Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Calling "All Weather" RT tourers about Aquaplaning

I do and always have ridden in any weather (except hail and snow).

Has anyone found any methods to reduce the RT's tendency to aquaplane?

The weather was rainy so I took the day off and spent it on a 700km ride to do a little testing with settings to reduce aquaplaning. These seemed to help
    1. Putting the suspension firmness up.
    2. Which in turn put more weight on the front wheels.
    3. Later I added 1 PSI to the front tyres and this too "seemed" reduce the tendency to aquaplane.

When I rode two wheel tourers, if it was light rain we'd keep suspension soft so that the tyre didn't get too pushed around, allowing it to just softly follow deformations in the road surface. If the rain increased to the point of pooling on the road we'd increase suspension pressures to help apply more force to the tyre when it met pooled water by the suspension wanting to push the wheel downwards more readily.

Have you found any aftermarket tyres that have provided a noticeable reduction in this behavior?
    Have you found any aftermarket suspension that have provided a noticeable reduction in this behavior?
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Riding in more than an inch of water at more than 55 will set it off most every time. I came from AK where there are grooves in the highway from each car tire. They allow studded tires in winter, and they eat up the road. When it rains, the groves fill up quickly. In my early years, I took two hydroplaning rides. Both ended up okay for me....but I got the message quickly.

Don't drive through standing water at speed and you will be all right. If you have to...then just slow down below 50 (if possible).

There is a section on hydroplaning in the manual. I think it was near or on the last page.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

it's so simple...….slow down. and there ya' go.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Riding in more than an inch of water at more than 55 will set it off most every time. I came from AK where there are grooves in the highway from each car tire. They allow studded tires in winter, and they eat up the road. When it rains, the groves fill up quickly. In my early years, I took two hydroplaning rides. Both ended up okay for me....but I got the message quickly.

Don't drive through standing water at speed and you will be all right. If you have to...then just slow down below 50 (if possible).

There is a section on hydroplaning in the manual. I think it was near or on the last page.
    Actually 3/16ths inch will be more than enough ….. another major cause is - immediately after it starts to rain, all the crap on the road " floats from the road surface " and causes the surface to be even more " traction challenged " …… not kidding …. Mike

Spyder Garage

1. A good wet weather tire. Search SL.
    2. Slow down.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I ride in the rain a lot and have found the General Altimax RT43 in 215/60R15 inflated at 25 psi handles water just great. On the front I run Federal Formoza AZ01 in the stock size

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I agree about the Federal Formoza AZ01 tires. They're GREAT.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info on the Tyre choices, that's very handy to know and gives me hope. It's coming close to the point where I can enjoy seeing the Kenda's tossed to the rubbish heap where best they lie.

I agree it doesn't take much, but also that doesn't mean we have to accept that the way it is is the way it has to be. The RT seemed less nervous when it encountered water on the road after the adjustments mentioned, and like some described, it can be from small wheel tracks and imperfections in the road containing very little water.

Thanks to those who suggest slowing down - I'll either ride at 15km/hr everywhere I go just in case I encounter it or I'll take someone with me to walk in front and flag the excess water laying on the road .

Again it comes down to having margins for when you encounter these situations. Example: You are on you GL/FJ/Fireblade on a sunny day enjoying a ride on a country road. You round a corner and spot water/dirt/gravel across the road. You can:
    - ride all day at 30km/hr just in case you encounter it.
    - plow into it and hope for the best,
    - or you can slide off the side of the bike getting it more vertical giving a better chance to cope with the hazard.
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

quadrac 5's are designed for rain & light snow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    quadrac 5's are designed for rain & light snow
    ……… It has the best ratings for the sizes of tires we can actually use …. I know there are better tires,( but not by much )- unfortunately they won't fit the Spyder ….. Mike