Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    Took the Spyder out yesterday to see how the 20 psi in the fronts. GREAT. Maybe it's the way my machine is set up, maybe I have a very sensitive butt, but, going to the lower pressures that many have advised just doesn't feel comfortable. 20 in the front Federal Formoza's, 30 in the rear Arachnid.
    Fronts, same tires as you, 20 psi. Our rear tire is a Yokohama s.Drive, 20 in that also.

Previously, with Kenda fronts, I had to run 22 to 24 in the same rear tire. Currently very happy with the tires and pressures.

Spyder Garage

You've gotta remember that the Arachnid tires are basically just Kenda clones, so they really NEED the higher pressures (28-32psi or there-abouts) in them to carry the load of your Spyder, even tho it's faily small!! So yeah, 24 psi in an Arachnid (or a Kenda) on the rear is probably too low for the loads most of us impose!

The lightweight 2 ply construction of the Kendas & Arachnid tires rely on those higher OE specified pressures to keep all the metal bits safely off the ground & still meet the traction, ride, & handling needs of a Spyder; it's really only when you swap over to running 'normal' passenger car tires with their heavier construction and their design ability (expectation?) to carry significantly heavier loads at those 28-32 psi pressures that you'll need to lower their pressures somewhat to suit the significantly lighter loads of a Spyder & ryders, loads etc impose vs a car...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    You've gotta remember that the Arachnid tires are basically just Kenda clones, so they really NEED the higher pressures (28-32psi or there-abouts) in them to carry the load of your Spyder, even tho it's faily small!! So yeah, 24 psi in an Arachnid (or a Kenda) on the rear is probably too low for the loads most of us impose!

The lightweight 2 ply construction of the Kendas & Arachnid tires rely on those higher OE specified pressures to keep all the metal bits safely off the ground & still meet the traction, ride, & handling needs of a Spyder; it's really only when you swap over to running 'normal' passenger car tires with their heavier construction and their design ability (expectation?) to carry significantly heavier loads at those 28-32 psi pressures that you'll need to lower their pressures somewhat to suit the significantly lighter loads of a Spyder & ryders, loads etc impose vs a car...
    My experience with Arachnids on the rear, is that they wear on the outside no matter what pressure you run. I ran a few of them that they gave me to test and I’ve also see quite a few when we are doing alignments.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

...The lightweight 2 ply construction of the Kendas & Arachnid....
    I agree with your comments generally but, for clarification, a standard car tyre is 2ply rated but the majority of them have just one wall ply. The exception to this is where the tyre is rated for extra load - and some of the sizes posted on this forum as alternatives only come in extra load format since they're specifically designed for a particular type of car fitment (4x4 or people carrier etc.) These tyres are frequently 4ply rated but 2ply construction. - so care should be taken to note the load rating as well as the size and speed rating when selecting an alternative tyre. Tyre construction is normally printed on the tyre wall.

Spyder Garage

Cool

The specs that I've seen are that the Arachnids on my Spyder are 4 ply on the tread, and 1 ply on the sidewall. Either way, when they wear out, I am going to a car tire.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    Spyder felt kind of squirlly so took it in to have the wheels laser aligned. They checked things out and said nothing needed.
    Same thing just occurred with me. Front end feeling twitchy and front tires starting to wear in the inside edges, but alignment and toe-in were on the money. I have about 20k miles on my Kumho Solus tires and have been religious about keeping the pressure at 18 psi. Dealer and I both scratching our heads. Dealer suggested reducing the pressure even more.

Spyder Garage

I measured the tread depth on my Continental Conticontact Pro today. 9/32 nds I think 6/32 nds is new tire time. I have 32K plus on the tires. I've driven on them over three years and I'm about to take a trip to Fargo and Billings. Hope they last. Laser alignment. Pretty much all straight interstate or otherwise interstate like highways ryding. No mountain roads here in the swamps. Sometimes a 100 foot rise but...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    Same thing just occurred with me. Front end feeling twitchy and front tires starting to wear in the inside edges, but alignment and toe-in were on the money. I have about 20k miles on my Kumho Solus tires and have been religious about keeping the pressure at 18 psi. Dealer and I both scratching our heads. Dealer suggested reducing the pressure even more.
    Did they check the alignment with you/your normal ryding load on the Spyder??! If not, adding that weight might change things enough to cause your concern....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!