Spyder Garage

Default what have you done to your ST for safety

Well I am here for some info, yes this forum has many good inputs on mods. I'm looking at things that have been added for safety, lets face it car people never see us???? That statement is getting old.
    I'm looking at making her ST safer to ride/see, not ugly. I would like to see what others have done and why. I think I will start with lights, I ride behind her and notice that its a bit lacking in the visibility for the ST. I also have to keep it looking good for her, she has different ideas on how it should look. We did just get this, the sporty just wasn't for her.

Spyder Garage

Spyder

The ST is a great commuting and touring machine.
    For my 2013 ST-S I installed:
    1. Driving lights mounted on the lower A frames.
    2. Replaced the reflectors on the front fenders with LED side lights from TricLED. The lights are wired into the turn signals. Very visible from the sides and back.
    3. Replaced the stock headlights for LED bulbs from LaMonster.
    4. Added OEM saddle bags and installed DIY LED lights for rear Stop and Turn indicators in the bags. Commercial lights are available too.
    5. Installed a SpyderPops bump skid plate and BajaRON sway bar.
    6. Replaced the stock wimpy horn with a FIAMM - Freeway Blaster.
    Loud and effective. Bolts in to the OEM mount and uses the Spyder wiring.

PM me for a parts list.
    Ride safe,
    David C.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

I think those mods are about what I'm looking for, thanks Haze.

Spyder Garage

Reflective pinstriping. I bought 3M black reflective 1/8" and 1/4" wide. I put it along the edge of the windshield, along the floorboards, on the frame, rear grips, etc. everywhere that was already black. I liked the look on my Pearl White ST, so I also ran the 1/8" along the "seams" or "edges" of the panels, like around the bottom edge of the frunk, around the edge of the saddle bag doors, along the side panels edges, etc. Looks sharp. You cannot see the frame striping during the day but at night it lights up big time. I also got 7" amber LED strips and mounted on the rear panels' edge (under the "ST-S" badge" starting close to the tail light. Spliced into the harness behind the tail lamp. Super bright from behind. I was going to add the 3x5" LED Flag, but traded the bike in before I did.

Spyder Garage

I wanted to differentiate the Spyder from either a Car or a 2 wheeler.
    So I added ******* sourced A-Arm LED's to the front end. Very distinctive look.

The back of the ST is nearly invisible in the dark. Those two little bullet lights won't get anyone's attention. And about 30% of M/C accidents are getting rearended.
    So I added the same supplier's LED strips on the back of the rear seat hand holds, out where they can be seen all around, rather than inside on the bags where they can't be seen except from the rear.

Like Haze, I upgrade the horn, only in my case it's the Nautilus Airhorn. Have used those on all my bikes for decades.

I run the CalSci touring windshield and it has a little light pipe action around the edges.

All this being said, you have to be aware of your positioning on the roadway at all times. All the lights, horns, inflatable clowns and whatever else you can bolt on won't do you a bit of good when the cager's are texting in the next lane.
    Make sure you're seen. Don't sit in a blind spot, or tailgate to the point where some brain dead tries to squeeze between the first car and the one trailing you.
    Very few people pull out in front of Semi's. Spyders (or any other M/C) are not a threat and therefore don't register in their Reptilian brains.

Be obnoxious. The life you save may be your own.
    2015 STS SE5 * Bajaron sway bar and end links * M2 Shocks
    * PPA Wheels * Centramatic balancers
    *HMF Exhaust * CalSci Windshield
    2015 STS , Bajaron Black/White/Red

Spyder Garage

Parts list sent by PM. I will have to look for photos.
    What Year and Model is the the ST?

Cheers, David C.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Light for the rearIMG_6228.jpg IMG_3017.jpg long led strips on grab rails light tail& brake & the fender lights from former vendor. The smaller led modulate with brake SpyderPops offers similar products he can get you LIT

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Great post! I'm looking to add similar lighting for front fenders and rear edges on grab bars.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Another proponent of "you can't have to many lights."

Driver visibility is also good. I like my black leather jackets, but also have a couple yellow trimmed jackets, a white helmet, and a couple yellow helmets. For a year, we also wore safety vests...but tired of them. Not great for visibility on our RT's anyway.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Great post. I really want to be more noticeable and safe as well.

Thus far, I have:

-- replaced all but 2 reflectors (rear left/right frame) with LED's including the one above the license plate
    -- replaced headlight bulbs with LED's
    -- replaced stock windshield with a larger one from CalSci
    -- added a center tail light LED behind the seat
    -- added a smart triple play device to blink brake lights when slowing/stopping

All LED's were purchased from Custom Dynamics.

All of ya'll really posted some great ideas for me to feed off of...thanks!!
    Life's short...Play it by ear and ryde!

Spyder Garage

thanks for all the replies, sorry I have had work then vac. We took the spyder on vac and she has really took to it. We put on about 600+ miles and I think this was a great move for her. I think she will start riding it to work, that is one reason I started the thread. I ride behind her and I don't think the factory lights are enough. I have to also work on this oil use issue now as well as the lights/safety stuff. Thanks for all the inputs. Keep them coming!