Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Laser wheel alignment

Spyder felt kind of squirlly so took it in to have the wheels laser aligned. They checked things out and said nothing needed. Reset the computer, and didn't charge me a dime. Now, I'm thinking to change out the front tires from the Kenda's (yuk) to General AltiMax RT43's, or Federal Formoza or SS657 in the 185/60R14 size. Any comments yea or nay?

Spyder Garage

I bought the Federal Formosa AZ01 (stock size) from WalMart on line ($58.00 ea.). Had to wait a few days for them to be shipped to my local store. Then took them to my favorite tire dealership to have them mounted and spin balanced. They stick to the twisties like they're glued. I love them, especially compared to the Krap-da.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    I bought the Federal Formosa AZ01 (stock size) from WalMart on line ($58.00 ea.). Had to wait a few days for them to be shipped to my local store. Then took them to my favorite tire dealership to have them mounted and spin balanced. They stick to the twisties like they're glued. I love them, especially compared to the Krap-da.
    How are they in the rain (it sometimes rains here in Florida)?

Spyder Garage

Having the alignment within BRP specs is not the same and usually not as good as a laser alignment. Getting rid of the Kendas is one of the very best things I did to improve my ride. I went with Federal Formoza AZ01 175/55R15s. Excellent handling tire. As far as rain, well, I live in Arizona so can't help you there. I believe SpyderAnn has the same tires and reports good things about it's handling the rain. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Having the alignment within BRP specs is not the same and usually not as good as a laser alignment. Getting rid of the Kendas is one of the very best things I did to improve my ride. I went with Federal Fermoza AZ01 175/55R15s. Excellent handling tire. As far as rain, well, I live in Arizona so can't help you there. I believe SpyderAnn has the same tires and reports good things about it's handling the rain. Good luck..... Jim
    You show 15" wheels. My fronts are 14".

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Your bio says you have a 2015 RT Ltd. Unless you’re asking about a different machine, your fronts are supposed to be 15”.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Your bio says you have a 2015 RT Ltd. Unless you’re asking about a different machine, your fronts are supposed to be 15”.
    You are absolutely right. That's what is on my Spyder. See what happens when you are 78 and don't have your reading glasses on. But, what's 1" among friends.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, now that you’re looking for 15” tires, it changes the landscape quite a bit. More choices.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    You are absolutely right. That's what is on my Spyder. See what happens when you are 78 and don't have your reading glasses on. But, what's 1" among friends.
    I just ordered the Federal Formoza AZ01's, in 175/55R15. Also just ordered a BajaRon sway bar. Hope to have everything put on next week. Should ride like it is on tracks. Will let everyone know how it feels (assuming anyone is interested).

Spyder Garage

I just ordered the Federal Formoza AZ01's, in 175/55R15. Also just ordered a BajaRon sway bar. Hope to have everything put on next week. Should ride like it is on tracks. Will let everyone know how it feels (assuming anyone is interested).
    When I changed my front tires I noticed the fender bolts protruded unnecessarily into the wheel area. I didn't think there would be a problem of rubbing the tires but just to be safe, I pulled each bolt out, one by one, and snipped about a 1/4 inch off each one with a bolt cutter. It was a quick and easy thing to do. Took maybe 10 minutes. If I remember right there are 3 bolts for each side. Once you remove your wheels you will be able to see what I am referring to. Necessary....? Probably not. But I just didn't like the looks of those bolt ends protruding towards my tires. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

How are they in the rain (it sometimes rains here in Florida)?
    The Formoza’s are awesome in the rain. I also run them in the stock size.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Make sure and lower the air pressure in the new tires to about 16-18 max psi for best results.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Make sure and lower the air pressure in the new tires to about 16-18 max psi for best results.
    A lot of people have said that. Will do.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The Formoza’s are awesome in the rain. I also run them in the stock size.

I just noticed that you hadn't ridden any of your Spyders to Hawaii. How come, too far to ride?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-01-2019 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Fixed that quote. ;-)

Spyder Garage

Reset the pressures to 18 front and 24 rear. The fronts were fine, but the rear (Arachnid) felt like it was trying to steer the machine instead of me. Going to put it back to 28 psi.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Reset the pressures to 18 front and 24 rear. The fronts were fine, but the rear (Arachnid) felt like it was trying to steer the machine instead of me. Going to put it back to 28 psi.

Instead of changing the pressure in the Arachnid I would put on a better tire.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Instead of changing the pressure in the Arachnid I would put on a better tire.
    Yeah, good idea. However, I've spent a good junk of $ already on things so, unless it really sucks and I can't make it better, will stay with the Arachnid for a while. Still a lot of tread on it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    Did you take the bike to your tire dealership or did you remove take just the wheels? thanks.
    2019 F3L , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Good idea. Running a tyre too soft is always a bad idea, more wall flexing, more tread squirming, less tread base control, more heat build up, more tread side wear, poorer aquaplaning resistance. To name just a few bad reasons... .

If putting it back to 28psi makes a marked difference, it might be worth trying 30 and 32. Perhaps the tyre is a bit too flexi.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderlass View Post
    Good idea. Running a tyre too soft is always a bad idea, more wall flexing, more tread squirming, less tread base control, more heat build up, more tread side wear, poorer aquaplaning resistance. To name just a few bad reasons... .

If putting it back to 28psi makes a marked difference, it might be worth trying 30 and 32. Perhaps the tyre is a bit too flexi.
    I think I will split the difference, and go to 30 to see how it feels. If it wears the tire out more quickly, that is a good thing. It will justify spending the $ to get a good tire on the rear.

Spyder Garage

Normally, a slightly high pressure will result in better mileage because, to some extent, it prevents the tread blocks squirming. The exception to this is where the wheel is a little narrow for the tyre width so the tyre tread becomes slightly too convex so wears the centre a little too much. And, IMHO, that is part of the issue with the Spyder rear tyre.

Spyder Garage

Just put 30 in the rear Arachnid. Feels really good now, and that is riding on, arguably, the worst major road in the county, if not the state. The only place there aren't potholes is where there are filled potholes. The front Federals are at 18. I am going to try 20. If no difference, back to 18.

Spyder Garage

When are we riding Baron? 32907 here.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Miesterbro View Post
    When are we riding Baron? 32907 here.
    I'm in 32909. Always young is in 32901. We should all try to get together to ride and tell war stories.

Spyder Garage

Just put 30 in the rear Arachnid. Feels really good now, and that is riding on, arguably, the worst major road in the county, if not the state. The only place there aren't potholes is where there are filled potholes. The front Federals are at 18. I am going to try 20. If no difference, back to 18.
    Took the Spyder out yesterday to see how the 20 psi in the fronts. GREAT. Maybe it's the way my machine is set up, maybe I have a very sensitive butt, but, going to the lower pressures that many have advised just doesn't feel comfortable. 20 in the front Federal Formoza's, 30 in the rear Arachnid.