Spyder Garage

Default Can I use car tires on my 2011 RT?

I was looking at my RT's tires and giving it some thought. They LOOK like regular car tires (a bit small but...) so, despite the "special motorcycle tires" label on the tires, could I replace them, when the time comes, with regular car tires? I'm sure some of yall have already done the thinking on this so I come to you with the question. If I can, it opens the door on a lot of different tread patterns and performance options to handle the hydroplaning issues that the safety card warns about and also cuts down on the price of the tire itself.
    2011 RT , Silver

Spyder Garage

Plenty of threads on this subject. But the short answer is 'Yes'.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

And this is why I asked. I'm still learning the site so I've found that the best way to find out is...ask.
    2011 RT , Silver

Spyder Garage

As Ron said the answer is YES! and highly recommended.

Use the Advanced Search function in the top right of the screen.
    Search for tires and you will have a weeks worth of reading, research and opinions.

I have a General Altimax RT43 in size 215 /60-15 on the rear of my ST.
    Your size may vary.
    I plan to switch to car tires for the front when the stock Kenda tires wear out.

David C.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of good people and information here. In the upper right corner type "car tires" in the white box and hit the search icon. You will find enough reading to keep you busy (and dizzy) for weeks and weeks. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I was looking at my RT's tires and giving it some thought. They LOOK like regular car tires (a bit small but...) so, despite the "special motorcycle tires" label on the tires, could I replace them, when the time comes, with regular car tires? I'm sure some of yall have already done the thinking on this so I come to you with the question. If I can, it opens the door on a lot of different tread patterns and performance options to handle the hydroplaning issues that the safety card warns about and also cuts down on the price of the tire itself.
    First off … thank you for your service ...second I'll save you the time and frustration looking for the best tire ….. It is the Vredestein Quatrac 5 ….. I discovered this tire a few months ago and after recommending it here , quite a few folks have tried it ….. Everyone has been very happy with that choice, especially in the rain. You have 14in. front wheels ...I'll post what size you could use for the front 14in.- 155/65 or 165/60 or 165/65 …. for the rear 205/60-15in. …..good luck ……...Mike ...…...PS there are lots of Vredestein tire posts ….. just enter Vredestein tire ...in the search box ( above right )

Spyder Garage

I've spent the last hour and a half-ish reading through the threads on tires.....Sorry about creating another. Just wow.

I find it interesting that locations refuse to change out our tires with whatever we choose because of in house lawyers but..that's life.
    2011 RT , Silver

Spyder Garage

CVA;
    i'm not absolutely certain, but i'm thinking i was the 1st person to put a car tire on a SPYD3R.... back in '09, i put a KUMHO on the rear of my RS... then i put another KUMHO on after the 1st one lasted 22,000 miles of smiles... all total, i put 8,000 on the Kenda before she died, and 22K on the 1st KUMHO, then 23K on the 2nd... sold the RS and got a new 2015 F3 (which i still have)... my F3 now has just under 60,000 miles of smiles on her, and the Kenda (again) died around 7500 miles... mounted another KUMHO... and burnt her up... now i'm spinning a MICHELON HYDRO-EDGE (which is no longer available, DANG)... with over 100,000 miles of smiles on CAR TIRES, i'm here to tell you that you will have ZERO issues if you so choose to go this route... i would estimate that all totaled, SPYD3Rs now have well over 5,000,000 miles on car tires without ONE problem... some dealers will NOT install them, other dealers will make you sign a 'non-disclosure' and other dealers will just mount them without any BS.... also, i run CAR TIRES on the front as well.... again; ZERO ISSUES......
    good luck, ride safely, and enjoy life....
    SPYD3R MAN DAN
    Easley, SC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I've spent the last hour and a half-ish reading through the threads on tires.....Sorry about creating another. Just wow.

I find it interesting that locations refuse to change out our tires with whatever we choose because of in house lawyers but..that's life.
    ……...well maybe my post #6 will help you out ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Since this topic has come up, I have a follow up question:

You guys have concluded that you can use a car tire for the (back?) tire (or can it be any of the three tires?), but does anyone have an idea whether there could be insurance consequences of using a non-approved type of tire on the Spyder? Would they be able to use the fact that you used a car tire against you?

Vince

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VinceDee View Post

You guys have concluded that you can use a car tire for the (back?) tire (or can it be any of the three tires?), but does anyone have an idea whether there could be insurance consequences of using a non-approved type of tire on the Spyder? Would they be able to use the fact that you used a car tire against you?

Vince
    Yes you can use them on all three ….. INSURANCE ??? ….. I believe you would be covered under the Moss-Magnusson Act ( ie law ) ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VinceDee View Post

Vince
    Insurance, warranty, etc., are non-issues by law and proven to be non-issues by practice. Of course, you have to use a bit of reason in your selection. Just because it fits doesn't mean it's the best choice.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    ... Of course, you have to use a bit of reason in your selection. Just because it fits doesn't mean it's the best choice.
    And just because you read it here doesn't mean it's good info. Self praise is no recommendation....

Spyder Garage

The best way to find out is Search, especially basic questions that likely have been asked a few dozen times.
    Another suggestion that I do is to start a collection of bookmarks by subject(tires, engine, parts, oil etc) as you explore the various sections and threads of the forums. You'll create your own reference library of easy to find information on topics and questions already answered.
    You'll also be able to determine the subject experts
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue