Thread: Oetiker Clamps

Spyder Garage

Default Oetiker Clamps

Has anyone done a replacement project on all the Oetiker clamps holding the cooling system together? There seem to be 3 different part numbers, with a total of 16 clamps. I'm wondering what size worm gear clamp is needed for each part number, might look to do this when I clean the radiators.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

I never thought about making it a project. I just keep a bunch of gear clamps in the shop and grab them when I need them.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

I'm taking it to the dealer Tuesday to remedy a coolant leak and failing parking brake motor. When I get it back, I'm thinking of pulling the frunk to clean the radiators for the KOTT grill install, it would be a very good time to get rid of all those squeeze type clamps. Just trying to get a handle on the parts, I only keep a few around.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

Take them all off and throw them away.....they leak like crazy and I have already replaced most of them with regular screw-type clamps.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..

The worm gear clamps cover a range of sizes. You should be able to do it with less sizes. I replace them when ever I cut one off and prefer the adjustable clampsas you can reuse them...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Our RTS is due for a flush and fill of the cooling system. I made notes a while back of the sizes needed, just not sure where that not is at the moment.

I will be replacing all the clamps very soon. I may also add in a drain setup to make it easier next time, and less messy vs pulling a hose off.

Spyder Garage

Howdy;

For soft hoses, the shielded clamp varieties are all I'd use. Standard exposed gear clamps can damage the material.

Example:
    https://www.globalindustrial.ca/g/pl...trackType=null

BTW - my OEM clamps ain't leaked yet - and it's been almost a couple hundy kms, lol.

Cheers
    E

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    Howdy;

For soft hoses, the shielded clamp varieties are all I'd use. Standard exposed gear clamps can damage the material.

Example:
    https://www.globalindustrial.ca/g/pl...trackType=null

BTW - my OEM clamps ain't leaked yet - and it's been almost a couple hundy kms, lol.

Cheers
    E
    Those are good, as are the type for European cars with no slots in the band.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Our RTS is due for a flush and fill of the cooling system. I made notes a while back of the sizes needed, just not sure where that not is at the moment.

I will be replacing all the clamps very soon. I may also add in a drain setup to make it easier next time, and less messy vs pulling a hose off.
    Mr. PMK,

If you come up with the sizes, please post them for me and future reference. I think there are 3 different part numbers for the Oetiker clamps on the 1330 ACE, I'm not concerned with the other clamps as they are of a proven design (spring and worm gear).
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

Oetiker clamps work. In 250,000 miles, SpyderAnn has had 1 leak a tiny bit. Worm clamps can work loose.
    Last edited by cptjam; 06-29-2019 at 11:13 AM.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Oetiker clamps work. In 250,000 miles, SpyderAnn has had 1 leak a tiny bit. Worm clamps can work loose.
    welllllllllllllllllll that may be true …… but it's also true The Oetiker tool isn't in the tool kit.... which means you have to buy one ….. every other clamp I've seen operates with common tools ….. jmho …. Mike

Spyder Garage

After developing my current coolant leak, I did a specific search for two connected words "coolant + leak". This search shows that the Spyder has been leaking coolant since the beginning. I looked all the way back in the parts diagrams, and the Oetiker clamps was the common denominator. I have also driven innumerable miles on many different categories of vehicles, bikes, buggies, and industrial conveyances, and flown some too, and every worm gear clamp I have ever used didn't leak or come loose. I use the KISS principle, revert to the simplest thing known to actually work. Empirical data! Just trying to eliminate one of the several problems BRP sold to us along with the bike. Almost there, just a few more to go. If it's the coolant tank or water pump, and I unnecessarily replace the clamps, I feel it will still improve reliability due to all the stories of these clamps leaking.
    h0gr1der

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    After developing my current coolant leak, I did a specific search for two connected words "coolant + leak". This search shows that the Spyder has been leaking coolant since the beginning. I looked all the way back in the parts diagrams, and the Oetiker clamps was the common denominator. I have also driven innumerable miles on many different categories of vehicles, bikes, buggies, and industrial conveyances, and flown some too, and every worm gear clamp I have ever used didn't leak or come loose. I use the KISS principle, revert to the simplest thing known to actually work. Empirical data! Just trying to eliminate one of the several problems BRP sold to us along with the bike. Almost there, just a few more to go. If it's the coolant tank or water pump, and I unnecessarily replace the clamps, I feel it will still improve reliability due to all the stories of these clamps leaking.
    IMHO ….BRP uses Oetiker clamps solely to make it difficult for the DIY'er - period.....If you have the TOOL they may be easier to apply , however I've never used one …… good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO ….BRP uses Oetiker clamps solely to make it difficult for the DIY'er - period.....If you have the TOOL they may be easier to apply , however I've never used one …… good luck …. Mike
    Nah. They use them because (1) they're CHEAP and (2) because there's no guesswork in the factory. Band on hose, crimp, move on.....

If I were replacing the clamps, I would look for one that does not have the screw contacting the hose. The good hose clamps have a tongue or shield that goes around the hose under the screw so the hose doesn't get cut by the screw. They do cost more than the standard plumber's hose clamp.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You should NEVER use worm gear hose clamps on plastic radiators or other connections...And if you do use worm gear hose clamps on plastic connections you SHOULD use silicone hose clamps that have the liners...larryd

Spyder Garage

Oetiker clamps are used not only by BRP on Spyders, ATVs and Skidoos, but also my other automotive, industrial and household equipment manufacturers. The Swiss company has been in business since 1942. If you look in detail at an Oetiker clamp of any size or configuration one of the common things you see is that no part of the clamp can dig into the material it is clamping, a point made by posters above. Yes, you do have to have a special tool to PROPERLY install the clamps but the tools are designed, IF PROPERLY USED, to apply the requisite pressure to the PROPERLY SIZED CLAMP. Yes, sometimes Oetiker clamps are not properly tightened and leaks occur. Harley Davidson had a recall on one of their machines a year or two ago because an Oetiker clamp was not properly tightened on the oil cooler, bad ju ju on a two wheeler's rear wheel. Don't blame the clamp; blame the human who did not properly apply it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Oetiker clamps are used not only by BRP on Spyders, ATVs and Skidoos, but also my other automotive, industrial and household equipment manufacturers. The Swiss company has been in business since 1942. If you look in detail at an Oetiker clamp of any size or configuration one of the common things you see is that no part of the clamp can dig into the material it is clamping, a point made by posters above. Yes, you do have to have a special tool to PROPERLY install the clamps but the tools are designed, IF PROPERLY USED, to apply the requisite pressure to the PROPERLY SIZED CLAMP. Yes, sometimes Oetiker clamps are not properly tightened and leaks occur. Harley Davidson had a recall on one of their machines a year or two ago because an Oetiker clamp was not properly tightened on the oil cooler, bad ju ju on a two wheeler's rear wheel. Don't blame the clamp; blame the human who did not properly apply it.
    I concur wholeheartedly. I also understand the crushing effect of a worm gear clamp, and the precautions you must take when using them on plastic, or for that matter some of the thin aluminum radiators in use now. First time you crush an inlet or outlet nozzle beyond repair usually corrects that error in judgement.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

I am thinking we need to have a hose clamp debate like tires and oil...

Oem clamps vs worm screw hose clamps without liner bands, worm screw hose clamps with liner bands, worm screw hose clamps with no perforations in the band, old school spring steel wire clamps, or even screw and nut fuel injection hose clamps.

So many choices, like tires or oil, very difficult decision...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I am thinking we need to have a hose clamp debate like tires and oil...

Oem clamps vs worm screw hose clamps without liner bands, worm screw hose clamps with liner bands, worm screw hose clamps with no perforations in the band, old school spring steel wire clamps, or even screw and nut fuel injection hose clamps.

So many choices, like tires or oil, very difficult decision...
    And all I asked was if anyone had the sizes! Funny how these things blossom....
    h0gr1der

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Oetiker clamp size for the 1330 lower radiator hose at the radiator end is; number on Oetiker clamp is 36.1...ID measures about 1.456 or 36.98 mm X .290/7.38 mm wide...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    The Oetiker clamp size for the 1330 lower radiator hose at the radiator end is; number on Oetiker clamp is 36.1...ID measures about 1.456 or 36.98 mm X .290/7.38 mm wide...
    Mr. larryd,

A scholar and gentleman. Thank you. I really appreciate the hands on answer you provided, only took 20 times to get it. A lot of trolling going on here!

That one appears to be the predominant one, uses at 10 places. Of course BRP uses different numbers on the illustrations to identify the same part numbered pieces, make the job so much easier!
    h0gr1der

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Also, an easy tool for closing and cutting open Oetiker clamps are the type of dykes the have the cutting jaw on the end of the pliers instead of on the side...Some call the tack pulling pliers...I'm not sure of the actual name of those type of dykes...But I do own several pairs along with two of actual Ortiker tools the have both the side and end cutters and crimpers...larryd

Spyder Garage

Found my missing notes. Double checked my info. Ordered clamps today. If I can get them installed this week I will PM the part numbers to you.