Spyder Garage

Default Tachometer malfunction

It seems that the analog tachometer isn't working correctly; but the digital readout seems perfectly fine. I don't think the RPMs go up that high!

I need to call my local dealer.
    2009 RS SE Spyder, Yellow, fog lights, 1" handlebar riser, 12V, Küryakyn ISO®-Wing Mini Board Highway Pegs.
    (Yes, Rhode Island is highlighted too!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigRock View Post
    It seems that the analog tachometer isn't working correctly; but the digital readout seems perfectly fine. I don't think the RPMs go up that high!

You're the first I've seen with that problem!
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    My mom always told me I was special!
    2009 RS SE Spyder, Yellow, fog lights, 1" handlebar riser, 12V, Küryakyn ISO®-Wing Mini Board Highway Pegs.
    (Yes, Rhode Island is highlighted too!)

Spyder Garage

My mom always told me I was special!
    She probably also told you at certain times that if you weren't careful "Your face will freeze that way," but I'll bet she didn't mean your tachometer face.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Tachometer

I have the opposite problem with the 2011 RT. After a few miles the Analog Tach reads 1000, the digital seems to be working properly. Dealer unable to replicate in 2 minutes and not willing to repair problem.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    But, Whenever a dealer tells me that, My stock answer to them is ;
    Write it down so when another Spyder comes in with the same problem, you can say , Your the second one we seen like that and we know how to fix it.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You exceeded 15K RPM
    Dealer need to order another display.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Justavet View Post
    I have the opposite problem with the 2011 RT. After a few miles the Analog Tach reads 1000, the digital seems to be working properly. Dealer unable to replicate in 2 minutes and not willing to repair problem.

This happen to me twice with my RT. The face of the tach bubbled up causing the needle to get stuck. Dealership replaced the whole dash twice. Third one has been a charm so far! I guess a new dash cost around $700, thank goodness for warranties! You can see where the needle has scraped against the face of the tach, so if your dealer could not replicate it point out the scrape marks (if any) and have them replace it.
    Last edited by taggtr; 06-05-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Tach issues

John and I are still on the road from leaving Seattle to Spyderfest. What a trip so far. We are currently in Tombstone,Az heading for Alpine,Az. In the AM, hopefully all the forest fires do not reroute us on our way to Albuquerque,NM.
    My tack went south about 2 weeks ago and the CB is another subject. GPS voice all garbeld. As this trip would have been nicer if John and I could have communicated as he is on a GW Trike. I still have an oil leak on driver left side that I hopefully can have fixed in Albq. Speaking of, does anyone have recomendations of a good Dealer in Albq. Sorry for Longer post than intended. Yes I would purchase another Spyder, this is my second, this is being the RT.

PS; We have been running in Temps. On average of 98 Plus. 5 bars max temp.
    Last edited by wa3wheels; 06-05-2011 at 11:05 PM.
    wa3wheels How can u drop a raw egg onto a concrete floor without cracking it? *Any way you want, concrete floors are very hard to crack.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wa3wheels View Post
    John and I are still on the road from leaving Seattle to Spyderfest. What a trip so far. We are currently in Tombstone,Az heading for Alpine,Az. In the AM, hopefully all the forest fires do not reroute us on our way to Albuquerque,NM.
    My tack went south about 2 weeks ago and the CB is another subject. GPS voice all garbeld. As this trip would have been nicer if John and I could have communicated as he is on a GW Trike. I still have an oil leak on driver left side that I hopefully can have fixed in Albq. Speaking of, does anyone have recomendations of a good Dealer in Albq. Sorry for Longer post than intended. Yes I would purchase another Spyder, this is my second, this is being the RT.

I guess another fire broke out up by Eager, CO (Just north of Alpine). Hope this link helps out with your AZ travels:
    http://www.az511.gov/adot/files/

Be safe!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wa3wheels View Post

closed due to serious fire
    Location On US Highway 191, NS-bound from mile post 176.70, 1.50 miles South of Granville Loop (A) to mile post 253.0, 0.60 miles South of US-180
    Duration from Wed, 1 Jun 2011 3:47 PM to Mon, 6 Jun 2011 8:45 AM

Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Justavet View Post

Just some thought... I do not care to much for a dealer that does not take care of folks like this. All they need is that photo. This is a warranty item and needs to be replaced...

We are getting a new one as well.. Told the cost is around $900 with labor, and BRP does not want to replace them if they do not have to.

I would take the photo to the dealer and ask them to reach out to BRP for a replacement.

Bad news on this though... Mileage goes to zero... So if you are looking for the mileage pins you will want to take a photo of the mileage with a news paper (To show date) and the registration in the same picture before taking it in to the dealer the day of repair.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyder Garage

We have the speedometer and tach both gone bad.
    Took pictures of them and sent to dealer.
    Will be getting new dash on Wed.

Spyder Garage

Default We have the same issue with 2011 RT

We have the same issue with our 2011 RT-S. It's seems to act-up the most when the outside temperature is anywhere above 80. I'll print this post out and take it to the dealer, plus take a picture the next time it happens. Thanks for the ideas!
    The Girlz,
    2015 Red RT-S SE5
    2015 Denim Blue ST-Limited SE5
    Black 2010 RT-622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There seems to be enough of these issues happening that perhaps the term "isolated incident" no longer applies...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Happens on my 2011 RT S also. Not sure if mine is the tach needle sticking tho. Sometimes going through the start up (needle swing) will fix it sometimes not. Sometimes it just sits where it it and sometimes the needle deflects but shows a much higher RPM I just washed the trike and let it sit in the sun to dry. Took it for a short spin and now it's in the garage cooling off so I'll see if that fixes it. Also sometimes it does it while driving. I'll look down and see the needle "stuck" Annoying but not critical.