Spyder Garage

Default Observations and questions about riding style

Took my 2008 GS out for a ride on Sunday. Had to clear my head, 7th anniversary of a former co-worker succumbing to cancer related to his work down in lower Manhattan after September 11th.
    I saw numerous motorcyclists riding in such a manner that I was preparing to see a tragedy unfold before my eyes. In NY/NJ lane splitting is not allowed, nor did I practice that while I was riding two wheels prior to my accident in 2001, let alone at speeds reaching 70+. Nor did I ever consider using the shoulder of a roadway, to pass slower moving vehicles approaching a rotary/traffic circle.
    Prior to owning a Spyder, and for those of you where this applies, when operating a motorcycle did you do so in the same manner that you do when operating a Spyder, or, are you forced to ride in a manner closer to that of a car due to the wheel base width..no more lane splitting, etc.?
    Had a great ride nonetheless, remembering my friend, the fun times we had, and the time spent with another acquaintance who sadly also lost his fight to cancer from working down there...
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

There are many carefree and IMO, dumb riders out there.

I try to ride safely all the time...but that is just me. Others are going to do what they want to do.

My thing has always been to anticipate that everyone is going to do something stupid when they come into your space. Anticipation of that has saved me from an accident many, many times.

I would not let the actions of others deter me from enjoying my spyders or mc. Enjoy, but be alert at all times.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Back in the day, I did occasionally ride Stupid fast ….. However I didn't ride Stupid ….. No lane splitting, no out of lane operation ….. Mike

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Live to Ride, Ride to Live. Ride to unwind, Ride to remember them, Ride with respect, Ride with the wind in your face for them as they would like too have done. And when its time to turn the lights out at the end of the day sleep well so we can remember them again.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Never lived in a state where lane-splitting was legal - so I've never tried it. What I do like about the Spyders is that they take up the whole of the lane. On a two wheeler, some cagers will tend to creep into your lane when passing. This is why I prefer to have mucho tarmac between me and any automobile. I just don't trust them not to do something stupid.

Spyder Garage

Ride like everyone is trying to kill you, on purpose. This is not true, of course. But it will help you avoid mistakes made by others. When you ride a motorcycle (2 or 3 wheels). You pay for your mistakes and you also pay for the mistakes of others.

After 33 years in the fire service, I discovered that getting hurt (or worse) by accident, has identical results as if it were done on purpose. Hence my mindset when I ride.

When you give the other guy the benefit of the doubt, you put your life in their hands. They can look right at you (in your mind) and pull out in front of you. When first responders arrive, they will get the same story every time. 'I never saw them.'

I've done some dangerous riding (which I do not advocate). But it didn't include trusting the other guy, like lane splitting. I've seen people cut over or open a door when they see a lane splitter coming.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-24-2019 at 07:37 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Andy I understand that everyone needs to clear there head. Like you the best thing we have is our Spyder to temporarily ease our sad times. Only thought I have is to relax but stay focused on the road ahead. We have many good years ahead of us. Why take the chance and cut life short just to get in front of someone due to the lack of patience.

Spyder Garage

I was taught to ride like you are invisible to ever body else on the road so you have a better chance to ride another day.
    2018 F3s, 2016 versys 650LT, 2001 concours 1000

Spyder Garage

Hi ROB,

Re: Why take the chance . . .

I'm with you. In Oregon, we are beginning to see lane splitting as it is ( currently ) not illegal here.

About five years ago, southbound on I-5, rush hour, going south thru Sacramento, I was surprised to see a cop on a 2-wheeler passing me on my right, lane splitting. I was in the #1 lane going about 10 MPH.

Back in the 50's, my brother was a Bike Boy in downtown Portland; they delivered documents, packages, etc on bicycles. He was flying down a street, splitting lanes when a guy opened his car door. Needless to say, my brother ended up in the front seat with him; and no serious injuries.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

oh boy...first off this Ron agrees with BajaRon and I ride as though everyone on the road is out to kill me.
    I have an exit plan, ditch, off ramp, center divider, etc, for any situation. I have been down on the pavement
    a couple times on two wheels. Both times about a block away from home.
    I lived in Calilfornia for 20 years, my "formative" years? Where lane splitting is legal, and by virtue of traffic density, encouraged.
    This almost got my father and I killed at an intersection in the city of Orange, by a couple girls running a red light.
    I no longer have a clock on where I need to be and when. Also, I think as the brain grows, the nerve recedes.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Default Here my take ...

For one I'm glad you got this ryde in and sure you will again in their memories. Lane splitting is allowed here and they do it a lot. Thing is regardless of your pipes and lights you are not heard till your passing the vehicle and your not that visable either. During my two wheeling days I would lane split only in stopped or slow traffic does not work with a spyder. I am a firm believer in trust no one out there....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Darwin awards contestants keep trying till they WIN! There is no second place
    IMG_8597.jpg

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ROB K View Post
    ...Why take the chance and cut life short just to get in front of someone due to the lack of patience.
    Don't Lose Your Head

To Save A Minute

You Need Your Head

Your Brains Are In It

--- BurmaShave
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl