Spyder Garage

Default Curious Question About Touring (F3-S)

Hi Gang,
    I had a question for the F3/F3-S owners. Have anyone of you ever taken a long trip on your F3/S before? The F3-T/L/RT suppose to be the touring models, but they all basically have the same engine power. With a good set of shocks and seat, shouldn't the F3/S be able to handle touring just as well as the others?

I was just wondering because the dealer was trying to talk me into upgrading for touring.

Spyder Garage

I live in New Orleans and have ridden to northern Arkansas and enjoyed riding in the mountains. The total trip was a little shy of 2000 miles and my basic F3 SM6 did just fine. At the time I did not have saddlebags and just used a large leather bag to carry my stuff. Since then I have installed pelican cases. As a result I now have more storage than an F3T. That trip also convinced my to add a sheepskin seat pad.

Spyder Garage

You can tour on anything you want to. I used to make 2,000 mile round trips on a Honda 400. Made some 4,000 and 5,000 mile trips on Yamaha 750. No saddlebags or case on any of them. I just put what was needed in a kayak dry bag and tied it on the seat. Been off on 30 day trips that went 12,000 to 15,000 miles on an old hard mount Harley Sportster with springer front end, no windshield, no attached bags of any kind. Rode the entire Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive on it, then continued on up into the White Mtns. There is nothing stopping you from touring on the F3-S except you.

PS the dealer wants to sell you another bike, so of course he says you need a touring model.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I have an F3, wife has an F3T. I actually carry more on my bike with the Shad saddlebag than she can. A lot more. And they come off to go inside when I need to or don't want them on the bike. Other than the stereo which I do not use, the F3 is the better all around bike for me. Several 5 to 8k trips so far. Headed out on a 6k in Aug.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had an F3S and Traded for an F3T. I would not go back. I had the BRP bags on my F3S and they were great but you had to keep checking to make sure they were not coming loose. And the after market ones you can buy for the F3S just never look right (to me). For long trips I pack the F3T bags full and also take a dry duffle bad and tie it down. The F3T has the faster sprocket since the F3L has the RT sprocket. I think they are all great machines so you really cant go wrong.

Spyder Garage

20190504_124739 (2).jpg Picture of my F3s set up for touring
    2018 F3s, 2016 versys 650LT, 2001 concours 1000

Spyder Garage
    It really is a sickness!
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Spyder Garage

Just got back from a 2000mi trip, F3-S, two up with the Shad side cases and it was great.

Both have the same riding position (F3S and F3T and L). With the T and L you get an air bag to adjust the dreadful rear suspension. For two up my advice would be replace the rear shock anyway. Really weak and not suitable when you start putting some weight on the rear. Other than that you'll have more room with an F3S + Shad side cases than with a T (nice integrated side cases but will not hold an helmet there). So you'll either have to go for the Ts topcase (+$2000) or straight to the Limited which includes a topcase and is a bunch of more money.

If you have no interest on the stereo and the fancy dashboard (like me), go for the S (or base), add the windshield, side cases and a decent rear shock. You'll get a perfect two up cruiser, tourer and commuter and save quite a bit of money at the end.
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black Satin

Spyder Garage

You guys are awesome and it surely gives me a clearer picture now. I'll tell the salesman to shove it! Lol - Just kidding.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MakoShark2 View Post
    Just got back from a 2000mi trip, F3-S, two up with the Shad side cases and it was great.

Both have the same riding position (F3S and F3T and L). With the T and L you get an air bag to adjust the dreadful rear suspension. For two up my advice would be replace the rear shock anyway. Really weak and not suitable when you start putting some weight on the rear. Other than that you'll have more room with an F3S + Shad side cases than with a T (nice integrated side cases but will not hold an helmet there). So you'll either have to go for the Ts topcase (+$2000) or straight to the Limited which includes a topcase and is a bunch of more money.

If you have no interest on the stereo and the fancy dashboard (like me), go for the S (or base), add the windshield, side cases and a decent rear shock. You'll get a perfect two up cruiser, tourer and commuter and save quite a bit of money at the end.
    what rear shock did you use? when you replaced the original.

Spyder Garage

There are several brands of good quality inexpensive soft bags if you want to do a test your. The F3S is capable of much longer runs than its human operators. I have Pelican bags and a Givi top case that cause me to always take more than I need.
    2015 F3S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Oops, that's tour. Stupid spell check. You will also need a windshield. I have a Madstad and it does a good job. I cannot compare it to other windshields as I have not ridden behind any others.
    2015 F3S , Orange

Spyder Garage

For Mike P
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 F3S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ketchup View Post
    what rear shock did you use? when you replaced the original.
    I'm located in Europe, we have an good local manufacturer (UK and France based) which makes great shocks for the Spyder at a reasonable price.

http://www.shock-factory.co.uk/

Their rear adjustable shock will cost around 395€ (about $450)

There's also a front set for 700€ ($800)
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black Satin

Spyder Garage

Default Shad Bags

The Shad bags grow on you. When I installed mine I intended to remove them when not needed, but now the bike looks naked without them. I like the look much better than the Can Am bags.

Spyder Garage

Just put 600 miles on our 2018 F3 with just a tour bag on the luggage rack. It worked great. IMG_20190608_110935116_HDR[1].jpg
    2018 F3

Spyder Garage

I've done 2 long trips on my f3s. I've got the shad side bags. Made my own top cases from some rigid tool boxes from home depot. I bolt them to a rear rack the bottom one stays on and the top one I can bring in if I need to or just leave it on. I pulled a Mini Mate last trip but did hotels and airbnb first trip. Give it a go. It's awesome!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Spyder Garage

You don't need a specially equipped bike to tour. All of that stuff is just for convenience.

I've been ridding for 47 years and have toured all over the country. I camped and motel stayed off of my bikes. For the first 15 years with nothing more than a luggage rack and bungie cords.

Now I have the full touring rig and tow a camping trailer. That is just because I'm older, can afford it, and don't want to sleep on the ground. (Basically it's because I want to sit on the side of my bed when putting my shoes on.)

Don't over think it. Just go out and enjoy yourself.
    2018 Can Am Spyder F3L, 1995 BMW R1100R, 1988 Suzuki GS250, 2019 Ryker 600 (Wife's)

Spyder Garage

Naw, the only thing they are good for is a trip to the Dairy Queen.

<attempt at a joke>
    If you don't have adequate storage space then put some saddle bags on.
    That puppy will take you anywhere you want to go and you'll long for home long before it does.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Spyder Garage

You can't carry everything you want with you on a motorcycle. You can carry everything you need with you.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I have ridden all over the US and to Ontario, Canada on my '15 F3-S. I have the Shad side bags with the inner bags and a dry bag that I strap to the luggage rack behind the passenger seat. You don't need an RT to tour unless you really want one. I chose the F3 because of the cruiser riding position.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red