The wife was complaining this season about some of the new bumps and potholes hurting more than last year. I tried to miss the bad ones and slow down a little. Also made sure the air bag switch was at maximum setting.

A week ago she complained again and I hit the switch and the MANUAL error code showed up. Checked the air bag after the ride and it said zero psi. The rear Kenda was done, so I decided it was the right time to order a Kumho and troubleshoot the ACS while the wheel was off.

Crawled underneath to remove the lower rear shock bolt and found it wet.

Finished pulling the wheel and dropped it off to get the tire installed. Ordered a new rear shock. Lots of up and down to put together the right combination of tools to remove the upper bolt.

Finally had the shock in my hand. Tire looks great, but the new shock hadn't arrived yet.

Got the shock last night and could not get the spring compressed to swap it over. I tried to fit my automotive compressor and couldn't get it on, tried ratchet straps and it wasn't budging, checked the auto parts tool rentals and none would fit. Gave up and brought it in to my favorite shop: Dave's West Fargo. Owner is a rider - not Spyder, but two wheels. He was surprised by how hard his press worked to compress the spring, but then he realized it was holding a lot more weight alone then some bikes do with two.

Disconnected ACS dump valve and will manually inflate air bag through the riding season. I will be tearing into it for plugs, wires, brakes, and other things this winter, so I will look at the ACS then and make a decision.

Did lots of research here and found that the upper bolt can be accessed by removing the rear bags. Removed all of the side panels and can get at the nut on the left side without removing the bags. The compressor is in the way on the right side, but a 3/8" long-handled breaker bar with socket will hold the bolt from underneath with the tire removed. So decided to leave the bags on and so it that way. I can still torque the nut without any trouble.

Two lessons:
1. It probably doesn't hurt to occasionally verify that the air bag has air in it even if you have ACS. My blown shock could be due to excessive travel caused by riding with an empty air bag.
2. That spring is no joke, anyone facing a rear shock replacement might want to line someone up in advance to swap the spring over to the new shock. Unfortunately, my local dealer doesn't have the special Can Am tool.

My Friday night will be spent installing the shock and new tire, but the test ride will be worth it.