Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default M2/Elka/Fox front Shocks - RTL ride height

A question aimed at those who have fitted the aftermarket M2, Elka or Fox Shocks to their RTL.

1. Did the fitting of these raise the ride height at the front by any noticeable amount, when fitted as configured from the factory.
    2. If you went rear too, has the RTL ride height adjustment played nicely with the new setup?
    3. What affect did fitting just the fronts have on the rear behavior if you only replaced fronts?
    4. If any of the Elka/M2/Fox shocks increase ride firmness, how has the hardware/tupperware on coped with the extra vibration, or hasn't it been an issue?
    5. Has anyone changed the oil from factory to a different weight?
    6. Is changing settings mid journey feasible/practical/no?
    7. Did you feel the fitting of one of these brands of shock (front and rear) negate the need for a sway-bar?
    8. Have the shocks been able to be removed from your earlier model RTL and fitted to later models to date?

My wife is very low weight, and 90% of our touring (with her as pillion) is done with the rear air suspension on the lowest setting, above that and it gets a bit harsh for her. If these shocks raise the front then its safe to assume that, in order for the RTL to be leveled, the rear air bag will raise the rear to level the RTL out and bring with it, a harsher ride.

One other issue being the front windscreen strut, and its tendency to fracture from vibration crosses my mind too.

I have an 2017 RTL and some money to spend and have been getting more and more hooked on the idea of getting a set of aftermarket shocks for the front, and later the rear. My RTL is still under warranty so I've got a little wait ahead of me, but am doing some homework
    Last edited by askitee; 06-30-2019 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Added missing reference
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I installed the M2 shocks on mine and have been very pleased with them.

1. My ride height on the front end is actually about an inch lower than stock. Because of the adjustment on these shocks you can change your ride height by adjusting the collar the spring sits on.

2. I am also running a M2 on the rear without issue. I have my air bag set at the lowest setting and allow the shock to do all the work. The rear shock has the same adjustment as the front so you could dial in a little softer ride if needed.

3. Does not apply. I have front and rear.

4. I purchased the M2 shocks to firm up my ride. My stock shocks felt like they didn't offer much stability. I have not noticed any additional vibration and no additional stress to any of the tupperware.

5. Have not changed oil weights.

6. Setting changes on the shocks are as easy as turning the adjustment knob a couple of clicks in either direction. Very easy to adjust. Spring preload is fairly easy to adjust as well.

7. I bought my sway bar before the shocks to add some stability, and while the sway bar did help my handling it just wasn't enough. With that being said, I can't say for sure if just the shock replacement still would have had my RT handling the way it does now.

8. Not sure of the suspension changes made between my RT and the newest model but I would sure try to swap them over.

2013 RTS
    BajaRon Swaybar, BRP passenger armrests, JT's GoPro dash mount, Lidlox helmet locks, M2 Shocks, foam grips, Ultimate Seat, Magic Mirrors

Spyder Garage

If you don't like the rock and roll from the factory sway bar the Baja Ron sway bar is much better. That was the biggest improvement on my RT for handling. I then added Elka shocks to the front and that improved it a bit more.

JT

Spyder Garage

I installed the Can Am accessory Fox front shocks. Yes the ride height increased but this was discussed in the installation instructions. They explain how to correctly adjust the shocks for proper height.

Yes the ride is firmer, however, not objectionable for us.

No need to alter oil viscosity, Fox did a very good job of getting these valved correctly out of the box.

The Fox units have no external damping clickers. They do have preload collars that can be adjusted. If expecting to change this, consider loosening the adjusters prior to installing the shocks. You will need two hook spanners for this.

Rear ride settings were a non issue, Vibration a non issue.

I had installed a Baja Ron bar prior to the shocks. I believe the shocks alone are superior to the bar swap alone. With both, the front is very stabile.

You made no mention if your wife rides solo or you ride two up. Being light, she may do better with just a sway bar if she rides alone.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CJ.RamMan View Post
    I installed the M2 shocks on mine and have been very pleased with them.

1. My ride height on the front end is actually about an inch lower than stock. Because of the adjustment on these shocks you can change your ride height by adjusting the collar the spring sits on.

2. I am....
    Thanks CJ.RamMan, and thanks for in depth detail.
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I installed the Can Am accessory Fox front shocks. Yes the ride height increased but this was discussed in the installation instructions. They explain how to correctly adjust the shocks for proper height.

Yes the ride is firme...... You made no mention if your wife rides solo or you ride two up. Being light, she may do better with just a sway bar if she rides alone.
    Hi PMK,

Thanks for pointing out my omission, should have stated chief cook runs pillion only, I wish she'd get her license so that i can rest on long journeys. More importantly thanks for the details on the Fox shocks. Do they differ much from the BRP OEM's
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    If you don't like the rock and roll from the factory sway bar the Baja Ron sway bar is much better. That was the biggest improvement on my RT for handling. I then added Elka shocks to the front and that improved it a bit more.

JT
    Thanks JT, yes I don't know anyone except those that designed the factory sway bar that like it Would love to hear more about your Elka's.
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    Hi PMK,

Thanks for pointing out my omission, should have stated chief cook runs pillion only, I wish she'd get her license so that i can rest on long journeys. More importantly thanks for the details on the Fox shocks. Do they differ much from the BRP OEM's
    Yes. The differ a lot in my opinion. Enough difference that had we been able to purchase the Fox units prior to the sway bar, I may never have gotten a sway bar.

Want to add, if we were a very light set of riders, I could probably swap the oem springs onto the Fox shocks. Fox supplies the dampers, BRP still supplied the springs on the Fox shocks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would not worry about the arm to break but cannot say it will never break either

Shocks I use M2 now.
    Rides like on rails much more responsive in the steering and feel less fatigued than with the stock shock.
    They can be adjusted up or down for height but would keep at least stock height.
    They can be adjusted at anytime up down,firmer or softer ride.
    I had the sway bar before the M2 shocks
    I use Amsoil metric
    Cant say if the M2 can be moved from a older to newer model?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    Thanks JT, yes I don't know anyone except those that designed the factory sway bar that like it Would love to hear more about your Elka's.
    Well they raised the front some so I don't need a bump skid and firmed up the handling. They have been on there so long I've forgotten what the OEM shocks felt like.

JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For future readers and FYI

I had a read of the M2 website where it refers to their product lowering the RTL. Normally this would be a good thing to lower the centre of gravity and help the RTL handle better. In Australia some of our roads are so well surfaced you almost need a motox bike to negotiate the "small inconsistencies" in the road surface (guess that's why Adventure bikes have become so popular - you can traverse the entire spectrum of Super smooth Highways, Dirt roads, fire trails and tarred "Supercross tracks" signposted as country roads).

I think the M2's would probably better for some that limit where they take their RTL. For me I travel all over the place except dirt roads and would prefer to avoid lowering the RTL by any amount. Perhaps M2 may offer some updated advice on this.

I would still like to hear more RT riders experience with either aftermarket shocks.
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Elka stage 2's on the front of my RT. No change in ride height at all.

Personally, I wouldn't want to lower a Spyder at all for the stated reasons. They're already are too low IMO. Another 1" of ground clearance would be helpful in a lot of situations.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some more information.
    - Elka's
    - Wilbers

I was looking at the remote preload adjuster option for the rear shock shown here https://us.elkasuspension.com/wp-con...tage2_3-th.jpg
    Quote from an Elka reseller
    "the Stage 2 rear, unfortunately they don't have the hydraulic preload adjuster available for the RT Stage 2 Rear"

"Wilbers shocks for the RT for those who want a hydraulic preload adjuster on the rear shock. We developed a mount location for the spring handle under the seat, the Wilbers 640 rear shock has rebound and hydraulic spring adjuster, the Wilbers are also custom built to your weight, German made and 5 year warranty. There are front Wilbers 630 twin shocks available also for the front or you can still get the Elka stage 2 for the front"

Are there any Spyder riders with Wibers Shocks who may have a comment.
    https://www.wilbersusa.com/
    https://www.wilbers-shop.de/index.ph...0&lang=1&cur=1
    Last edited by askitee; 07-04-2019 at 07:03 PM. Reason: add URL
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For those who contributed and may be interested. I went with the Wilber Shocks. The ability to easily adjust preload on the rear shock, the 5 yr warranty swayed me and the fact a number of other Aussie Spyder riders find them pretty darn good swayed me.

They arrive in 4 weeks, getting myself all psyched up to do the task when they arrive. Fingers + toes + eyes crossed all goes well. Will provide a "review" when I've got some miles on them.
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Wilburs are great stuff. I'm sure you'll be happy. I just wish they had better representation in the US.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6