Thread: Wind and Trucks

Spyder Garage

Default Wind and Trucks

I am in the Can Am class Monday and sure I will do well, have fun and learn. Interest in the Ryker financially. Not sure what will be available in class and not a concern.

I am 6', around 220 or so.

Just wondering what I may experience at highway speeds. Even our local 2 lane roads here in Texas are 60-65 mph. 130 is 80-85.

What can I expect when passed by things like semis, even regular vehicles.

Yes, I do know experience is the best teacher, but have never ridden 2 wheel bikes or other small vehicles on the highway, always cars and pickups.

Spyder Garage

You can expect the Ryker to be twitchy in the wind as well as being passed by semi's. Just the way it is. But it is the same way on 2 wheels. It will be scary for you at first but you will get used to it. Class will teach you no real world road experiences, you will have to learn that on your own.

Spyder Garage

The class will be in a big parking lot, so, do not expect any real experience, just get the certificate to get the 3 wheel endorsement on my license. Just asking questions and will initially ride on very empty, local roads till I build up confidence in the bike and especially me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Road conditions has a lot to do with how the Ryker handles. I was on a nice highway today and 70-75 mph was the sweet spot on my Rally. Felt like I could ride cross country as it felt so good and motor so smooth. I’ve also been on roads where I had to work at it to do the 45 mph speed limit. Take your time and learn how the Ryker reacts to different road and wind conditions. cueman

Spyder Garage

Most find that 500 miles of real world driving will make you feel more comfortable.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WallyM View Post
    I am in the Can Am class Monday and sure I will do well, have fun and learn. Interest in the Ryker financially. Not sure what will be available in class and not a concern.

Just wondering what I may experience at highway speeds. Even our local 2 lane roads here in Texas are 60-65 mph. 130 is 80-85.

Yes, I do know experience is the best teacher, but have never ridden 2 wheel bikes or other small vehicles on the highway, always cars and pickups.
    I am 6' 2" and 189lbs - my 600 is very comfortable - saddle gets a bit hard after a couple of hours though! As far as trucks and wind, you will feel it as you do on any bike but the Ryker is very stable on decent roads and within a few hours of ryding you should get pretty confident at higher speeds.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WallyM View Post

I took a class last year. They taught mostly maneuvering, using your blinkers and emergency stop situations. Pretty basic stuff but it gives you a feel for what you're getting into.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxfann View Post
    I am 6' 2" and 189lbs - my 600 is very comfortable - saddle gets a bit hard after a couple of hours though! As far as trucks and wind, you will feel it as you do on any bike but the Ryker is very stable on decent roads and within a few hours of ryding you should get pretty confident at higher speeds.
    I found the same thing with the stock seat on my 900 ace. I bought a Rally seat from Winnex3 who changed to the comfort seat. Stock Rally seat is 1/2 thicker and to me more comfortable.

Spyder Garage

Default What I find.....

Not familiar with the Ryker but I have found that coming from two wheelers to the reverse three wheelers the wind and truck passsing changes from the whole bike and ryder effect to mostly just the ryder being pushed about. I find relaxed and leaning into the wind is all you need. Just be aware that it is coming.... Few hundred miles and you will get comfortable with it....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    mostly just the ryder being pushed about.
    Totally agree. Because of the 3-wheel design, the bike does not lean with the wind, it stays flat, and it is just the rider being tossed around. Similar to curves where on a 2-wheel both the bike and rider lean into the curve whereas on a Spyder you need to brace yourself into the curve.

Enjoy!

J
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark