Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 vs 2015... RSS

Hi guys,

I am planning to add a Spyder RS-S to my garage and right now I am looking at 2 models from different years.
    I don't know much about the RSS... are there any huge differences between these 2 years?

Both are very low millage (5-6k km), one is 2012 and the other one is 2015.
    The 2012 sells for around 11k and the 2015 for 14k...
    Is the price difference worth it? Or are there any major improvements in mechanics for 2015, compared with the 2012?

Thanks!

- - - - - - - - - - - -

UPDATE: purchased a 2015 RS-S
    Adding this since people might not read the entire thread and miss the second page where I posted the purchased trike.

Spyder Garage

Keep in mind that the 998 V twin engine has been discontinued. The price might be on the high side for both....but I am guessing you are talking Canadian funds here. Mechanically, there were no changes in the line. The newer one is the same as the older one, except for colors offered.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Keep in mind that the 998 V twin engine has been discontinued. The price might be on the high side for both....but I am guessing you are talking Canadian funds here. Mechanically, there were no changes in the line. The newer one is the same as the older one, except for colors offered.
    Thanks for this - I was not aware that the 998 V twin was discontinued.

Yes, these are CAD prices, not US.
    Even so, I think the prices are on the high side as well, now that I know the engine is discontinued. Maybe is a good bargaining chip.

Thanks again!

P.S. - How reliable are these engines though? I can do the maintenance work, pretty good with a wrench if I have to.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 15 has larger front rims than the 12 and also has throttle by wire where as the 12 has a cable in the throttle. The 15 also has the updated air ducts in the bodywork They are basically the same bike with some small differences. Both known to be very reliable.

Spyder Garage

Default Minor.....

There are minor differences as stated. Wheel size, exhaust went to the RT type and the 2012 was the last of the 106hp motors. I have the 2012 RS and for the last 43,000 miles has performed remarkably well. As to which to get is up to you and would be the one that is in the best condition. Price is what your willing to pay for what you want cause regardless someone will make you feel cheated. Granted you can get a brand new Ryker for that money but it is no RSS for sure.... Don't let the fact they dropped the RS from the line up bother you....3/4 of the drivers in the world are driving and buying vehicles no longer made.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    The 15 has larger front rims than the 12 and also has throttle by wire where as the 12 has a cable in the throttle. The 15 also has the updated air ducts in the bodywork They are basically the same bike with some small differences. Both known to be very reliable.
    Thanks - those are not something that I would hang on too much.
    I guess my main concern is if there was any issues with the 2012 production line that was solved later on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    There are minor differences as stated. Wheel size, exhaust went to the RT type and the 2012 was the last of the 106hp motors. I have the 2012 RS and for the last 43,000 miles has performed remarkably well. As to which to get is up to you and would be the one that is in the best condition. Price is what your willing to pay for what you want cause regardless someone will make you feel cheated. Granted you can get a brand new Ryker for that money but it is no RSS for sure.... Don't let the fact they dropped the RS from the line up bother you....3/4 of the drivers in the world are driving and buying vehicles no longer made.....
    The fact that is discontinued is not something that bothers me. I was more concerned with any mechanical issues.
    I might go for the 2012 then... I might get a better deal out of it - and this one comes with manual .

The 2015 is nicer looking and all... but at that price I might as well get the Ryker as you say. :/ So unless there is a good deal, probably I will pass.

Thanks a lot guys - it helped me steer in the right direction for me (at this time at least)!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrNewt View Post
    The fact that is discontinued is not something that bothers me. I was more concern with any mechanical issues.
    I might go for the 2012 then... I might get a better deal out of it - and this one comes with manual .

The 2015 is nicer looking and all... but at that price I might as well get the Ryker as you say. :/ So unless there is a good deal, probably I will pass.

Thanks a lot guys - it helped me steer in the right direction for me (at this time at least)!
    I love my manual and it is also something that is disappearing. I know it is not for all but you can get so much more out of your ryde with it. Sounds like your my kind of ryder, good luck and I hope you find the right spyder.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I love my manual and it is also something that is disappearing. I know it is not for all but you can get so much more out of your ryde with it. Sounds like your my kind of ryder, good luck and I hope you find the right spyder.
    Thank you!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for this - I was not aware that the 998 V twin was discontinued.

Yes, these are CAD prices, not US.
    Even so, I think the prices are on the high side as well, now that I know the engine is discontinued. Maybe is a good bargaining chip.

Thanks again!

P.S. - How reliable are these engines though? I can do the maintenance work, pretty good with a wrench if I have to.
    Reliability on the 998 twin is very good. Many RS models have achieved 100K miles and are still running.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Reliability on the 998 twin is very good. Many RS models have achieved 100K miles and are still running.
    That is very encouraging to know - thanks!

Spyder Garage

Brembos and different suspension geometry on the 2013+ models?
    When did the improved cooling/venting first come into effect? I noticed the reference to 2015 above but was that the first/only year?
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

There are two series of RS. Though these look the same there are quite a few differences.

Series 1: 2008 to 2012
    Series 2: 2013 to 2016

Though the basic engine config is the same they do have different engine model numbers and the tune is very different. The Series 1 have a very rev happy engine with the max torque and power being high up in the rev range. These ones love high revs but as a result are probably the thirstiest for petrol of the entire Spyder range. However they also had the fastest 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds. With the series 2 everything was moved lower in the rev range and the fuel economy was improved. There was little loss of hp (106 to 100) and speed but its not really noticeable e.g. 4.6 seconds 0-60. Fly-by-wire throttle on the series 2.

The Series 1 had a big integrated exhaust and catalytic converter. So if you replaced the exhaust with an after market one then you also got rid of the cat. For the Series 2 the cat was separate and positioned under the engine. This meant the exhaust could also be smaller.

There was a heat issue for some early owners of the series 2 caused by the change in engine tuning and exhaust. This was fixed by an update to the engine tune mapping, from 2014 vents were also added to the bodywork.

Series 2 have Brembo brakes though the brakes on the series 1 are very good as well.

The front end of the frame was changed for the Series 2 including making the suspension mounting point higher which is supposed to help with handling, I believe different front suspension was also used but not sure. bigger front wheels (to accommodate the Brembo brakes) and so different tires a guards.

Personally I'd go for a 2012 as a like the revy nature of the earlier models, though that's why I also have an auxiliary gas tank on my 2011 as gas stations can bee a bit far apart around here:-)

Spyder Garage

I agree with PistonBlown! I have two 998cc RS's and love the higher rev. The only thing to watch for is keep an eye on the oil level. It loves to sputter up into the airbox - if you haven't done the mod described on this board elsewhere. Just because it is discontinued I don't let that bother me. All the parts available, plus many sensors that like to fail are common to the 1330cc. Just keep an eye on all the usual things, like redness on the front sprocket (indicating failure is imminent), the gearbox position sensor likes to fail. I put on BajaRons iridium plug & wire kit on both of mine, runs far better. Also keep some silicon tubing to replace the tubing to the MAPS sensor on left side, they like to crack and cause rough running. First thing I did was strip the bikes down and install the plugs, tubing, and front sprocket bolts (checking the sprocket). THe wear usually is on the inside. Bolts are $10 from cheapcycleparts.com, I always have a spare handy. Plus a set of brake pads from LaMonster. I also completely flushed out the brake fluid - act like you are bleeding put pump out and replace the fluid until it is clear. This will help prevent problems. About a days work - but hey I LOVE tinkering!! Here is a link to the service manual.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ay..._NqlpJk8csnwrF

Spyder Garage

A lot of great information that I was not aware until now.
    Thank you guys!

The dealer where I am trying to get the 2012 is a litte far from me for a daily trip, but I've left messages and hopefully they will get back to me soon.
    For now, I have decided to go for the 2012, unless its sold already or dealer ignores me.

We will see .

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    There are two series of RS. Though these look the same there are quite a few differences.

Series 1: 2008 to 2012
    Series 2: 2013 to 2016

Though the basic engine config is the same they do have different engine model numbers and the tune is very different. The Series 1 have a very rev happy engine with the max torque and power being high up in the rev range. These ones love high revs but as a result are probably the thirstiest for petrol of the entire Spyder range. However they also had the fastest 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds. With the series 2 everything was moved lower in the rev range and the fuel economy was improved. There was little loss of hp (106 to 100) and speed but its not really noticeable e.g. 4.6 seconds 0-60. Fly-by-wire throttle on the series 2.

The Series 1 had a big integrated exhaust and catalytic converter. So if you replaced the exhaust with an after market one then you also got rid of the cat. For the Series 2 the cat was separate and positioned under the engine. This meant the exhaust could also be smaller.

There was a heat issue for some early owners of the series 2 caused by the change in engine tuning and exhaust. This was fixed by an update to the engine tune mapping, from 2014 vents were also added to the bodywork.

Series 2 have Brembo brakes though the brakes on the series 1 are very good as well.

The front end of the frame was changed for the Series 2 including making the suspension mounting point higher which is supposed to help with handling, I believe different front suspension was also used but not sure. bigger front wheels (to accommodate the Brembo brakes) and so different tires a guards.

Personally I'd go for a 2012 as a like the revy nature of the earlier models, though that's why I also have an auxiliary gas tank on my 2011 as gas stations can bee a bit far apart around here:-)
    I had a 2012 RSS, and I loved it. But I wouldn't hesitate to go with either the earlier or later one. But, for me, I would go for the later (2013 or later) for one reason that no one mentioned. The 2013 and later has cruise control in the RSS model, and the handle bars are different. They can be changed out for either the ST or even RT versions for a more upright riding position. I have a F3T and love it, but I plan to add another RSS to my stable one day.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Well, that door was shut for me... the 2012 was sold out... .
    Going tomorrow to see the other one (hopefully will still be available - got an answer back saying it is... for now).

Spyder Garage

One last questions if you don't mind guys... mechanically, is there a difference between RS SE and RSS models (colors not important)?

Or is there a list that compares the models?
    Tried to find something online, but either I can't read or I can't find.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The RSS had different color options, cruise control, stiffer swaybar and fox shocks up front. Also some stitching on the seat and RSS decals. Mostly fluff stuff really. Mechanically they are the same bike. In my opinion if you bought an RS and added the Fox shock and swaybar kit you then had an RSS......that's what I did....cheaper than buying an RSS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    The RSS had different color options, cruise control, stiffer swaybar and fox shocks up front. Also some stitching on the seat and RSS decals. Mostly fluff stuff really. Mechanically they are the same bike. In my opinion if you bought an RS and added the Fox shock and swaybar kit you then had an RSS......that's what I did....cheaper than buying an RSS
    LOL - then this might persuade made to go for the cheaper versions... a plain canvas is better I guess.
    Thank you for this info! It opened my doors a little more.

I went to see the other RSS but the sale person was soooo.... "stiff"!?
    Had the "what do you want attitude"... and when we put everything on paper price jumped to 16k... no idea how and what fees, but whatever; pretty much said no.
    So back to looking now.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know you are in Canada but.................. Quick search on Cycle trader shows plenty of RS and RSS for sale in the USA. Found a brand new 2011 with full warranty for sale. https://www.budkepowersports.com/inventory/-1856138i I'd offer less than what they are asking but still brand new, full warranty and probably eligible for an additional 3 yrs of best warranty.

Spyder Garage

That's actually expensive compared with what I can find here... All the prices I posted here are in CAD.
    I was just looking on Facebook market and found a nice 2012 Can-Am Spyder RS SE listed for 9900k CAD - guy is willing to let it go for $9300K CAD.
    Might go over the weekend and have a look at it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RS SE5 and a new Ryker. The RS is not for sale but if I were going to sell it I'd probably list it for $8K USD and then negotiate from there. So, your $9300 CAD is good pricing.

Spyder Garage

That's actually expensive compared with what I can find here... All the prices I posted here are in CAD.
    I was just looking on Facebook market and found a nice 2012 Can-Am Spyder RS SE listed for 9900k CAD - guy is willing to let it go for $9300K CAD.
    Might go over the weekend and have a look at it.

Mr. Newt,

If you look in the for sale section I have a nice 2014 RS-M with 57K miles well set up for long distance touring which I have priced @ $7900.00 OBO. Give it a look. Perhaps we can do a deal.

Al In Kalamazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post

Mr. Newt,

If you look in the for sale section I have a nice 2014 RS-M with 57K miles well set up for long distance touring which I have priced @ $7900.00 OBO. Give it a look. Perhaps we can do a deal.

Al In Kalamazoo
    Unfortunately, you are in US and I am in Canada .
    Customs and taxes to bring a trike from there will kill me... badly .
    But thank you for trying to help me out!