Spyder Garage

Default 2012 Spyder RT Excessive Heat Issue

Hello,
    I own a 012 Spyder RT and experience EXCESSIVE heat coming from the right side cowling outlet.
    Obviously it is the heat that is being exhausted from the rad. Unfortunately it routes directly into my right foot.
    I'm hoping someone may have suggestions on how this Excessive Heat can be redirected away from my foot.
    Thank you
    Charles

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

this post was moved from the welcome area.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3wheelchuckie View Post
    Hello,
    I own a 012 Spyder RT and experience EXCESSIVE heat coming from the right side cowling outlet.
    Obviously it is the heat that is being exhausted from the rad. Unfortunately it routes directly into my right foot.
    I'm hoping someone may have suggestions on how this Excessive Heat can be redirected away from my foot.
    Thank you
    Charles
    Charles,

We had the same issue with my wife's 2012 RT Limited and found a solution that works well, in our opinion. Head back to the forum home page and click on the Lamonster Garage icon. Then, on the left side of the home page, select "Spyder RT", then scroll down until you find "heat shields." Lamonster offers what he calls an "RT upper radiator exhaust block-off" that includes an insulated heat shield, for $34. In our experience, it's worth every cent. We installed one and found that it does what it proports to do - dramatically lessen right foot roasting heat.

Please note that, although the installation is very easy, Lamonster indicates the bottom shield must be removed. That isn't as easy as the block-off installation is but it's worth the effort. We ran the RT up on a set of auto ramps to give us some working room, and also modified the portion of the shield that remains by drilling five or six two inch holes to improve air flow. That mod was described on the forum some time ago and we believe it's worthwhile. We can state that the temp gauge has never gone beyond the half way mark even during our spring adventures to Arizona and the Texas Big Bend country where temps reached the 90s with regularity.

Hope this may be of some help to you, Arion
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here is the scoop kit developed for the 2013 heat recall that will work on any RT. Also remove the splash pans from under the engine.

https://www.amazon.com/Can-Am-Spyder.../dp/B079S6B78J
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Here is the scoop kit developed for the 2013 heat recall that will work on any RT. Also remove the splash pans from under the engine.

https://www.amazon.com/Can-Am-Spyder.../dp/B079S6B78J
    I bought the vent kit from amazon and IT DOES NOT COME WITH INSTRUCTIONS OF ANY KIND. Some people from this forum sent pics and helped me figure it out. I didn't cut out the area that is under the vent, just removed the stock grill. It works great and I don't get much, if any, heat from radiators or engine, and the glove box won't cook a sub type sandwich any more, or fry your phone. Temp gauge hasn't gone over half way, even in slow traffic. Fan will still blow towards the front as designed. Oh, and my RT-s is a 2015 and the kit will work on any year RT even though it was originally designed for the 998cc v-twin engine. I think the original instructions can be found at a dealership that has been around since the earlier model years. Good luck
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I also had the same heat issues with my 2012. I installed the air scoop kit and it makes a huge difference. I also wrapped my exhaust to control some of the heat that radiates from it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    ...click on the Lamonster Garage icon. Then, on the left side of the home page, select "Spyder RT", then scroll down until you find "heat shields." Lamonster offers what he calls an "RT upper radiator exhaust block-off" that includes an insulated heat shield, for $34
    Does anyone know if this would also work for my 2016 ST-S, or is there a similar part/fix available elsewhere?
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic