Spyder Garage

Default How to manually air up rear shock on 2010 Spyder RTS

Leaving on trip and no time to trouble shoot problem now. Wondering how to close bleeder valve and air up manually. New to Spyders.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-20-2020 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Not a 'How to:' but a 'How do I?'

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, if you haven't left yet, the quick and dirty way to disable the system:

First, pull off the right side panels to get access to the solenoid vent valve, what I believe you are calling the bleeder valve and unplug the electrical connector. The plug is right there close by the valve. You do that in order to prevent the valve from letting out the air that you just put in.

Next, open up your fuse panel in the frunk (front storage compartment) - it's on the left side as you're sitting on the bike, right side as you're facing the frunk - and remove the suspension relay. On the 2011 and 12's it is R1. Should be the same on a 2010, I just don't have a diagram to be absolutely certain, but pretty certain. First relay on the left when facing the box. Once you take off the outer cover of the fuse box, there should be a label on the outside of the inner cover identifying all fuses and relays...if it's still there. You do that in order to prevent the bike from trying to run a possibly faulty compressor and possibly blowing the fuse. The fuse feeds other things, too, and you don't want that to blow.

Lastly, then you just air up the rear suspension using the Schrader valve - that tire valve stem looking thing - under your seat. There are instructions in your owners manual for how much air compared to how much weight. When in doubt, use 50#. Adjust higher or lower as you see fit. Keep in mind that every time you check the pressure with a tire gauge, you will lose a few pounds of of pressure. If the system won't hold air pressure after you manually fill it, then you have a leak - either from the air bag, one of the connections, or a bad check valve on the compressor.

You may or may not get a nuisance indicator light on your display telling you of a problem with the air suspension system. The cluster is simply trying to adjust things and getting no response. Obviously, you ignore that until you get back. Ride safe. Watch out for deer.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

what Snowbelt said. You could still lose air if the check valve is gummed up. Carry a small compressor if you have one. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

You can bypass the check valve by running a airline direct from the airbag to the air valve under the seat, though it's a tight fit for large hands. The fittings are push/slip fittings, to remove the air line, push in on the collar and the line should slip out.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Thanks. This may save my trip.