Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default For Blueknight911 - Vredestein for rear tire 2016 RTL

Mike, I'm about ready to try the Vredestein for my back tire. Question-is the Quatrac 5 a sticky tire? Or is it just a good tire? I need a sticky tire and that is why I have been using the Yokohama S Drive. Also, which size should I choose in the Quatrac? How about the Sportrac? And what should the psi on these two tires be? Most of my riding is done in the warmer temps (I don't do much riding in the actual winter months).

Thanks for your reply-I can always count on you to give me the true information.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2021 at 08:49 PM.
    2016 RTL , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Not Mike,

But I just went from the S-drive to the Quatrac 5 in the 205/60R 15 size and I think it's as sticky as the S-drive. One thing I did notice is that the ride is softer then the S-drive. Not sure if that due to the 60 viruses the 55 ratio, but I do like it better. This is on my F3s.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default My 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Chiisai View Post
    Mike, I'm about ready to try the Vredestein for my back tire. Question-is the Quatrac 5 a sticky tire? Or is it just a good tire? I need a sticky tire and that is why I have been using the Yokohama S Drive. Also, which size should I choose in the Quatrac? How about the Sportrac? And what should the psi on these two tires be? Most of my riding is done in the warmer temps (I don't do much riding in the actual winter months).

Thanks for your reply-I can always count on you to give me the true information.
    Also, not Mike here...
    I have put on approx 3k miles on my quatrac ( I have them on all 3).
    They are far superior to Kenda and ride soft and smooth butttt, I wouldn’t call them sticky as the rear has slid out a couple times in wet conditions. The Sportrac is higher rated in the rain but you may have a tough time getting them in the US. I wish I could tell you they were super sticky but I can’t. Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2021 at 08:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Not Mike,

But I just went from the S-drive to the Quatrac 5 in the 205/60R 15 size and I think it's as sticky as the S-drive. One thing I did notice is that the ride is softer then the S-drive. Not sure if that due to the 60 viruses the 55 ratio, but I do like it better. This is on my F3s.
    Wow, that is very interesting. I really can't wait to try this tire. I have an appointment on the 9th of July to have my S Drive changed out. What psi are you running on that Quatrac?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2021 at 08:48 PM.
    2016 RTL , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmal View Post
    Also, not Mike here...
    I have put on approx 3k miles on my quatrac ( I have them on all 3).
    They are far superior to Kenda and ride soft and smooth butttt, I wouldn’t call them sticky as the rear has slid out a couple times in wet conditions. The Sportrac is higher rated in the rain but you may have a tough time getting them in the US. I wish I could tell you they were super sticky but I can’t. Hope this helps...
    I really need a tire that handles well in wet conditions. Here in SE Missouri it has rained almost every day for the last 3 months. What is the average mileage on these Vredestein ?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2021 at 08:48 PM.
    2016 RTL , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

with the other posters who are ACTUAL users of the Quatrac 5 …… According to the TIRE RACK testers, the " S " drive is far below the Quatrac 5 in the FOUR main reasons for buying/using any tire, ie. Wet -Dry - Comfort - Treadwear ….. Are there Better tires , Absolutely, however if they don't make those tires in sizes to fit our Spyder's it doesn't matter how Great they are...……. As far as what PSI works best, well the following PSI's I use are F= 16 , R= 17. …. and this applies to All Car tires used on Spyders…… IMHO the " PERFECT " psi isn't attainable by the average owner. WE don't have the equipment, or funds necessary to achieve that..... So trying to or wishing it so , isn't realistic. … I base my recommendations on Science and what is reasonably attainable …….. The absolutely STICKIEST tire that I know off is/was the Toyo Proxes T 1r, but availability in our sizes ( in the U.S. ) aren't available from any seller that I know of ...…. Hope this helps you out ………..Mike

Spyder Garage

Wow, that is very interesting. I really can't wait to try this tire. I have an appointment on the 9th of July to have my S Drive changed out. What psi are you running on that Quatrac?
    I am running them at 16# front and 18# rear. I also have them on all three. I have driven in some very heavy rain and found them to handle as well (better than most) as any tire that I have tried. Are they hydro plane proof- NO, but no tire is.

Once my wife's 2018 F3l needs tires (only 4,000 miles on it) these are the tires I will be putting on!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-20-2021 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am watching this with interest as a replacement for my Kendas(fr) and Arachnid (rr)

I would like tyres for my RTL that don't aquaplane so easily.

This week on the East Coast of Australia we've had good rain, not heavy just constant. I took a 700km round trip and had the rear end try to overtake the front a few times. After the first two I actually started experimenting to see how little a "line" of water laying in a wheel track it would take to cause it to aquaplane. It doesn't take much.

Some may not see this as amusing, but the 1st episode happened with a Dual Cab Toyota Hilux so close to my tail lights he could have change the bulb for me. The RT stepped the tail to the right for a good 20-25m (20-25 yds). Yes it was putting the wind up me but Mr Hilux got one hell of a fright and stayed w a y back after it.
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

What sizes - front and rear - for 2014 RTS? Noticed mine needs a rear tire, and the fronts are close enough to do all at once. Also, anyone know of a good shop close to Columbia SC? If needed, I can remove them and haul them in the truck.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

I rode them in heavy rain during my tour in early June and they stuck well... didn't feel them slip or slide on me. I'm running them at Mike's recommended PSI and have really enjoyed the improvement over the stock tires that were on my RS. I bought an RS with 5k on the stock tires... but it is a 2010... so didn't trust them at 9 years old (or more). After all the complaints about the Kenda's... was happy to be rid of them. I have to say, amazed at the change in the bike from the tires alone.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    What sizes - front and rear - for 2014 RTS? Noticed mine needs a rear tire, and the fronts are close enough to do all at once. Also, anyone know of a good shop close to Columbia SC? If needed, I can remove them and haul them in the truck.
    If you are asking about using the Vredestein Quatrac 5 …. folks here have put 175/55-15 on the front and 205/60-15 on the rear … Try and but them at the Tire Rack.co … or Simple tire … or Vulcan tire ….these folks sell them on-line …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    I am watching this with interest as a replacement for my Kendas(fr) and Arachnid (rr)

I would like tyres for my RTL that don't aquaplane so easily.

This week on the East Coast of Australia we've had good rain, not heavy just constant. I took a 700km round trip and had the rear end try to overtake the front a few times. After the first two I actually started experimenting to see how little a "line" of water laying in a wheel track it would take to cause it to aquaplane. It doesn't take much.

Some may not see this as amusing, but the 1st episode happened with a Dual Cab Toyota Hilux so close to my tail lights he could have change the bulb for me. The RT stepped the tail to the right for a good 20-25m (20-25 yds). Yes it was putting the wind up me but Mr Hilux got one hell of a fright and stayed w a y back after it.
    Folks in your part of the world have said they can't get the Vredestein's ….. another choice for you is the General Altimax RT 43 ( T-rated model ) or Michelin Primacy ….. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

If you change tires, I have found that one of the first questions to ask is, do you have the correct size spindle to balance the tires. I had a shop replace a set of front tires. It was several months later when I asked they be rebalanced. OH he said, we don't have that spindle so we just put them on. I searched and found a Firestone shop that did, but I would never ever put a Firestone on my bike. My local dealer who is now out of the Spyder business and has closed their shop (no BUDS access) charged me $80 to put a fender back on that I had removed to put a wrap on. And over $200 to replace the rear tire. Dealership, as "I" see it, are not nice people. Just money hungry at all cost.

Spyder Garage

I have also adjusted down to 16 front and 18 rear and that seems to be the safest sweet spot. After over 3k miles they still look brand new! I live in wet, sunny South Florida.
    Sticky tires are important! I don't know of a tire that sticks better but the Vredestein Sportrac is better rated in the rain! I don't know if you will be able to locate any and they are NOT an all weather tire.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-20-2021 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

... Question-is the Quatrac 5 a sticky tire? Or is it just a good tire? I need a sticky tire ....
    Define 'sticky'. Do you mean dry grip or wet grip or both?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderlass View Post
    Define 'sticky'. Do you mean dry grip or wet grip or both?

Sticky as in hugging the pavement going around curves, which would be dry grip. The stickiness is usually a softer rubber, but I am looking forward to testing the Vredestein tire out for not only how sticky it is in the curves, but also the water displacement during and after rain.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2021 at 08:47 PM.
    2016 RTL , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Sticky as in hugging the pavement going around curves, which would be dry grip. The stickiness is usually a softer rubber, but I am looking forward to testing the Vredestein tire out for not only how sticky it is in the curves, but also the water displacement during and after rain.
    Ah, well you may be disappointed, the Vredestein tyre is an 'All weather' tyre and as such is a compromise tyre primarily designed for countries of moderate climate where it's possible to have satisfactory results because the extremes of the weather are not great. It is a tyre capable of functioning as a snow tyre but also functioning as a summer weather tyre. Because these two extremes are so different, the compromises necessary in the design and function of the tyre limit its effectiveness at both extremes. It is simply not possible to have the best of both worlds and that is why summer tyres and winter tyres still exist - they're both better at their job than the compromise 'All weather' tyre design.

I run these tyres on my vehicles because, living in Scotland, we don't normally experience the extremes of temperature so an 'All weather' tyre is acceptable but I have to say that for the majority of UK drivers this is not the case and they run summer tyres all year around to have the benefits in handling and grip that the summer tyre provides.

So, to answer your question, no, an all weather tyre could not be considered a 'sticky' tyre for dry road use. Though it can be a very satisfactory tyre, nevertheless.

With regard to wet conditions, one has to separate wet grip and aquaplaning resistance, these two requirements are entirely different and require different characteristics of the tyre. It's a complex area and beyond a simple discussion here but a few basic principles can be mentioned.
    For wet road grip the tyre needs to be capable of some water displacement and also capable of mopping up the remaining water so that the tyre rubber is in good contact with the asphalt surface; secondly, the rubber compound needs to be capable of griping a damp surface. Generlly, 'All weather' tyres are quite good at this so are a fair choice for the driver/rider who often encounters these conditions.

However, aquaplaning resistance requires that the tyre is so capable of displacing water that it resists the tendency to roll up the wedge of water formed under its leading face when rolling. To achieve this it must have wide grooves, the grooves must be arranged so as not to impede the water flow and, if possible the tread blocks are to act as water pumps as they are loaded and pressed against the road surface. Since at the onset of aquaplaning the tyre is leaving the road surface and riding up on top of the water, it stands to reason that the rubber compound is less important.
    As a wee note, if a tyre tread has lots of large spaces it will have less rubber on the road surface, also it will be more difficult to arrange that its tread blocks support each other. These limitations can compromise performance and tyre life.

Plainly the whole picture is much more complex than this short note here but it is an outline and one can use the information as a guide when assessing the suitability of a particular tyre for one's own requirements.

I'll post 3 pictures of tyre treads, you can have a look and see which you consider to have certain characteristics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-20-2021 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderlass View Post
    Ah, well you may be disappointed, the Vredestein tyre is an 'All weather' tyre and as such is a compromise tyre primarily designed for countries of moderate climate where it's possible to have satisfactory results because the extremes of the weather are not great. It is a tyre capable of functioning as a snow tyre but also functioning as a summer weather tyre. Because these two extremes are so different, the compromises necessary in the design and function of the tyre limit its effectiveness at both extremes. It is simply not possible to have the best of both worlds and that is why summer tyres and winter tyres still exist - they're both better at their job than the compromise 'All weather' tyre design.

I run these tyres on my vehicles because, living in Scotland, we don't normally experience the extremes of temperature so an 'All weather' tyre is acceptable but I have to say that for the majority of UK drivers this is not the case and they run summer tyres all year around to have the benefits in handling and grip that the summer tyre provides.

So, to answer your question, no, an all weather tyre could not be considered a 'sticky' tyre for dry road use. Though it can be a very satisfactory tyre, nevertheless.
    Plainly the whole picture is much more complex than this short note here but it is an outline and one can use the information as a guide when assessing the suitability of a particular tyre for one's own requirements.

I'll post 3 pictures of tyre treads, you can have a look and see which you consider to have certain characteristics.
    Well put Spyderlass, and you've described the situations I have to consider. Here in Australia I can encounter :
    45 Degrees Celsius days down to -5 Degrees C
    Greasy roads covered in moisture from fog to tropical downpours.

I've been looking at the tread patterns and compounds of the various aftermarket rubber that fits my RTL front and rear and trying to find something that suits. Perish the thought on a MC forum, but I am trying to find something similar to the Yokohama Advans on my Lexus. They are a very wide low profile tyre (factory std) rarely aquaplane and stick like the proverbial to a blanket ( for the non Aussies stick like poo to a blanket). They however don't last long but I love the fact that in day to day driving they do well, you can encounter something that may bring others unstuck (like travelling a country road and you think its just a different shade of blue metal gravel used to tar the road and find its actually quite wet) Its this good compromise I am after. I applied the same philosophy on two two wheelers, always went for quality wet weather grip over longevity.

I haven't found anything the Kendas do well except bounce in the "waste tyre bin" when tossed in at the dealership, or cut up to make baby swan ornaments for the front garden.

I saw the Pirelli Cinturato Winter tyre in 165/65 R15 and wondered what it would be like in AU, looks like its a EU/UK only.

Your 3 left to right
    1. Wet tyre?
    2. Looks like a snow tyre ?
    3. Ideal for wheelbarrows (looks like a Kenda)
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Has anyone tried the Federal Formoza FD2 Performance Radial Tire - 205/60R15 91V? It has a UTQG 420 Temperature A and Traction A rating. I have not ... yet. But this tire interests me because it is symmetrical and is a directional tire. I still have the original Kenda tire on the rear and will be watching these posts until replacement time rolls around.

Federal_Tire.jpg
    Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    2015 Circuit Yellow Spyder RT Limited
    2010 Velocity Yellow Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired
    NRA Instructor & N.C. CCW Instructor
    Never mind Area51. Worry about the other 50, or more!
    2015 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I'm still looking at what I want to replace with. Of the dealers mentioned, only Vulcan had both sizes of Vredestein available.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    with the other posters who are ACTUAL users of the Quatrac 5 …… According to the TIRE RACK testers, the " S " drive is far below the Quatrac 5 in the FOUR main reasons for buying/using any tire, ie. Wet -Dry - Comfort - Treadwear ….. ………..Mike
    You cannot compare ratings for a speed rated summer performance tire against an all weather station wagon tire. IE a summer performance tire with a traction rating of B will still have more straight line grip than an A rated all weather passenger car or SUV tire. You can only compare Tire Rack ratings within the same performance category.

From personal experience I can tell you the Quatrac 5 does not have the straight line grip that the S-Drive does. Not even close. I have a customer with them, off the line launch he just spins easily. I have also ridden his bike and can confirm the traction just is not there. Even more so when the two are warmed prior to launch.

Like the Generals, the Quatrac may last longer, but its not as sticky. I would not have one on my F3. Might be a good choice for an RT or F3L though. Different tires are better at different things.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I've got an Arachnid 350, 225/50R15 on the back. What does everyone recommend for tire pressure for this tire?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    I've got an Arachnid 350, 225/50R15 on the back. What does everyone recommend for tire pressure for this tire?
    Zero. That is the pressure in that tire when you break the bead to remove it. Absolute junk. Arachnid are likely the only tires on the planet WORSE than the Kenda.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    I personally don’t agree with your choice, and I say this from personal experience, but to answer your question....same pressures as recommended for the OEM Kenda. I ran at 30#.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    I personally don’t agree with your choice, and I say this from personal experience, but to answer your question....same pressures as recommended for the OEM Kenda. I ran at 30#.
    Didn't have a choice on the tire. It was on the Spyder when I bought it. My choice would have been a Kumho.