Thread: Bad stator ????

Spyder Garage

Default Bad stator ????

Hi, everyone

I wrongly, install battery from ATV 18 AMP for 2 weeks, and bike die, the voltmeter just keep going down and not charging on my sypder RT 2010 who need 21AMP...

Do you think that the weaker battery kill the stator ? There's no continuity on the ground,,, the OHM are in the spec less then 1 OHM.

But the insulation are damage, there are a crack all around, thinking the stator was in a oil bath to cool it....maybe the short could may relate with the oil, and making. ground...does make any sense...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The battery would not effect the stator. the stator will put out the same voltage all the time and your regulator rectifier will change the voltage to what it (bike) needs to be so it can charge the battery and run the bike. Cracks you see I don't think are an issue some don't even have the coating on them. I don't know why you took that apart unless you checked the other items first. the issue is more then likely the regulator that would be effected by having a smaller battery.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 06-28-2019 at 07:31 PM.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Hi,

Maybe the rectifier overheat, with low amp battery,,,

i hear a crackling sound, and voltage start going down, i was due for oil change and need new HCM gasket, and new HCM o-ring piston, i have part but was too lazy to change it. Now i have no choice. A friend is taking electric car lesson, and be able to put on bench test at school...so will wait...what come out....

Yeah, i was to hurry, to finish the work , yes, can't perform R/R test...

Spyder Garage

A smaller capacity battery will have no effect on the stator, rectifier or voltage regulator. If the stator has gone bad at the same time as an undersized battery was installed. That is just a coincidence. There is a charging system fuse that protects it from over current.

If there is no continuity in the stator. It is bad and you need a new one. Sorry to say not an uncommon thing.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Good info to know about smaller battery, i use manual shop, to test it with multimeter, all 3 wire does not ground to the hub. And checking for OHM was in spec,. Dealer said it could ground when hot, that what i miss to check.

My photo are not very clear to see, where wire go inside, have some insulation melt but ok with multimeter.

I compare with this used one find on internet. stator3.jpg and it's look better.

Mine part number fit RT,ST 420685500, and GS,RS 420685502....but they look the same,,, i don't see any difference is the same motor

Spyder Garage

Sorry but I did not pick up on this in my earlier post. It tests OK. Not grounded. That's good. Less than 1 ohm resistance. That's good. So the stator is good. It's not the problem.

The stators are not the same. GS/RS 2008 to 2012 are not the same 998 cc engine as in a RT. One of the differences is RT has a higher output magneto. So of course the part numbers will be different.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Hi, thanks for you info,

One last thing i have 72 000km or 44738 miles on the bike, same stator...let you know what come out from my friend tomorrow.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mickay View Post
    Do you think that the weaker battery kill the stator ?
    NO. Absolutely not.
    The charging system quit working, which caused your first battery to appear bad........and now it let the second one go flat too.

It is not unusual to have a slight discoloration on the stator windings. When one actually shorts out, some of the windings can be almost black.