Spyder Garage

Default RTS Rear Shock Replacement

The wife was complaining this season about some of the new bumps and potholes hurting more than last year. I tried to miss the bad ones and slow down a little. Also made sure the air bag switch was at maximum setting.

A week ago she complained again and I hit the switch and the MANUAL error code showed up. Checked the air bag after the ride and it said zero psi. The rear Kenda was done, so I decided it was the right time to order a Kumho and troubleshoot the ACS while the wheel was off.

Crawled underneath to remove the lower rear shock bolt and found it wet.

Finished pulling the wheel and dropped it off to get the tire installed. Ordered a new rear shock. Lots of up and down to put together the right combination of tools to remove the upper bolt.

Finally had the shock in my hand. Tire looks great, but the new shock hadn't arrived yet.

Got the shock last night and could not get the spring compressed to swap it over. I tried to fit my automotive compressor and couldn't get it on, tried ratchet straps and it wasn't budging, checked the auto parts tool rentals and none would fit. Gave up and brought it in to my favorite shop: Dave's West Fargo. Owner is a rider - not Spyder, but two wheels. He was surprised by how hard his press worked to compress the spring, but then he realized it was holding a lot more weight alone then some bikes do with two.

Disconnected ACS dump valve and will manually inflate air bag through the riding season. I will be tearing into it for plugs, wires, brakes, and other things this winter, so I will look at the ACS then and make a decision.

Did lots of research here and found that the upper bolt can be accessed by removing the rear bags. Removed all of the side panels and can get at the nut on the left side without removing the bags. The compressor is in the way on the right side, but a 3/8" long-handled breaker bar with socket will hold the bolt from underneath with the tire removed. So decided to leave the bags on and so it that way. I can still torque the nut without any trouble.

Two lessons:
    1. It probably doesn't hurt to occasionally verify that the air bag has air in it even if you have ACS. My blown shock could be due to excessive travel caused by riding with an empty air bag.
    2. That spring is no joke, anyone facing a rear shock replacement might want to line someone up in advance to swap the spring over to the new shock. Unfortunately, my local dealer doesn't have the special Can Am tool.

My Friday night will be spent installing the shock and new tire, but the test ride will be worth it.
    Tony

2012 RT-S SE5 - Viper Red
    Castle Atom SV Tarmac Modular Helmets
    Sena SMH5 Headsets
    Ultraguard Half Cover
    Hopnel Luggage: Frunk, Top Case, and Saddlebags
    Big Bike Parts Short Spiral Antenna
    Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15 Rear Tire - Got almost 18,000 miles before replacement with Riken Raptor
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 165/65R-14 Front Tires
    BajaRon Spark Plugs and Wires
    EBC Rear Pads and Rotor from BajaRon
    Riken Raptor HR 215/60-15 Rear Tire

Future Plans:
    2013 Cooling Kit
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    High-Mount Brake Light
    2012 RT-S , Viper Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TRBorslien View Post
    The wife was complaining this season about some of the new bumps and potholes hurting more than last year. I tried to miss the bad ones and slow down a little. Also made sure the air bag switch was at maximum setting.

A week ago she complained again and I hit the switch and the MANUAL error code showed up. Checked the air bag after the ride and it said zero psi. The rear Kenda was done, so I decided it was the right time to order a Kumho and troubleshoot the ACS while the wheel was off.

Crawled underneath to remove the lower rear shock bolt and found it wet.

Finished pulling the wheel and dropped it off to get the tire installed. Ordered a new rear shock. Lots of up and down to put together the right combination of tools to remove the upper bolt.

Finally had the shock in my hand. Tire looks great, but the new shock hadn't arrived yet.

Got the shock last night and could not get the spring compressed to swap it over. I tried to fit my automotive compressor and couldn't get it on, tried ratchet straps and it wasn't budging, checked the auto parts tool rentals and none would fit. Gave up and brought it in to my favorite shop: Dave's West Fargo. Owner is a rider - not Spyder, but two wheels. He was surprised by how hard his press worked to compress the spring, but then he realized it was holding a lot more weight alone then some bikes do with two.

Disconnected ACS dump valve and will manually inflate air bag through the riding season. I will be tearing into it for plugs, wires, brakes, and other things this winter, so I will look at the ACS then and make a decision.

Did lots of research here and found that the upper bolt can be accessed by removing the rear bags. Removed all of the side panels and can get at the nut on the left side without removing the bags. The compressor is in the way on the right side, but a 3/8" long-handled breaker bar with socket will hold the bolt from underneath with the tire removed. So decided to leave the bags on and so it that way. I can still torque the nut without any trouble.

Two lessons:
    1. It probably doesn't hurt to occasionally verify that the air bag has air in it even if you have ACS. My blown shock could be due to excessive travel caused by riding with an empty air bag.
    2. That spring is no joke, anyone facing a rear shock replacement might want to line someone up in advance to swap the spring over to the new shock. Unfortunately, my local dealer doesn't have the special Can Am tool.

My Friday night will be spent installing the shock and new tire, but the test ride will be worth it.
    Howdy, Mr. T!

Thankee fer this post. Good advice. One more special tool to bug me dealer aboot, lol!

Hope everything goes back together fer ye.

Cheers!
    E

Spyder Garage

Can I ask what you got for a new shock i understand you can buy a shock spring compo that increases your payload from 550 to 700 lbs.

Spyder Garage

Hi Steviep,

I just replaced it with the OEM shock. By the way, the part number has changed to 706001262. I am guessing that BRP came up with an improved? shock in 2013 or 2014 and made the new part number retroactive to 2012. I didn't dig any deeper into that, I just wanted to replace the shock.

Sorry for the late reply, the wife and I just got back from a 1300 mile trip on the new shock and new rear tire. Felt like a new bike!
    Tony

Sena SMH5 Headsets
    Ultraguard Half Cover
    Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50R15 Rear Tire - Got almost 18,000 miles before replacement with Riken Raptor

Future Plans:
    2013 Cooling Kit
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    High-Mount Brake Light
    2012 RT-S , Viper Red

Spyder Garage

Tony, How many miles did you have on the Spyder before the air bag and or Shock failed.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Hi Dave,

I had 27,250 miles when the rear shock failed. It should have lasted longer based on what I've read here on the forum. That is why I suspect all that two-up riding this year with nothing in the air bag might have accelerated the shock failure. I know OEM shocks are designed to bottom out, but not frequently. I briefly considered a better shock, but I just wanted to get the bike back on the road. I have read some stories about people replacing the shock and air bag with one assembly. I might consider that as a winter project.

I am not the original owner, but I am sure the Kenda rear was not the original. The PO had all the tires overfilled so the rear was bald in the center with some tread left on the outsides. The front Kendas are getting close, so I will have to replace them sometime this summer too.

We are getting a very nice ride with 15 or 16 psi in the front Kendas, 20 psi in the rear Kumho, the front shocks at highest setting, and the air bag around 80 psi.
    Tony

Sena SMH5 Headsets
    Ultraguard Half Cover

Future Plans:
    2013 Cooling Kit
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    High-Mount Brake Light
    2012 RT-S , Viper Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just replaced my rear shock with a M2 on a 2014 RT and used a offset wrench and a 15MM socket with a log extension. No need to remove the luggage bags.

Then used a jack lifted the bike a bit and removed the lower shock bolt.

First removed the swing arm switch first.