Thread: Oil usage.

Spyder Garage

Default Oil usage.

I am new to the Spyder. Just bought a 2018 F3T SE6 1330 about 2 months ago new from the dealer. I have been away from biking for 20+ years. Kids grown and out of the house time for me. My question for everyone or anyone is oil usage. I check my my oil on a regular bases. I have noticed that i have to 100 to 150 ml every couple of weeks. I have been keeping an eye out no leaks anywhere. Is this normal. I should mention this has turned into my primary mode of transportation. roughly 65 miles a day. Just a curiosity question. I have actually found some great information on this site, so thank you all for your posting. Loving every minute of my new purchase.

Spyder Garage

Here's a video that shows/tells you how to check oil on a 1330 engine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnfQ1oA4LIk
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

To waste less time always check the level AFTER a little or long ride …… My 14 RT has never needed any extra oil between oil changes …. Mike

Spyder Garage

The 1330 ACE engine DOES NOT USE ANY OIL!!!!! If you have RTFM and follow the instructions on checking the oil and you are adding oil YOU ARE OVERFILLING IT.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Glad I RTFM

Spyder Garage

C'mon Jay (& Bear?), he's pretty new here, no need to jump down his neck about reading the manual! Have you even bothered to ASK if he's done that & if he's using the correct oil check procedure before giving him a hard time about it!?!

Let's try that last bit again!

Firstly, welcome to the wonderful world of Spyder Ryding, the Forum, & posting here, CoDe3.

We aren't all quite so abrupt as that ^^ and generally, like the replies started out, you'll find that most here are usually very helpful - it's just that some things crop up repeatedly & that makes some just a little tetchy about it every now & then!

So, how are you checking your oil? Using the correct method as per the manual & only checking when it's fully up to temp? Doing your oil checks after a 30 min or longer ryde is a good way of making sure that the oil's warm enough and that the dry sump system has pumped it into all the right places for checking. A quick idle in the driveway or even a 5 minute spin around the block is often not long enough to do all that, and can give you misleading results...... As has been mentioned earlier, it's pretty rare for the 1330 motors to need ANY oil between scheduled changes, so your usage is pretty much unprecedented!!

Maybe it's how you ryde that's different.... about those 65 miles you do daily, how do you usually ryde them, fairly gently (even if fast?) or is all your ryding at hot response pace?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-22-2019 at 02:26 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter. I pay know attention to individuals like that. I am sure it wasn't personal. In any case the answer is yes i have read the manual and did exactly the way they suggest on checking oil levels. I also on a regular bases check the oil when I fuel up. Which at time I know i am on a level surface and it is well warm enough after the 15 mile trip to the station. I am not balls to walls with my riding, just out to cruise.( Ride to work, who's in a hurry to get there) The has been checked through by the mechanic ( one of the few that are trust worthy and up front in my experiences). Every on the Bike is perfect. He suggested it may have been the brand/type of oil. I have since changed to his recommendation and have not seen a loss since. Good point on the riding style that did slip my mind a possible cause.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for telling us that you've got a resolution, that often ends up being missed - people tell us all about the problem & then when it's finally fixed they get so excited & busy with the ryding that we often hafta guess about the final outcome.

Can you tell us which oil it was that you used initially, & what oil did you change to? That 'some brands disappeared, others don't' thing is something that used to be fairly prevalent, but not so much recently.... not in the last few decades, anyway! The only real issue we've heard much about with the Spyders & oil has been when people have used oil that's not suitable for engines with wet clutches.... something that usually doesn't end well if it goes on for too long!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-22-2019 at 05:00 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

My apologies to any and all I offended with my post. I've never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I also have never been able to understand how one can lay out a whole bunch of hard earned dough for a sophisticated vehicle and not thoroughly read the included operator's guide, even when finances enable one to replace such machines merely on a whim without a second thought.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    My apologies to any and all I offended with my post. I've never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I also have never been able to understand how one can lay out a whole bunch of hard earned dough for a sophisticated vehicle and not thoroughly read the included operator's guide, even when finances enable one to replace such machines merely on a whim without a second thought.
    I'm the same way. Not only that but while waiting for the purchase to go through I joined and read through much of the forum especially the FAQs and New Spyder Owners which says something like read it 3 times. Motivating owners to read the manual instead of just doing the work for than is the difference between teaching/helping and enabling IMHO.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

Those snippish responses are kind of like hitting the send button on a reply all email when you're mad. It does nobody any good, and your stress level may very well be killing you. I know when I first got mine I had read so much info from so many places that I asked if there was a panel on the RTL that was removable without tools. I was totally fried on information and couldn't process more at the time. I've had some truly outstanding assistance from this forum, and feel like the members are very forgiving of my ignorance for the most part.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CoDe3 View Post
    Thanks Peter. I pay know attention to individuals like that. I am sure it wasn't personal. In any case the answer is yes i have read the manual and did exactly the way they suggest on checking oil levels. I also on a regular bases check the oil when I fuel up. Which at time I know i am on a level surface and it is well warm enough after the 15 mile trip to the station. I am not balls to walls with my riding, just out to cruise.( Ride to work, who's in a hurry to get there) The has been checked through by the mechanic ( one of the few that are trust worthy and up front in my experiences). Every on the Bike is perfect. He suggested it may have been the brand/type of oil. I have since changed to his recommendation and have not seen a loss since. Good point on the riding style that did slip my mind a possible cause.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CoDe3 View Post
    I am new to the Spyder. Just bought a 2018 F3T SE6 1330 about 2 months ago new from the dealer. I have been away from biking for 20+ years. Kids grown and out of the house time for me. My question for everyone or anyone is oil usage. I check my my oil on a regular bases. I have noticed that i have to 100 to 150 ml every couple of weeks. I have been keeping an eye out no leaks anywhere. Is this normal. I should mention this has turned into my primary mode of transportation. roughly 65 miles a day. Just a curiosity question. I have actually found some great information on this site, so thank you all for your posting. Loving every minute of my new purchase.
    Welcome to the Forum. Lot's of great information --some not so great---just like any forum. It's always good to have different points of view & after a while you'll become more fond of some than others--It's all cool. I beat my 2015 F3's fairly hard but most are short distance rides. Mine uses no oil. Just curiosity--what mfg oil & viscosity were you using that consumed oil??
    Good luck to you,
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    The 1330 ACE engine DOES NOT USE ANY OIL!!!!! If you have RTFM and follow the instructions on checking the oil and you are adding oil YOU ARE OVERFILLING IT.
    And the extra oil ends up in the airbox and injested by the motor, so when he checks the level again he thinks it used the oil! The F3 is tricky to check the oil level, proper procedure must be followed. Good thing they don't actually burn/use il.
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black