    E

Spyder Garage

9005 style bulb is the correct one for '14 and later 's.

The 360* LED bulb from " the company that cannot be mentioned" is a great bulb. Cindy at the previously named company replaced an older model LED that failed-- no questions asked!!
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    9005 style bulb is the correct one for '14 and later 's.

Howdy & thankee fer that.

For headlights? The allegedly-current online 2014 RT Owner's guide is incorrect, then? Sheesh... who woulda thought, eh?

Still - it sure ain't an H3, lol!

Hedging my bets - here's a list of O'Reilly's 9005 / HB3 halogen bulbs.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/search?q=9005+bulbs

Cheers
    E

EDIT - PS - a 360 deg LED bulb is a physical impossibility - IF you want to actually effectively heatsink the emitter. The heatpipe/substrate will Always shroud the LED to some degree. Unless it's some sort of Alien Tech? In that case, I'm in, lol! BTW - got's a pic of this unicorn? I'm always up fer learnin' sumfin' new.

EDIT - PPS - WTF's the dealeo here with all of this "Vendors that shall not be named" stuff? Seems counterproductive to me. Give, fellers - even a Reader's Digest version, lol!

Spyder Garage

Interesting you consider the TRICLED bulbs to be "poorly-engineered, cheap LED aftermarket crap" (??)
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Said owners guide has been wrong before...........

But I'll check again.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    According to the 2014 RT manual, it specifies H4 (9003) for headlights.

9005's are HB3's. And not anywhere the same as an H3.

Cheers
    E
    WELL THE MANUAL IS WRONG !!!!!!! …………….I have an RT 2014 and the bulbs are 9005 or HB3 !!!!! ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Said owners guide has been wrong before...........

But I'll check again.

Checked a different source ( Lamonster ) -------

Again--- the 9005 is the correct headlight bulb for a late model spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Interesting you consider the TRICLED bulbs to be "poorly-engineered, cheap LED aftermarket crap" (??)
    Yep. Sorry.

Almost ALL of the cheap ( and hugely marked-up) garbage being peddled start by throwing the Emitter Manufacturer's Reference design specification for power input, safe output, heatsink requirements, power supply requirements... and THROW it out the window.

To be replaced with all the various ridiculous, compromised (for the sake of bling, marketing and profit) POS designs being sold to the poor masses. Specs are bogus, lifespans rating are bogus, product testing & reliability is non-existent - even the color spectrum and CRI is wrong for intended use.

Most don't care / won't listen / don't know enough to question or measure all of this for themselves. For me it was my life.

I sure don't lose any sleep over it, lol. I mean, 100,000 flies simply CANNOT be wrong, eh? lol

Carry on.

Cheers
    E

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    WELL THE MANUAL IS WRONG !!!!!!! …………….I have an RT 2014 and the bulbs are 9005 or HB3 !!!!! ….. Mike
    Outstanding. Quick - Someone tell, BRP, lol. And the OP.

And it STILL isn't an H3... lmao !!!

Cheers
    E

Spyder Garage

OH ----BTW,
    I think that TricLED 360* LED's are made just fine. I've put aftermarket leds in all my vehicles but I don't buy the cheap ones. You do get what you pay for.

Lew L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had put TricLED LED bulbs in my 2014 RT-L at SpyderFest 2016.
    My dealership called me about a Month ago, and wanted to know where I had bought them: one of them had stopped working, and the current owners of the bike needed a replacement.

By the way: I'm glad to see that their name is no longer being censored in here... Thanks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

There seemed to be a problem with the bulbs on the 2014. I replaced the OEM bulbs twice in two years. Of course, only one burned out at a time.

I changed to TriCLED, about three years ago. I have NOT had a problem since. The OEM's were NOT LED bulbs.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I hope this doesn't start another oil type, tire brand, tire air pressure war.

"By the way: I'm glad to see that their name is no longer being censored in here... Thanks! "

Spyder Garage

"By the way: I'm glad to see that their name is no longer being censored in here... Thanks! "
    War? For sharing hard-won experience with other fellers? Nupe - I've no need fer that nonsense. Not my eyes, my bike, my money, or my life. Folks can go find all of this public-domain factual data all on their own. But they won't. Mass myopia tends to be the norm. Tough - for them.

Fact - LED's have been commercially available since the late 60's / early 70's. Which is how long I've been involved with them. The fundamental Physics and constraints were established looong ago. A fancy box and slick sales verbiage does not change that one iota.

Cheers
    E

Spyder Garage

Many members felt the same way. It was worked out behind the scenes.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The 2014 operator's guide has far more than an acceptable number of errors in it, not the least of which is the number for the headlight bulbs. I took the number off the burned out bulbs which were Phillips brand. Never buy a halogen bulb from a Can Am dealer because, in addition to costing more than ones from an auto parts store, the OEM replacement bulbs are not in a sealed package like the auto parts store bulbs so you never know if a greasy fingered parts guy has handled them before you showed up.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    The 2014 operator's guide has far more than an acceptable number of errors in it, not the least of which is the number for the headlight bulbs. I took the number off the burned out bulbs which were Phillips brand. Never buy a halogen bulb from a Can Am dealer because, in addition to costing more than ones from an auto parts store, the OEM replacement bulbs are not in a sealed package like the auto parts store bulbs so you never know if a greasy fingered parts guy has handled them before you showed up.
    ……...however, I have learned to clean all halogen bulbs with Alcohol before using them …. and use thin gloves when putting them in......jmho … Mike

Spyder Garage

I have one working Tricled LED headlamp from the April 2018 time frame that may match yours. I have been saving just for a case like this. If you want it, you can have it for shipping charges only. Here is a picture. PM me if you want to give it a try.

20190629_141431[1].jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Contact Tricled. They have excellent customer service on there items even though you purchased from another vendor.

Spyder Garage

To ALL actually helpful parties.......................In response to an email info request I submitted on their website, Cindy at TRICled has already emailed me back and will contact me next week.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

CE models High Beam: Halogen, 2 x 65 W (type H9) Low Beam: Halogen, 2 x 60 W Headlight

Headlight Other Models Halogen, 2 x 60 W (type H4)

Not sure if this is considered helpful?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    Howdy & thankee fer that.

For headlights? The allegedly-current online 2014 RT Owner's guide is incorrect, then? Sheesh... who woulda thought, eh?

Still - it sure ain't an H3, lol!

Hedging my bets - here's a list of O'Reilly's 9005 / HB3 halogen bulbs.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/search?q=9005+bulbs

Cheers
    E

EDIT - PS - a 360 deg LED bulb is a physical impossibility - IF you want to actually effectively heatsink the emitter. The heatpipe/substrate will Always shroud the LED to some degree. Unless it's some sort of Alien Tech? In that case, I'm in, lol! BTW - got's a pic of this unicorn? I'm always up fer learnin' sumfin' new.

EDIT - PPS - WTF's the dealeo here with all of this "Vendors that shall not be named" stuff? Seems counterproductive to me. Give, fellers - even a Reader's Digest version, lol!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here ya go:

Here is the quote from the tricLED website.
    "
    " Our LED headlight has an all new 360° light output and this creates zero darkspots unlike LED's with only a 2 side output."

It looks different than other headlight LEDs that I've seen and they work great.

For a few months the tricLED company had some " differences" with the owners of the site and was not allowed to have its name displayed, but the site users tried to get around the administrators ban. But all is better now.

Lew L