Spyder Garage

Default Tri Axis handle bars and vibration dampner input request

I got my 2018 RTL last August and I now have 7000 miles on it. I just finished a 3300 mile trip and spent a lot of time in the mountains. The spyder handled the curves very good but I have to say at end of the day I was beat. The spyder is a lot more physically demanding then my harley was. I am now ready to spend some money on updates.
    Question 1, would Tri Axis handle bars reduce the effort required when in curves. If not any suggestions?
    Question 2, I get vibration at certain speeds and loads. I have adjusted the belt tension but still get the vibrations. I am considering a vibration dampner but I am a little concerned about putting something on the belt. Has anyone had any issues with dampners?
    Thanks for your 2 cents.

Spyder Garage

I have both of the items on my 2018 RTL, so I will comment, but maybe not sufficiently to completely answer the questions.
    1. Tri-Axis bars adjust the hand grips where you want them. They do not reduce the effort to turn the bike, but may put your hands in a position to have more leverage/power to turn the bike. Kind of a your mileage may vary thing. Know someone who has some installed near you? Go try them out. Most owners are more than willing to help. I installed mine so I wouldn't have to reach for the bars due to neck damage, and set at all the way back and all the way up I can ride without rolling my shoulders forward.
    2. The belt vibration dampener was one of my biggest bang for the buck items. I found exactly one setting where the belt ceased vibrating for all practical purposes, but I haven't been able to duplicate the settings since replacing the rear Kenda with a Vredestein. Slapped Doc Humphreys belt tensioner on there and it pretty much fixed that up. I've had the rear wheel off several more times and the vibration has never returned at any rear wheel setting, so I'm giving it a thumbs up. Ms. SpyderAnn01 had a failure on her belt roller, which I think wiped out her belt, but it was at the 50,000 mile mark. Due to this, I'm probably going to replace my roller at 25,000 miles or thereabout, because at $36 each the replacement rollers are way cheaper than belts.
    Hope this helps in your quest.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found the Harley way more physically demanding than the Spyder but did improve on the drivers effort.

1:Tire pressure and Car tires
    2:Tri-axis bars help
    3:Sway Bar
    4: Shocks
    5:vibration dampener will help and some have lowered there belt tension.

Spyder Garage

If you haven't done so already, have your bike laser aligned. Being slightly misaligned will cause fatigue in the shoulder/neck area. You may be unknowingly fighting to keep the bike in a straight line. If you cannot ride using just 2 fingers on a reasonably good road, you may have an alignment problem..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

As h0gr1der stated the tri-axis may provide better leverage on turns thus making your ride easier. My reason for the tri-axis resulted from having one arm shorter than the other. I am more than satisfied with the result in making my ride more comfortable. I did not notice if curves and turns were easier as this was not my goal but in thinking about it it may have since I don't have to stretch nor bend forward while riding.
    I installed the vibration damper about 2 yrs ago and the vibrations disappeared. I own a 2014 RTL.

Spyder Garage

I have Tri-Axis bars and love them because I can get my hands and arms in the perfect position for me. I hurt between my shoulder blades with the stock bars. Only you can say if this is an issue for you and if you will be less tired. I more wonder if your suspension is out of alignment and/or if you have stock shocks. I replaced my stock RT shocks with Elkas and the difference is amazing in terms of driving and steering performance and comfort. I've had the shocks for a year now and I like them more and more every day. Just yesterday I was doing twisties 15 to 20 miles faster than before and felt completely in control. My front wheels bounce so much less than before the change to Elkas.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

I agree with all the above statements. My reasons for the tri-axis bars is that they've allowed me to find my best overall riding position. My final adjustment takes into consideration my wrists, elbows, shoulders, and my back while riding. This has made for very comfortable all day rides. Will they change your steering effort? No. As to question 2, I also have the belt vibration dampener and have reduced my belt tension to the newer spec. It makes a world of difference.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gregsi View Post
    I got my 2018 RTL last August and I now have 7000 miles on it. I just finished a 3300 mile trip and spent a lot of time in the mountains. The spyder handled the curves very good but I have to say at end of the day I was beat. The spyder is a lot more physically demanding then my harley was. I am now ready to spend some money on updates.
    Question 1, would Tri Axis handle bars reduce the effort required when in curves. If not any suggestions?
    Question 2, I get vibration at certain speeds and loads. I have adjusted the belt tension but still get the vibrations. I am considering a vibration dampner but I am a little concerned about putting something on the belt. Has anyone had any issues with dampners?
    Thanks for your 2 cents.
    I don't know your age/fitness level or how long time wise it took to cover 3300 miles, but that is certainly some distance. Riding mountain roads + the concentration particularly if there are blind corners is enough to beat up anyone. You didn't mention any physical problems ie. aches/pains so i would fit the vibration dampener first. I was amazed at the reduction in fatigue when i fitted mine. If that's not the cure all, try some of the mentioned suggestions. Good luck...treva.

Spyder Garage

I am 65 and really have no issues. Did the 3300 miles in 10 days. Maybe I am in denial. I did get a lot of good suggestions that I will look into. Thanks all.
    Greg

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am 65 and really have no issues. Did the 3300 miles in 10 days. Maybe I am in denial. I did get a lot of good suggestions that I will look into. Thanks all.
    Greg
    As you experienced already, steering a Spyder is altogether different from two wheels. With a two wheeler every curve has a "sweet spot" where with the right combination of speed, lean, bank of the road, and sharpness of the curve, you can go around the curve with no steering effort whatever. Lean and gyroscopic action of the front wheel are why. You don't have those with a Spyder. Steering a Spyder is a full time job, just like a four wheeler! If your front wheels are properly aligned and balanced, going straight is the only time steering becomes effortless with the Spyder.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I agree with what the other owners of Tri-Axis bars say about being able to get them perfectly fitted to your individual riding style. I also agree that riding in the mountain twisties can be more work but I've found that in addition to leaning into the turn and planting the outside foot firmly on the peg/floorboard pushing on the outside bar as well as pulling on the inside one balances things more for me than just honking in on the inside bar.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

OK based on feed back I went ahead and installed a vibration dampner(Roadster Renovations) and the Baha Ron sway bar. Based on a short ride I think I am going to be happy with the change. For sure the vibration is significantly lower. It seems like the bike turns a lot sharper and solid but I will have to wait until I spend a couple of days in the mountains to really know. Tri Axis handle bars are going to wait for now.
    Again thanks for your feedback.

Spyder Garage

OK based on feed back I went ahead and installed a vibration dampner(Roadster Renovations) and the Baha Ron sway bar. Based on a short ride I think I am going to be happy with the change. For sure the vibration is significantly lower. It seems like the bike turns a lot sharper and solid but I will have to wait until I spend a couple of days in the mountains to really know. Tri Axis handle bars are going to wait for now.
    Again thanks for your feedback.
    Run your front tire pressure at 19~20 PSI, if you are not already. Laser alignment by a qualified person would also be high on my recommendation list.

Riding in the mountains is THE BEST!~
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...