Spyder Garage

Default Adding Cruise to 2019 F3 base model

Picking up a new F3 base model. I was told that cruise can be added by ordering the handlebar control for the F3S. Has anyone done this?

Spyder Garage

Yes. Did mine not long after I got it home. Have installed for a few customers as well.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Yes. Did mine not long after I got it home. Have installed for a few customers as well.
    Thanks for the reply. Would you have the part number for what I need to buy to do this? I would appreciate any info you can provide regarding the install. I've been wrenching on 2 wheelers since the late 60s, but this is a different beast. lol

Spyder Garage

710004583 Is the part number. It should be the same as the 2015 model but double check before ordering.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Drypowder View Post
    710004583 Is the part number. It should be the same as the 2015 model but double check before ordering.
    Thanks. I checked and still the same part number.

Spyder Garage

Drypowder, I've been searching for videos associated with this project, but haven't had any luck finding any. Were you able to find any videos when you did yours?

Spyder Garage

Yes, I added cruise to my 15 F3, same part number, about 2 hours worth of my time.
    2015 F3 , OEM None Black

Spyder Garage

I am going to add cc to my base model. I purchased a used control off ebay for a really good price. Now, I am wondering if I can just replace the dummy button from my current control with the button from the purchased unit. That seems easier than going into panels to find the connection point for the full assembly. Thoughts or cautions?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
    I am going to add cc to my base model. I purchased a used control off ebay for a really good price. Now, I am wondering if I can just replace the dummy button from my current control with the button from the purchased unit. That seems easier than going into panels to find the connection point for the full assembly. Thoughts or cautions?
    I was wondering the same thing. Have you removed the dummy button to see what's behind it? Was there any other CC control units on eBay?

Spyder Garage

I had a 2013 ST. I took the button out of an old switch, and the rocker below the button. Worked great
    2016 F3L , Black

Spyder Garage

7247AA38-D04A-4DD6-81D1-81DF05753ED4.jpgNo videos. Take out the screws on what you have now, follow wires along the handlebar and remove the right side panel just as if you were doing an oil change. This will get you to the connection that needs to be disconnected. Then plug in your new switch and route the wiring and fasten the screws.
    Last edited by Drypowder; 06-30-2019 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Added photo of panel to remove

Spyder Garage

7247AA38-D04A-4DD6-81D1-81DF05753ED4.jpgNo videos. Take out the screws on what you have now, follow wires along the handlebar and remove the right side panel just as if you were doing an oil change. This will get you to the connection that needs to be disconnected. Then plug in your new switch and route the wiring and fasten the screws.
    Awesome, Thanks for your helpful replies.

Spyder Garage

Hi I am new to this forum and found this information very useful. My question, does the 2019 f3 basic instrument display show when the added cruise is on, apparently it did on earlier models.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buggyman View Post
    Hi I am new to this forum and found this information very useful. My question, does the 2019 f3 basic instrument display show when the added cruise is on, apparently it did on earlier models.
    I should know later. I just finished the install, but it raining so I can't go testing. I started the bike and turned on the cruise, but there was no change in the display.

Spyder Garage

Got the CC installed and tested on my base F3. Everything works. When you set the CC a small speedometer icon appears next to your speed read out. Braking disables it and the icon disappears. You can add speed with throttle, but it takes more turning of the throttle than normal, but it does work. You increase speed by pressing up on the CC switch or decrease by pressing down. Shifting up or down will disengage CC.

The install was a little more involved than I expected. I had to remove the top cowing enough to allow access to the area just below the dash. The way they route the cables you can't just pull them through. You will need to pull through the throttle cable along with the controls cable. Where the cables come up next to the handlebars is very tight. Pull through the throttle cable first to make room, then work the control cable connector through.

Spyder Garage

My son in law did it two weeks ago on a 2015 F3 / it was a fare amount of work, but he got it done and it works !

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info that is very helpful, my service department says it is a 4 hour job.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buggyman View Post
    Thanks for the info that is very helpful, my service department says it is a 4 hour job.
    Now that I've done it once, I could do it in a couple hours and I'm not a mechanic. I would think your shop could do it in less time than me,

Spyder Garage

I know this is an older thread, just wanted to say thank you for the information here, very helpful! I took my spyder apart tonight and my cruise control switch comes in tomorrow I will be installing the cruise control this weekend on my 2019 Base F3. Great forum everyone is always helpful.
    2017 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

what did you find out with this? were yo able to just replace the dummy cap with the new one?
    2018 F3 , Black on Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcraig View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. Have you removed the dummy button to see what's behind it? Was there any other CC control units on eBay?
    did you just find out if this can be done?
    2018 F3 , Black on Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by osj3 View Post
    did you just find out if this can be done?
    I replaced the right side controls with F3S controls, which gave me CC.

Spyder Garage

what did you find out with this? were yo able to just replace the dummy cap with the new one?
    I replaced the whole right hand cluster with a new one that had cruise control about 250 with shipping. It wasn't difficult it just plugs in, just time consuming running the wires.
    2017 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tec35 View Post
    I replaced the whole right hand cluster with a new one that had cruise control about 250 with shipping. It wasn't difficult it just plugs in, just time consuming running the wires.
    Awsome, sent yesterday installing it on my base F3. after a couple hrs. Im set it works very well.
    2018 F3 , Black on Black

Spyder Garage

Awsome, sent yesterday installing it on my base F3. after a couple hrs. Im set it works very well.
    Congrats and enjoy the new cruise control.
    2017 F3 limited , Black