Spyder Garage

Default Middle assist peg

A bum hip (osteo arthritis) makes getting on and off my F3L agonizing and difficult. Since my rider boards are way forward in position #4, I can't use these boards for mounting. So what I do is place my left foot on the passenger board, toss my leg over the seat and achingly ease my way into the saddle. Not a pretty picture to those observing. Dismounting is equally frustrating.
    Eyeing the fixture (don't know its name) at the aft end of the bar that supports the rider's board, I thought that's an excellent location for a peg that can make it easier for me to mount and dismount. With no modifications to my bike, save for a longer bolt that replaced the original, here it is, thanks to a Harley used parts store. Oh....and a hip replacement is in the works.
    ASSIST PEG 1.jpg
    ASSIST PEG 2.jpg
    Sorry for the upside down pix. They are rightside up in my files. If anyone can rotate them, please do.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

My first mod was the third peg from Lamonster - essential for me to assist as you described. Your recycled part does the same thing only cheaper.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Howdy;

Good job!

Reckon I'm a-plannin' ahead fer me joint job too, lol ...

f3-board.JPG

Best o' luck with ye surgery. I gots a neighbourhood full o' bionic bipeds - sure don't look none too pleasant, aight.

Cheers
    E

Spyder Garage

I spent all of $1.83 on the peg project. The used Harley parts store gave me the peg and adapter because it was old and they only had one. I only wanted one for the left side, so that was OK. At Ace Hardware, the bolt was $1.50 and a tension pin was 33 cents. The satisfaction of working it out myself - priceless.
    Placing the peg in line with the frame cap gives me the exact height I need to be able to throw my right leg over the saddle.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

I UPDATED THE MIDDLE PEG.........
    The original was a trial, a used one off a Sportster. I did not like that it was skinny and that the rubber rotated under foot. I figured a flatter one would be better and a nicer one. Got these on eBay for $36 shipped and they are exactly like the Chinese ones I saw at an H-D dealer priced close to $100. Since they come in pairs, I put one on each side.
    MIDDLE PEG 2.jpg
    MIDDLE PEG 1.jpg

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Assist Peg

Very helpful, and good looking.
    Thanks for your updates.
    Enjoy your Ryde and Always Ryde Safe. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Good Idea That would be good up grade for vertically challenged (Shorter) Riders.

Spyder Garage

Great idea. Gonna put a set of Kuryakyn Trident dually pegs to good use, along with some black mounts. Doing both sides will actually work as an alternate footrest place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I have limited ability to swing my leg over the saddle while on the floorboard. The middle peg gets me high enough to do that easily. It also helps the wife to get on as she finds the passenger board too high. Remember, we ain't teenagers - far from it.

Spyder Garage

Troop where did you get the mount and what size bolt do I need.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

When using those yoke style mounts, you need a longer 10 mm allen head bolt in order to hold the tubes together. The head will need to be ground to a smaller diameter in order to fit into the yoke as the supplied ones do.
    I did not like how far that mount stuck out, so I sawed off some. if you are going to do that, be very careful you cut below where there's a reduced diameter so the bolt will have something to catch on.

Spyder Garage

Just received my ebay (Chinese) black mounts today https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-2-25-...72.m2749.l2649 and they only took 12 days. I did shorten them up by 1/4" each side, and as RICZ mentioned, I did have to grind around my M10 - 1.50 x 50 SS bolt heads to get them to slide in. Only took a couple minutes on the grinder. Gonna order some different pegs tonight, as I wanted to make sure everything went together. Nice thing too is that the middle assist pegs will work nicely as heel rests with my homemade floor boards. Good call

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Just received my ebay (Chinese) black mounts today
    I first looked for these at a local H-D stealer and they were priced right against a C note. Guess where they were made....yup, the disease factory called China and they looked EXACTLY like the eBay units.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Just received my ebay (Chinese) black mounts today https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-2-25-...72.m2749.l2649 and they only took 12 days. I did shorten them up by 1/4" each side, and as RICZ mentioned, I did have to grind around my M10 - 1.50 x 50 SS bolt heads to get them to slide in. Only took a couple minutes on the grinder. Gonna order some different pegs tonight, as I wanted to make sure everything went together. Nice thing too is that the middle assist pegs will work nicely as heel rests with my homemade floor boards. Good call
    What length bolt did you get for that mount?

Spyder Garage

I used bolts that are 50 mm long. The female hole goes all the way through, so no worry about it being too long. But 50 mm used all the female threads.

Spyder Garage

11/6/2019 left hip. 12/23/2019 right hip. Back to work on 2/13/2020. Getting my hips replaced has proved to be one the the best decisions I've ever made. My only regret was waiting so long to just get them done. Riding is more enjoyable and the reason I got the surgeries. BTW I high recommend Can Am Spyder Accessories: Ultimate floor boards.

Spyder Garage

I use the passenger boards to get on to my F3L . I added a backrest and found I can't raise my leg high enough with out bothering my hips soccer I started using the passenger boards to get on and off the bike .

Spyder Garage

Finally got my $20 ebay pegs and got them installed. I went for a different look. Grippy and make nice heel rests for my floorboards

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Troop, thanks for the info I just ordered the same stuff from ebay. I was looking for something at a reasonable price.
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

I finished my third pegs today.

Spyder Garage

Good job JP. I find I need only the left middle peg to assist with mounting and dismounting, so I keep the right one folded up. Getting on the bike was anywhere from awkward to painful before the middle peg.
    I just made another adjustment for comfort. Although the floorboards are tilted upward at the toe, the angle was annoying on longer rides - too low. Long story short, I placed spacers under the boards and at the leading edge of their supports. I found the left side required a 1/2" spacer and the left, 1/4". Yours may differ. The only mod to the boards was to insert a drill bit that just fit into their mounting holes and carve a taper into the lower back sides of the holes to accommodate the bolts at the new angle of the boards. Otherwise, the bolts would bind, if you could even get them started.

Spyder Garage

Good job. Have an RT and use the passenger floorboard to get on, no pain just easier for an old man. Think with a F3 I would have to do the same thing.