Spyder Garage

Default What's up with these 2018 RTL's

So I don't want to whine too loudly about this, but there seems to be some problems with the 2018 run of RTL's. I just about have mine whipped into submission for the long haul, just lacking the sway bar, rear brake light addition, and laser alignment.

Now, the parking brakes have started failing to release more frequently, and the engine started pissing coolant.

The parking brake left behind code U0128 and corrects itself later. Haven't had to use my 12mm wrenches yet. I was going to wait until the 3000 mile service to correct this, but now have to move due to the next item.

The engine has also started leaking coolant. I thought it may be a bad radiator cap, so I put a water bottle on the end of the overflow pipe and collected nothing. Red coolant on the right side, front of engine and down in the belly pan. Still not sure if it's the cap, I cleaned up the coolant leakage and wrapped paper towels around the top of the tank, enclosing the radiator cap. Rode it hard in 95°F temperatures, nothing in the water bottle, nothing on the paper towels.

Bike is scheduled at the dealer on Tuesday when they open.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Default Leaking antifreeze

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    So I don't want to whine too loudly about this, but there seems to be some problems with the 2018 run of RTL's. I just about have mine whipped into submission for the long haul, just lacking the sway bar, rear brake light addition, and laser alignment.

Now, the parking brakes have started failing to release more frequently, and the engine started pissing coolant.

The parking brake left behind code U0128 and corrects itself later. Haven't had to use my 12mm wrenches yet. I was going to wait until the 3000 mile service to correct this, but now have to move due to the next item.

The engine has also started leaking coolant. I thought it may be a bad radiator cap, so I put a water bottle on the end of the overflow pipe and collected nothing. Red coolant on the right side, front of engine and down in the belly pan. Still not sure if it's the cap, I cleaned up the coolant leakage and wrapped paper towels around the top of the tank, enclosing the radiator cap. Rode it hard in 95°F temperatures, nothing in the water bottle, nothing on the paper towels.

Bike is scheduled at the dealer on Tuesday when they open.
    Check your antifreeze jug! On my 2016 RTL, the jug was not seal together in the middle of the jug by the manufacture! It would not leak until you rode it a while and the antifreeze built up to the half way mark! To keep from having to deal with BRP on the warranty, I just order a new jug and put it on! Problem solved!!!!

Spyder Garage

I hear ya hog! First the no downshifting n crap radio and now mine is doing the park brake fail also! Had to get the wrench out the other day. Not 4000mi yet! Hope it all gets settled cause it's still a hoot to ride and comfortable to boot!

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

There is definitely an issue with the parking brakes on 18 and 19.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check the radiator hose clamp for leak. I have to fix mine on my 2014 as it dribbles at times.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    Check your antifreeze jug! On my 2016 RTL, the jug was not seal together in the middle of the jug by the manufacture! It would not leak until you rode it a while and the antifreeze built up to the half way mark! To keep from having to deal with BRP on the warranty, I just order a new jug and put it on! Problem solved!!!!
    I gave them a pass on me replacing the tires, because they were only going to replace Chinese crap with more Chinese crap. But if everyone fails to make them fund the repairs that are caused by their poor quality control by doing the fixes themselves, do you suppose it will ever change? I'm going to make them pay for the fixes, which will also build a case in the overall record, which may prompt a change towards better reliability.

I'm fairly sure the brake motor is inadequate, because in my brake failure to release each time the bike recognized that the button had been pushed (good handlebar switch) and also that the brake didn't release (good brake position sensor) but the motor didn't have enough oomph to unlock the brake. Hopefully BRP will replace all 3 to make sure it's good.

I hate the squeeze crimp type hose clamps, that is a poor way to secure hoses. I suppose worm gear clamps are too expensive. So it's off to the races!
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

I had all that could possibly go wrong on my 2018 RTL( I hope). First, I had a coolant leak. I noticed dried spot on the lower right A-frame. Dealer found a faulty water pump. Replaced the pump. All good now. Next, parking brake would not release. Lucky, I was near my house. A friend brought some tools to disconnect the cable. Didn't have to. It released after more tries. Somehow it did that to me twice but release after a few tries. More on that one...Finally, the big one. No Reverse. What prompted me to believe it was a bad gear selector switch, is that it will not allow me to downshift manually. Back at the dealer. Installed a new left hand cluster.All is good now.
    Can anyone help me and let me know what should I expect next? This is sad......
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Spyder Garage

I just bought a 2018 Limited. First had an oil leak that took two weeks to get straightened out. The crush washer on the chain tensioner was not installed at the factory, and the parts listing had not been updated to reflect the new size. Next my control cluster went. No reverse or downshift. The tech told me he had already replaced a bunch of these. This stuff in no way reflects the dealer and they did the best they could to get me back on the road. Gotta park where reverse is not an issue until the new stuff comes in.

Spyder Garage

17’s must have the same problems. My park brake started acting up right after I got it. Then it stopped and worked fine for about a year, then wouldn’t release at all. Also had a little bit of a problem with reverse. Took it to shop, brake worked fine, computer wouldn’t work right.. they replaced left cluster because it wasn’t sending right info to computer. Replaced computer, said it was working fine, come and get it, 30 minutes later they called and said now park brake won’t release, ( which was the reason I took it there in first place). Had to replace motor for brake release. Alls good now, so far, I kinda cringe every time I hit the switch to release the brake though. They must of got ahold of a bunch of bad switches and motors for park brake, and bad left clusters.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marr View Post
    17’s must have the same problems. My park brake started acting up right after I got it. Then it stopped and worked fine for about a year, then wouldn’t release at all. Also had a little bit of a problem with reverse. Took it to shop, brake worked fine, computer wouldn’t work right.. they replaced left cluster because it wasn’t sending right info to computer. Replaced computer, said it was working fine, come and get it, 30 minutes later they called and said now park brake won’t release, ( which was the reason I took it there in first place). Had to replace motor for brake release. Alls good now, so far, I kinda cringe every time I hit the switch to release the brake though. They must of got ahold of a bunch of bad switches and motors for park brake, and bad left clusters.
    I honestly think in their quest for the biggest profit margin they've subbed out parts to vendors that are screwing the hell out of them. 3rd world junk made for pennies, with no quality control whatsoever. No impressive on a new machine that costs as much as a car.
    h0gr1der

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes hOgrider, you have more insight than most. When the Goldwing comes out as a reverse trike, our spyders won't be worth salvage prices.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Yes hOgrider, you have more insight than most. When the Goldwing comes out as a reverse trike, our spyders won't be worth salvage prices.
    There's 3 reasons I'm on A Spyder. The 2 wheels in front stability factor, the real gear for reverse, and I'm somewhat disabled. If Honda makes something to fit those factors, I'd have to look long and hard! I've never had this much blues out of any other brand than Harley.
    h0gr1der

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's 3 reasons I'm on A Spyder. The 2 wheels in front stability factor, the real gear for reverse, and I'm somewhat disabled. If Honda makes something to fit those factors, I'd have to look long and hard! I've never had this much blues out of any other brand than Harley.

I'm with you here on this one for all or most of the same reasons. However my last Harley was, or seemed, almost bullet proof. I had all the confidence in the world in that machine. It never missed a beat. I'd take it to the ends of the earth on any day. I liked it so much I almost triked it, and now sometimes I wished I had triked it.