Spyder Garage

Default clutch problem F3T

Put my F3T in for a service yesterday and the dealer advised I have a clutch problem. I have never experienced problems and had no fault codes.

BRP advised that the clutch plates had worn too thin, and there were 26 messages found by BUDS.

Also, it was my fault, I had caused the problem by changing up at too low a speed consistently, so not covered under warranty.

I pointed out that the nanny decides when I can change up, impossible to change too early.

They are 'considering it'. The Spyder will be with the dealer for at least a week.

I had no problems at all and only wanted a service!

Should point out I bought this F3T as a demo and have owned it for 16 months.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your clutch issue.

It is a surprise to me that you would have a clutch problem and not notice. Not sure what to make of that.

Clutch plates have worn too thin. How do they know? Did they take it apart and measure them?

The shift computer controls the clutch on a 1330 engine so it should not matter the rpm. Did they show you the printout of your rpm profile? Did they show you a policy statement form BRP about rpm for specifically a 1330 engine? I almost think they are confusing your 1330 engine type with a 998 engine with a centrifugal clutch.

Clutch plates are never covered under warranty. They are considered a wear item like brake pads and light bulbs.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What were the 26 messages and did you ever get warning lights? As Billy said the 1330 is very forgiving and I highly doubt you were shifting at too low rpm. If you use Eco Mode it has you shifting at 1300 or so can’t get much lower than that! Now if you had the 998I would totally agree with them
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Really😲

I would be very suspicious. Unless they took the clutch package apart which is not part of the service ever, they can not know the condition. If they are going on the BUDS records this will also not indicate a bad clutch. Could show rpm records but not condition and not knowing the codes they are refering to I know of none as to the clutch condition or shifting wrong. Before they do any work I would get a second opinion on this JMO
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Your biggest problem is not with your Spyder …… It's the dealer servicing dept.. As stated by others - something is very fishy here ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

There are codes for clutch slippage but those are usually generated when the HCM fails to provide sufficient oil pressure to lock up the clutch. IE its usually an oil supply / pressure problem, not a clutch wear problem. Wear can only be determined by tear down, not BUDS codes.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

OK, thanks for comments. They are tearing it down now to measure parts. I'll keep you informed.
    Baz

Spyder Garage

Good news.

BRP, while pointing out that clutch plates are normally a wear item, have agreed in this case to repair under warranty.

Parts are ordered and I should have the Spyder back next week.

Baz

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that BRP is going to pay for the clutch plates out of good will. They have done this before. Usually because it was caused by something else that is covered. Did they explain to you why the clutch plates wore out prematurely. I am curious what the root cause was.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

No explanations. I am happy to get it fixed. Don't want to stir the pot!

Spyder Garage

Got the F3T back today. Riding well (got rid of eco mode), bit less noisy.
    I asked how the nanny could know about clutch wear.. it measures solenoid movement, too much movement equals too much wear.
    The service guy told me that he had never seen a clutch worn so much in such a short time.
    I know a clutch repair kit came in and was fitted, under warranty.

Happy with result and happy with dealer (Seadoo Sport and Leisure)

Baz