Spyder Garage

Default Manually downshifting SE6 ?

How many of you manually downshift all the time ? I had a manual shift 5 speed 2011 RT, and I got used to downshifting when I was coming to a stop, and now do it all the time on SE6. It isn’t hard on anything to do that is it, or wear anything out ? Seems to me like it kinda saves on brakes a little bit. Just wondering if I’m wearing something out trying to save something else. Thanks

Spyder Garage

If I'm coming to a full stop, I'll let the system auto-downshift. I'f I'm merely slowing down temporarily, I'll manually downshift.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I always manually downshift (SE5 or SE6) … this keeps the Spyder in the "power band" range in case I have to react to a negative situation. Won't need to downshift as part of the reaction, I have already done so.

All the best …. Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

I let it downshift by itself around town most of the time but if we're doing twisties I'll downshift and back-off the throttle before the turn and let the 12:1 compression ratio slow me and have power to pull out of the turn.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Cowgirl View Post
    I always manually downshift (SE5 or SE6) … this keeps the Spyder in the "power band" range in case I have to react to a negative situation. Won't need to downshift as part of the reaction, I have already done so.

All the best …. Ann

You saved me all the typing. This is my answer as well. Always be prepared.

Spyder Garage

All the best …. Ann
    Do the same for the same reasons

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Devaluation by age is the major expense with any vehicle.
    If your worried about wearing out the transmission before the brakes or vice versa your barking up the wrong tree.
    Ride the hell out of it and worry less.
    If the transmission goes out to lunch it is a piece of crap and you can then come back and tell us all and we'll stop buying them.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

On ours, it is mixed. Sometimes I let the machines computer do it, other times, I grab the gear.

FWIW, the item that will fail is the left grip shifter. Ours and others have had to have the shifter replaced.

The gearbox, clutch, and drivetrain can handle it without concern, far less stress than high power upshifts.

Spyder Garage

All the best …. Ann
    Well said.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The nanny (computer) on the bike won't let you downshift if it doesn't deem it safe. Same as up-shifting, if the RPM's are too low, it won't shift.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Downshift all the time.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Thanx for all the replies. It just kind a seems the normal thing to do, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t going to screw something up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
    If I'm coming to a full stop, I'll let the system auto-downshift. I'f I'm merely slowing down temporarily, I'll manually downshift.
    Same here.

Spyder Garage

Newbie (Spyder) here. I've had my 'ol Triumph 35+ years and always downshift, so I'm very used to the idea. I've now had my '18 RT SE6 since July and cannot seem to get it to downshift without what I think is an extraordinary amount of force on the paddle shifter. In the last week or so as the weather has tuned cold, it is reluctant to go into reverse. To describe the force I apply, I feels as though I could break the shifter. Question is, does it take a lot more force than upshifting to downshift? I'm taking into consideration the RPM vs. road speed and what the nanny does to limit "mistakes". Other thought is, are the paddle shifters problematic and perhaps the problem is there?
    2018 RT Limited , OXFORD BLUE METALLIC Dark Edition

Spyder Garage

The paddle shift switch is just an electric switch. RPM and road speed have no effect on it. If it is hard to move, you need to get the switch fixed.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

RE: Downshifting the SE. In most cases, I let the do the downshift when it determines the rpm's are ready for the next lower gear. One exception, if I need power now, I will downshift it manually.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-24-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by doncanfix2 View Post
    Newbie (Spyder) here. I've had my 'ol Triumph 35+ years and always downshift, so I'm very used to the idea. I've now had my '18 RT SE6 since July and cannot seem to get it to downshift without what I think is an extraordinary amount of force on the paddle shifter. In the last week or so as the weather has tuned cold, it is reluctant to go into reverse. To describe the force I apply, I feels as though I could break the shifter. Question is, does it take a lot more force than upshifting to downshift? I'm taking into consideration the RPM vs. road speed and what the nanny does to limit "mistakes". Other thought is, are the paddle shifters problematic and perhaps the problem is there?
    This is a known problem with some of 2018 models. Take it back to your dealer and have the left handlebar controls replaced under warranty.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by doncanfix2 View Post
    Light touch is all it should take. If yours is different, take it back for the dealer to fix it. This is a known problem on some 2018s.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Should shift down instantly when pressing the pedal up or down to shift

No hard pressure is needed

Spyder Garage

Appreciate all the fellow ryder comments. I always knew something was up, when the reverse problem showed up I was convinced. She's off to the dealer today in fact!
    2018 RT Limited , OXFORD BLUE METALLIC Dark Edition

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I downshift manually coming to traffic lights and intersections in general. I like to be in a position to change gears if I need to in a hurry - The last episode :
    I had a Tilt Tray truck coming up behind me at a downhill set of lights above the speed limit. Looking at the driver he was on his phone and I could see he hadn't seen me nor the red light. No one was coming thru the intersection so I accelerated off - he stopped where I was originally plus a few metres.

2017 RTL with 36000 KMs
    Last edited by askitee; 12-06-2019 at 06:39 PM. Reason: added speedo
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I have had my 2017 F3L for 2-1/2 years now (15,000 miles), and have consistently manually down-shifted (engine-braked) since the very beginning. An old habit left over from standard-shift sports car driving. My instincts (sound and feel) have always 'urged' me to manually down shift somewhat in advance of what the Spyder's computer brain tells it to do. In that regard, I agree with Spyder_Cowgirl and others here - I want (to feel) the 'live' engine underneath me, always well within the power band.

Whether we manually down shift early, or wait and let the computer do it automatically, doesn't add anything to the number of actual gear changes - both procedures go up and down through the same 6 speeds; there are no short-cuts, no extra shifts whether manually or automatically done. So, I don't believe or see how any additional wear results. I don't abuse the RPM's, but expect the Nanny would protect if I ever did badly misjudge. I have, once or twice, absentmindedly down-shifted when I meant to up-shift; my F3L snarled and growled at me momentarily, but took it all in stride, without any scolding from Nan.

As far as the amount of force necessary to paddle shift, my F3L has always had a very 'soft', almost 'hair-trigger' feel. I barely have to touch the paddle to go up or down. I would think anything else (excessive force) is highly questionable and defective.

My greatest concern in manually down-shifting so frequently, was more that I was in danger of not sufficiently warning following traffic of my reductions in speed, since I usually do this without touching the brakes. My brake light system was not coming on or lighting up to alert those behind. For that reason, one of the first farkles to my Spyder was a deceleration light which functions independently of the brake light system. There are several choices on the market; I chose to go with one made by AdMore. It can be adjusted to 'light up' in a number of variable patterns. A little extra 'peace of mind' for the committed down-shifter.
    Cheers, all.unnamed.jpg
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

I downshift all the time, with a careful eye behind because like others have said no brake lights. As long as no one is following closely you can downshift and sometimes the light will change and you won't have to apply brakes at all. 24,000mi 2015 RT LTD.