Thread: Bugs!

Spyder Garage

Default Bugs!

Wow. I just washed the RT two weeks ago and today I look in front by the radiator grills and BUGS! Buggedy-bugs everywhere! Hundreds of 'em. Yeech! Disgusting!

Went to Lamonsters and ordered those kott grills, I did! I had saw them before and thought to myself, "naw, that's just got to be for show...."

Learning? It's always the hard way for me...

Spyder Garage

Default Tis the season....

Rain, standing water heat and sun = a lot of Bugs.. extra grills will help but still have to clean them..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I pulled the frunk off my Spyder for the first time at 56K miles and there were so few bugs that had made it to the radiators I was really amazed. All it took to clean them off was a few swipes with a soft toothbrush. The Spyderpops KOTT Grilles were the third of the three farkles from Harvey I put on the bike as soon as I got it home from the dealership. The others, first, bump skid, second, missing belt guard. IMO, there is no better radiator protector than the KOTT Grilles. Some of the competitors products look very attractive and professionally done but I prefer function over form.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

There bad in Maine also, but when you have a white ride, it's like a CSI crime seen after a ride, almost makes ya sick! Wash and wax, wash and wax
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    There bad in Maine also, but when you have a white ride, it's like a CSI crime seen after a ride, almost makes ya sick! Wash and wax, wash and wax
    Mikey,
    I'm with you endless wash and wax maybe I should invest in a steam cleaner but gently using the power washer works well. Also in Durham, time for a ride.
    2018 F3S , Black

Spyder Garage

The KOTT grills really do a great job.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Put hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and soak them bugs with the stuff. They'll be nice 'n soft and chewy and easier to wash off.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Put hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and soak them bugs with the stuff. They'll be nice 'n soft and chewy and easier to wash off.
    That is another great trick. I have been doing that for years. And...it DOES work well.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hot water, just hot water will soften and remove the most impossible bugs
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Will that take the wax off?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I pulled the frunk off my Spyder for the first time at 56K miles and there were so few bugs that had made it to the radiators I was really amazed. All it took to clean them off was a few swipes with a soft toothbrush. The Spyderpops KOTT Grilles were the third of the three farkles from Harvey I put on the bike as soon as I got it home from the dealership. The others, first, bump skid, second, missing belt guard. IMO, there is no better radiator protector than the KOTT Grilles. Some of the competitors products look very attractive and professionally done but I prefer function over form.
    I was telling myself that I'd stay away from farkles this time. I've been there, done that. I don't need yet another cup holder, etc. I'm breaking my own rule this time though. The sheer amount of bugs that got in near the radiators was just way too much - and way deep inside. If the kott grills save me some time digging to get those bugs out - I'll call it a fair deal.

Spyder Garage

SuperG...I hear ya! I'm in the same place, I just want add-ons that are for safety, convenience and longevity of the bike. My last bike was a Victory Cross Roads and I went bonkers blinging and modding it. I don't consider that grille an extravagance, rather it qualifies as contributing to the bike's longevity. Go for it! I'd do the same.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Will that take the wax off?
    any decent wash job will take the wax off. and as far as that goes, if you are waxing a clear coat finish, it's really unnecessary.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Many waxes, polishes and detailers offer UV protection in addition to providing an appearance of greater depth of finish. It doesn't hurt to use them, it helps.

Spyder Garage

Wax is basically sacrificial - it helps to prevent sun damage (oxidation) to the finish, and it does apply to clear coats as well. Here in New Mexico, if you don't wash and wax your car every so often, the sun will eventually burn away your clear coat. You see it on vehicles here all the time - it's very common. I'm partial to Liquid Glass - goes on real easy, you can let it bake in the sun after you put it on (but put it on in the shade), comes off with just a towel, and you're good for 4-5 months. Oh yeah - if you're gonna wax - you might as well do a clay bar cleaning beforehand. It'll really give you a super-clean finish. In between waxings - a little spray finish detailer now and then keeps things healthy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Yep, that works!! I mix Hydrogen Peroxide and water half & half with a few drops of dish soap..... Bugs fizz off!

Spyder Garage

Installed the KOTT grills today. Install went easy enough - and the grills do look quite nice, without being tacky.

Spyder Garage

This thread and inspecting my radiators prompted me to buy the KOTT grilles. I'll clean the radiators before installation of course.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.