Spyder Garage

Default 2020 side bag cable replaced

Received my replacement cable today. P/N 708003379 I had heard rumors that BRP had changed to an ss cable due to the rusting issue. Since the dealer had to order the cable from BRP I know it's the latest version, so I took a magnet to test if it is ss. Its not. I lubed the cable up until it ran out of the other end. I did this twice to be sure.
    Installed it and now the lid opens very easy. Easier than when the Spyder was new. I hope this lasts longer than the one year that the last replacement did. That one was done by a dealer tech so I don't know how he did it.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

There are different grades of stainless steel. Some are magnetic and some are not . The higher carbon content of the SS makes it magnetic. So the cable can be SS and still be magnetic.
    Last edited by Partzman23; 08-10-2022 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Wording
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Partzman23 View Post
    There are different grades of stainless steel. Some are magnetic and some are not . The higher carbon content of the SS makes it magnetic. So the cable can be SS and still be magnetic.
    Which means it can still rust. Look at all the SS grill lids around with surface rust.
    2020 Spyder RTL - Blue
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

I didn't have a new cable so I just took the old one apart, lubricated it and moved it back and forth until all the crud was gone. I don't think they actually lube the cable at the factory. I also made sure the lid linkage was cleaned and lubricated with a dry lubricant as it seemed a bit sticky.
    2020 Spyder RTL - Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

.... When I designing a mirror magnet system for the RT spyders I had to deal with this issue. I decided " galvanized " was the best alternative ...... it worked ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lstayner View Post
    Which means it can still rust. Look at all the SS grill lids around with surface rust.
    Yep. Typically it's the austenitic grades of stainless steel that are non magnetic. People tend to think that stainless steel is rust and corrosion proof, it's not. It is however rust and corrosion resistant to most common things it comes in contact with. There are so many grades of SS that it almost boggles the mind. Many created for very specific uses and not to good for anything else. Many of the cheaper to make SS grades that still qualify as SS are not that resistant to rust, corrosion, pitting or stress crack corrosion.

As far as lubing the cables, have not used or looked for one in years but there was a clamp used for bicycle brake and shift cables that let you force lubricant between the cable and housing till it came out the other end.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I have a cable lubrication tool from Motion Pro. A bit messy, but it gets the job done.
    2020 Spyder RTL - Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lstayner View Post
    I have a cable lubrication tool from Motion Pro. A bit messy, but it gets the job done.
    That's what I used. I just used small spray shots to keep the mess down.

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I know that some grades are, but those grades have a lower attraction than standard steel. My magnet stuck to the cable very strongly. It maybe some type of SS, but it would not be very corrosion resistant.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-11-2022 at 01:37 PM. Reason: crosion - corrosion %-)

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue