Spyder Garage

Default Radio on mute and can not get it on

I have a 2014 RT Limited. I can not get the speakers on. The radio is receiving as I can see the station, the artist and the songs they are singing. The volume indication will go up and down but no sound. The speakers are in the ON position in the Audio section. It is like the radio was muted but will not come off of mute. Anyone had this problem or have any ideas? Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think you have it set on intercom. Go back to the radio screen and set it on external speakers.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply. The external speakers are turned on. I have a headset icon it has three possible settings. I have tried each setting with each setting of the audio icon on, still no sound, all the while the radio station is indicating a artist and song being played.
    Any other ideas?

Spyder Garage

When the "volume down" button is held in for a couple of seconds the radio will mute. To get it to un-mute, you need to push the "volume up" button twice rather quickly..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Thanks but it will not come off mute. You can push it twice quickly - nothing. Slowly the volume indication goes up but no sound.

Spyder Garage

Any recent work on the Spyder that may have disconnected the speakers?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try it a couple more times, these spyders can be a little finickey at times. You have to make your movements very firm and deliberate.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you get the volume to go up and down its something else I would say.

Not sure if it would do it or not but would the Passenger controls affect the drive controls?

If you hook up a MP3 player do you get sound? Thru the trunk connection

Just found this in my manual

AUDIO SYSTEM ENABLING Ignition switch ON Press MODE button for 3 seconds immediately after ignition switch is turned OFF AUDIO SYSTEM DISABLING Ignition switch ON, then OFF Press MODE button for 10 seconds

Not sure what it does or disable the sound only or more?

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies. No service has been done to the spyder for at least 6 months. I have been trying to get the radio to respond for the last 3 weeks without any with firm and deliberate movements. All movements move the volume up and down and holding puts it in the mute mode but it will not respond to sound when the up button is pushed even though the indication increases the volume - no sound.

Spyder Garage

I have connected my ipod and my XM radio to the trunk connection with no results also. The reference to Press the mode button for 3 seconds after the ignition switch is turned off is to listen to the radio in an auxiliary mode. It doesn't work then also.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

MAy have a bad radio..Still have the BEST warranty on the Spyder??

Spyder Garage

The radio is indicating the station and the signal from the station showing the artist and the song that is being played. It would appear that the radio is working but is not sending the sound to the speakers, which as you stated "the radio could be bad"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaspyder View Post
    The radio is indicating the station and the signal from the station showing the artist and the song that is being played. It would appear that the radio is working but is not sending the sound to the speakers, which as you stated "the radio could be bad"
    (headset icon?)Bluetooth connection to divert the output?
    or simple loose connection. The GPS pipes sound through the speakers as well, any sound from that? If your not even getting a crackle means no power to speakers, start there or let the warranty & dealer find it

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Have you tried removing the GPS from the mount and seeing if that makes any difference.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I was thinking, would volume be affected if the treble and bass are set to their lowest settings?. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You could check the connection on the right side under the passenger hand warmer if I remember correctly the location of the main unit. But think there it could be a bad radio that has no output?

Speaker Input Voltage Test 1. Access the correct speaker terminals. Refer to the appropriate speaker removal procedure. 2. Test the speaker with the connectors connected to the speaker with a multimeter set to Vac as per the following chart and illustration. NOTE: The voltage reading at half volume should be pulsing and will vary with the radio station and volume intensity. 24 rmr2014-030

TESTING VAC AT THE SPEAKER TERMINALS SPEAKER INPUT VOLTAGE TEST TEST PROBES NO VOLUME ONE HALF VOLUME Speaker Terminals .000 Vac .300 Vac to 1.3 Vac If the AC voltage test is good at the speaker terminals, replace the speaker. If the AC voltage reading at the speaker is not within specification, replace the radio.

Radio Removal 1. Refer to BODYsubsection and remove the following: – Right middle side panel – Right top side panel – Right rear side panel. 2. Remove right radio control panel and switch assembly. 3. Remove rear panel to access antenna connector. 4. Disconnect antenna connector (behind rear light assembly). rmr2014-030 23

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    You could check the connection on the right side under the passenger hand warmer if I remember correctly the location of the main unit. But think there it could be a bad radio that has no output?

Speaker Input Voltage Test 1. Access the correct speaker terminals. Refer to the appropriate speaker removal procedure. 2. Test the speaker with the connectors connected to the speaker with a multimeter set to Vac as per the following chart and illustration. NOTE: The voltage reading at half volume should be pulsing and will vary with the radio station and volume intensity. 24 rmr2014-030

TESTING VAC AT THE SPEAKER TERMINALS SPEAKER INPUT VOLTAGE TEST TEST PROBES NO VOLUME ONE HALF VOLUME Speaker Terminals .000 Vac .300 Vac to 1.3 Vac If the AC voltage test is good at the speaker terminals, replace the speaker. If the AC voltage reading at the speaker is not within specification, replace the radio.

Radio Removal 1. Refer to BODYsubsection and remove the following: – Right middle side panel – Right top side panel – Right rear side panel. 2. Remove right radio control panel and switch assembly. 3. Remove rear panel to access antenna connector. 4. Disconnect antenna connector (behind rear light assembly). rmr2014-030 23
    Procedure on RT with out removing mirrors??

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the replies. I had not tried removing the GPS. Unfortunately that did not make a difference. I saw the speaker voltage test procedure, but didn't want to disassemble half the bike to find it. That is my next step, I may ride without a radio until we have a rainy day.

Spyder Garage

On my 2017 RTS I had trouble hearing my audio. Went to the audio set-up and discovered I had not set the volume. Bought the Spyder new last January and listened to the radio often. Why it waited until today to turn the audio down I cannot fathom. Set the audio on High and now have loads of volume

Spyder Garage

Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

If the radio is off, you can hear the danger all around. Just sayin'. This is just me, mind you. The day I took my 14 RT home new from the dealership, I turned the radio on while in the garage. Turned it off and it has never been on since. I'm excentric I expect

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaspyder View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The external speakers are turned on. I have a headset icon it has three possible settings. I have tried each setting with each setting of the audio icon on, still no sound, all the while the radio station is indicating a artist and song being played.
    Any other ideas?
    I noticed that you spoke of the headset icon and trying three different settings. Just to clarify, there is a speaker icon above that, you can turn them on and off, or fade them from front to rear. If the front speakers are bad you should be able to fade to the rear and get sound. Make sure the speakers are on with this icon and try fading from front to back.
    Audio.JPG
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue