Spyder Garage

Default Factory Cruise Control . . Baaad JuJu !

Discovered a feature of the factory cruise control today which could have gotten me into trouble. Had the cruise set at 65mph on a four lane divided highway, in the right lane, coming up on slower traffic, needed to move into the left lane and pass, started to move over into the left lane, turned the throttle to increase speed - NOTHING ! Repeat, nada-zip-zilch ! NO THROTTLE. Almost ran into the vehicle I was trying to pass.

When the factory cruise in engaged, the throttle is no longer working. To increase speed you must first touch the brake to disengage the cruise control and then accelerate. With the cruise engaged, no throttle response what so ever.

My Goldwing and every cage I've ever owned with cruise would allow you to accelerate and then when you let off the gas the cruise would resume the preset speed. NO SO WITH THE SPYDER. If traffic had been coming behind me expecting me to accelerate I would have been in real trouble.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

It works. There is an amount of slack in the throttle cable when the cruise is set. At least on my 2015 F3S. An eight or quarter turn it feels like.

FWIW, I was in the 2/52 ADA at Homestead in 1973-1975.

Frank in Tucson

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post
    Discovered a feature of the factory cruise control today which could have gotten me into trouble. Had the cruise set at 65mph on a four lane divided highway, in the right lane, coming up on slower traffic, needed to move into the left lane and pass, started to move over into the left lane, turned the throttle to increase speed - NOTHING ! Repeat, nada-zip-zilch ! NO THROTTLE. Almost ran into the vehicle I was trying to pass.

When the factory cruise in engaged, the throttle is no longer working. To increase speed you must first touch the brake to disengage the cruise control and then accelerate. With the cruise engaged, no throttle response what so ever.

My Goldwing and every cage I've ever owned with cruise would allow you to accelerate and then when you let off the gas the cruise would resume the preset speed. NO SO WITH THE SPYDER. If traffic had been coming behind me expecting me to accelerate I would have been in real trouble.

If BRP is listening - YOU NEED TO CORRECT THIS !

Might be a problem on yours, every other spyder i have ever used (and i have used dozens) works fine.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

There is no slack in the throttle cable as the Spyders are fly by wire. There is however a lag in the throttle when the cruise control is set because the twist control returns to the idle position. If one wants to pass with cruise control set all one has to do is twist the throttle past the fly by wire position it was at when the cruise control was set. Find a safe road and test it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have a2011 RTS. I can accelerate while the cruise is active. As stated above, maybe you didn't twist the throttle enough.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Just as a precaution, if you are going to accelerate beyond what is set on your cruise control, TURN IT OFF,

REASON: you may forget that it is on, and expect the Spyder to slow down as you let off the throttle and suddenly realize that it is still on cruise. this has happened to me.

JUST A SAFETY TIP.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

When you are riding on cruise control, if you let go of the throttle, it will snap back to its resting position (idle).

If you need/want to accelerate temporarily without disengaging cruise, you must first twist the handle to mach the current setting before you see any speed gain.

Also, I second the good advise from Cruz Joe.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

All good points

Spyder Garage

Yep.

There ain't nothin' fer BRP to correct. I just tested this as yer IP had me corncerned, aight. Workee as dee-zyned.

Reckon ye confirm whut-awl these fellers are tellin' ye - or ye have a problem wif ye specific trike needs fixin'.

Bad Juju indeed Best o' luck!

Cheers
    E

Spyder Garage

For what it's worth, I twisted the throttle all the way to full throttle, a number of times. NOTHING. I'll have it checked next time I'm at the dealer.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-27-2019 at 09:33 AM.
    2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

For what it's worth, I twisted the throttle all the way to full throttle, a number of times. NOTHING. I'll have it checked next time I'm at the dealer.
    Sorry about the edit....above. I pushed the wrong button. No changes were made to your posting.

Your glitch suggests that your cruise control needs looking at by the shop.

Mine always will accelerate and override the settings when needed.

Let us know what they find.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I should add that my Spyder was in the dealer just last month for the 20.8 firmware update. Any problems would have shown up in Buds at that time. I repeatedly tested the cruise this morning, both in ECO mode and standard mode. Same results, no acceleration when cruising. Other cruise functions are working fine, bump speed up or down, resume, all working fine. Thanks for all the replies.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    There is no slack in the throttle cable as the Spyders are fly by wire. There is however a lag in the throttle when the cruise control is set because the twist control returns to the idle position. If one wants to pass with cruise control set all one has to do is twist the throttle past the fly by wire position it was at when the cruise control was set. Find a safe road and test it.
    ………… this is all my cruise controlled spyder have worked …… Mike

Spyder Garage

My 13 RTL doesnt work that way. You must twist the throttle past the set position but it will accelerate then go back to the preset when you let off....

Spyder Garage

It appears you have a 2019 in your picture. I wonder did BRP change something with the cruise control on the 2019?
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

LifeLongRider, I looked through all the diagnostic fault codes (for my 2014) and could not find any that specifically related to the CC. That's not to say there isn't/are't codes there that I'm to slow to recognize, but since you went out and tested everything again and found no throttle response when CC is set it is possible that something goes dead once you set and it doesn't trigger a code therefore B.U.D.S. would not identify anything when you last had it at the dealership. Sounds like a technician test ride is a viable option.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I agree with Ottawa. That's the way mine works. Never had a problem picking up speed past the cruise set point.
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Spyder Garage

If BRP is listening - YOU NEED TO CORRECT THIS !
    you are mistaken. You just did not twist the throttle far enough. You have to open the throttle PAST the point that the cruise control already has it open to maintain speed, then it will over ride the cruise and speed up. Let go and it will drop back to the set speed. There is nothing wrong with the way your cruise is designed. Your car cruise actually works the same way, its just that the pedal travel is much less so you do not notice it.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    It appears you have a 2019 in your picture. I wonder did BRP change something with the cruise control on the 2019?
    Nope. Ridden one and it worked the same.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

hey fellas - if cruise control is set, never mind the throttle - simply use your thumb to push the cc button up to increase speed, or down to decrease speed. Been doing this on both my '16 f3t and '17 f3 ltd and my '16 rt ltd.

Spyder Garage

The Marine knows what he is talking about!!
    2014 RS+ , Excel 8.8 and NGK plugs Currently pearl white, Aircraft gray after rivets installed

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    you are mistaken. You just did not twist the throttle far enough.
    First, and with all due respect JC, don't tell me I was mistaken. I twisted the throttle all the way to full throttle and nothing.

Second, took the bike out again today and surprisingly all was working as it should. Acceleration with the cruise set at 60mph worked fine. Don't know why. It sat overnight and had a restart this morning, nothing else changed. Checked for fault codes, none. Can't even guess what the glitch was yesterday - but I was not mistaken.

Anyway, all seems good today. If it happens again I will take it in.

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear it's working properly, stay safe and enjoy the ride.

Joe
    Lamonster Bright Ryder,
    Lamonster Bright Tail Lighter,
    Lamonster H4 LED Headlights,
    Lamonster LED Fog Lights,
    Lamonster Fog Light Ring Combo,
    Rox Riser
    Lamonster Driver Back Rest,
    Lamonster Frame Mount Drink Holder.
    Lamonster 15" Freedom Shield Wind Shield
    ******* USA flag
    Freecom 2 head sets
    Mirror Wedgies by Squared Away
    Motorcycle Dave's Tachform phone cradle
    Spyderpops Turnsignal LEDs
    Spyder Sisters Shade
    Spyderpops LidLocs
    Spyderpops front fender LEDs by Show Chrome
    Motorcycle Dave's Gel seat insert
    2018 F3L , Blue

Spyder Garage

First, and with all due respect JC, don't tell me I was mistaken. I twisted the throttle all the way to full throttle and nothing.

Second, took the bike out again today and surprisingly all was working as it should. Acceleration with the cruise set at 60mph worked fine. Don't know why. It sat overnight and had a restart this morning, nothing else changed. Checked for fault codes, none. Can't even guess what the glitch was yesterday - but I was not mistaken.

Anyway, all seems good today. If it happens again I will take it in.
    Apologies, poor word choice.

As others have said, yours is not SUPPOSED to work that way. Its not a design defect, yours is having an issue if it is doing as you describe.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

First of all, cruise control is not supposed to be used in heavy freeway traffic. If I come to a slower vehicle and feel the need to pass, I just downshift and that disengages the CC and also gives you the power to get around them easier. Just hit resume or reset it later.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic