Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RT seating position

Just got my Spyder in May so still new to the game, but I have noticed that my seating position seems too far forward. I put on a stock backrest and most of the time it seems like I have to lean back to even feel it. I am a big guy and over 6 feet so it's not like I am reaching to get to the handlebars. Just wondering if any other riders noticed the same thing, or is it just me??
    I appreciate any suggestions

Spyder Garage

Monpaul your not alone, try being 6.6 and taking a 4500k trip with a stock seat. the seating along with none adjustable bars is torture and that's putting it nicely .I am forced to buy a new seat and adjustable bars...I felt like I was sitting on my hands and when it was all over I wanted to sell the machine....

Spyder Garage

I had the opposite problem. The stock non-adjustable seat back seemed to push me forward. I, to, am big. I bought an adjustable seat back bracket that solved the problem for me. I think it was about 80 bucks. It can be adjusted both forward or backward so it may solve your problem. Just Google Can Am Adjustable Drivers Seat Back Bracket. Good luck..... Jim

After writing my reply, I had an additional thought. Tip you seat back forward to see if you might already have the adjustable bracket. If you do, it will have a hex bolt in the hinge area that is used for adjustment.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I had the opposite problem. The stock non-adjustable seat back seemed to push me forward. I, to, am big. I bought an adjustable seat back bracket that solved the problem for me. I think it was about 80 bucks. It can be adjusted both forward or backward so it may solve your problem. Just Google Can Am Adjustable Drivers Seat Back Bracket. Good luck..... Jim

After writing my reply, I had an additional thought. Tip you seat back forward to see if you might already have the adjustable bracket. If you do, it will have a hex bolt in the hinge area that is used for adjustment.
    That is the same problem I am having - I seem to be sitting too far forward. That's why I am wondering if it is the seat or me. And I have tried the adjustment, it just feels better sitting back more but for some reason its' not a natural position like it is on other bikes I have had.

Spyder Garage

Here's the info on the adjustable drivers backrest for the stock seat:
    https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/shop/...-upgrade.html#.

For tall drivers your options for getting comfortable seating MAY begin with considering a seat that moves you back a bit. Your options begin with the BRP Comfort Seat, for which you can get an adjustable backrest (it comes with a different mounting system than the stock backrest), or a third party seat from such vendors at Ultimate and Russell Day Long.

When you begin moving yourself rearward on a seat you may find the fit of the handlebars no longer to your liking. For that situation there are the Tri-Axis handlebars that are adjustable for reach and height and can be seen here:
    https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/shop/...rt-models.html.

Do be aware that adding different seats and bars can substantially lighten your wallet but, IMO as a guy with both a Comfort Seat with adjustable driver backrest and Tri-Axis bars, they were very worthwhile investments.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post

For tall drivers your options for getting comfortable seating MAY begin with considering a seat that moves you back a bit. Your options begin with the BRP Comfort Seat, for which you can get an adjustable backrest (it comes with a different mounting system than the stock backrest), or a third party seat from such vendors at Ultimate and Russell Day Long.

When you begin moving yourself rearward on a seat you may find the fit of the handlebars no longer to your liking. For that situation there are the Tri-Axis handlebars that are adjustable for reach and height and can be seen here:

Do be aware that adding different seats and bars can substantially lighten your wallet but, IMO as a guy with both a Comfort Seat with adjustable driver backrest and Tri-Axis bars, they were very worthwhile investments.
    Thank you, great advice! I should have made sure the original seat was to my liking before investing in the backrest.

Spyder Garage

I had a Russell on my BMW M/C and I loved it. I have planned for this winter getting a Russell. I will probably end up with the Tri-axial also. Most likely do the Russell first and then the handle bars.
    Need to do more traveling
    2018 Limited , Grey (Looks green to me but title says grey)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

brp comfort seat and triaxis bars
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I'm short and round, yet I get the same measure of improvement from the Tri-Axis and adjustable backrest. Had them installed before I took delivery. The adjustments make all the difference in the world, but as Mr. JayBros says, this can lead to the poorhouse! I have about $1300 in the pair, including installation. To me, worth every penny.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.