Spyder Garage

Default Oil over filled a bit ... I think

I've been checking my oil after a ride and within the specified 2-minutes after engine shut down. It's hard to tell (for me), but I think it is slightly over the full mark. I know, I know ... should never over fill it, but that's the way I got it and I've put under 1k on it since I picked it up and the dealer performed the 3k first service on it the day before I picked it up. (It's a used 2015 RTL with 2,500 Miles) Being a new owner and not being completely familiar with these animals (insects?!?) I figured the dealer knew what they were doing. I figure I can loosen the drain plug to let some out but was not sure about this procedure since I know there are O-rings involved and I don't want to mess anything up. ELSE, I can use a siphon and extract some oil from the dipstick port. Comments?!?

Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    2015 Circuit Yellow Spyder RT Limited
    2010 Velocity Yellow Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired
    NRA Instructor & N.C. CCW Instructor
    Never mind Area51. Worry about the other 50, or more!
    2015 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I've been checking my oil after a ride and within the specified 2-minutes after engine shut down. It's hard to tell (for me), but I think it is slightly over the full mark. I know, I know ... should never over fill it, but that's the way I got it and I've put under 1k on it since I picked it up and the dealer performed the 3k first service on it the day before I picked it up. (It's a used 2015 RTL with 2,500 Miles) Being a new owner and not being completely familiar with these animals (insects?!?) I figured the dealer knew what they were doing. I figure I can loosen the drain plug to let some out but was not sure about this procedure since I know there are O-rings involved and I don't want to mess anything up. ELSE, I can use a siphon and extract some oil from the dipstick port. Comments?!?

If it's way over I would drain the overage, if you take out too much you can put it back ….. the 1330 engine seems to a very well machined engine, in 4 years I have never added oil between oil changes …. in fact I only check it once a month now ………. Mike

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you think you need to take some out, take it out via the dip stick hole. about 4oz.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 06-21-2019 at 05:06 PM.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

If it's just a tad over, I wouldn't worry about it. The fill mark on the dip stick isn't an extremely critical or close tolerance measurement. If it's way over, then I would suck it out the fill hole. Draining out a drain plug is mission impossible. Not to mention the mess.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

fugetaboutit.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pela-PL-6...dc&athena=true I use this oil extractor, it comes In handy sucking Jet Ski oil, Overfilled car oil, and I even use it on the lawn mower and Snow blower at the end of the season.
    Just extract the amount your over. I have used it many times to extract 2 quarts out of Spyders in Mid season and adding 2 fresh quarts till my winter oil change. You vcan get More expensive ones but this one has worked fine for me.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

There was some "old" specs that the 1330 engine needed 5.6 then 5.9 qts of oil when changed. BRP corrected that to 5.0 qts. The bulletin suggested that not every oil change resulted in needing exactly the same amount of oil. That makes sense. If you look up "Can Am Spyder 1330 oil capacity" you will see the bulletin and better understand what is going on. It may be that your dealer was looking at the previous and erroneous data when refilling your oil. If a correction is needed, siphoning is the only way to go..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep, when I got my 2014 RT back from the dealer after its first 3k service it was one qt. over full. I had a small plastic tube about 3 ft. long and I shoved it down the fill hole and siphoned out one quart. Easy to do and very quick and inexpensive. Plus, I only needed 4 quarts for my next oil change. Some dealers...........well you know I mean.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    There was some "old" specs that the 1330 engine needed 5.6 then 5.9 qts of oil when changed. BRP corrected that to 5.0 qts. The bulletin suggested that not every oil change resulted in needing exactly the same amount of oil. That makes sense. If you look up "Can Am Spyder 1330 oil capacity" you will see the bulletin and better understand what is going on. It may be that your dealer was looking at the previous and erroneous data when refilling your oil. If a correction is needed, siphoning is the only way to go..... Jim
    I searched for that phrase, didn't see reference to an oil bulletin. Could you post a link or directions to the referenced bulletin? Thanks. I can't ever seem to find the BRP TSB's, wish there was a sticky or whole forum for them.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Sarge if it is so small an amount you can't be sure it is over then don't worry about it. If you really do need to get some out, don't loosen the drain plug. If your luck runs like mine there will be a mess. Just get an turkey injector and suck a little out. I bought mine at the grocery story for .98 cents.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

BRP doesn't publish TSBs to the paying masses. You have to have a friendly dealership service person.

If one follows the operator's guide for the fill amount when changing the oil and filter, or oil and filter and HCM filter AND if one adheres to the caution in checking the oil about NOT ADDING ANY OIL IF THE OIL LEVEL ON THE DIPSTICK IS BETWEEN THE MIN AND MAX MARKS, one will not have a problem with overfilling. Unfortunately, some dealerships still have problems training technicians to do what the manufacturer recommends. End of rant.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

If you have a brake bleeder you can get the oil out the dipstick with it. All you need is a quart jar, glass so you can see how much you get out. Tap and thread some hose barbs or just drill the lid and epoxy some plastic hose barbs. One should go a couple inches into the catch jar. The other ends right at the inside of the lid. The plastic tubing that goes in the dipstick hole goes on the longest barb. The suction pump hooks to the shortest barb. That is so the oil goes into the catch jar and is not sucked into the vacuum pump. You can suck out as much oil as you need to with this rig and tell about how much you get out by how much is in the quart jar. Some of the glass Mason canning jars even have ounce markings down the side of them.

Hardware store or Discount Auto Parts Stores will have all the tubing and hose barbs you need. Don't need clamps for vacuum applications.

The catch jar looks like this and works for bleeding brakes too...........

You can also suck a small amount of oil out or maybe get it started siphoning with a large hypodermic syringe like the ones you use to dose horses or cattle. They are sold in most any farm supply stores.

You don't need expensive vacuum pump. Little $15 plastic hand operated pump will do it. I been bleeding brakes with one for years.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Educ...gateway&sr=8-7
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    If you have a brake bleeder you can get the oil out the dipstick with it. All you need is a quart jar, glass so you can see how much you get out. Tap and thread some hose barbs or just drill the lid and epoxy some plastic hose barbs. One should go a couple inches into the catch jar. The other ends right at the inside of the lid. The plastic tubing that goes in the dipstick hole goes on the longest barb. The suction pump hooks to the shortest barb. That is so the oil goes into the catch jar and is not sucked into the vacuum pump. You can suck out as much oil as you need to with this rig and tell about how much you get out by how much is in the quart jar. Some of the glass Mason canning jars even have ounce markings down the side of them.

Hardware store or Discount Auto Parts Stores will have all the tubing and hose barbs you need. Don't need clamps for vacuum applications.

The catch jar looks like this and works for bleeding brakes too...........

You can also suck a small amount of oil out or maybe get it started siphoning with a large hypodermic syringe like the ones you use to dose horses or cattle. They are sold in most any farm supply stores.

You don't need expensive vacuum pump. Little $15 plastic hand operated pump will do it. I been bleeding brakes with one for years.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Educ...gateway&sr=8-7
    Get one of these at the $tree. used to shoot BBQ seasoning in to the meat.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

Been using the big syringe for years to put hyd oil and brake fluid in,saves bleeding,hadn't thought about taking it out with it!