Thread: Stopping

Spyder Garage

Default Stopping

I was on a week ride with a few friends, leading the group, into Ohio to ride the Windy 9. At one point, I was looking for a route number, following a cage. I saw two roads ahead with route numbers, and looked down at my phone/gps, when suddenly the cage in front decided to stop and put their left hand turn signals on (After stopping of course) As I looked up I saw the rear bumper of the car looming closer, I jammed the brake on and turned slightly to the right to avoid the car. The bike stopped, as I told my riding buds, on a quarter and gave me change. These things stop GREAT!!. Hope I don't have to use it like that again, but nice to know they do stop. By the way the Windy 9 are some great roads to ride. We then went south and rode through West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina and Pennsylvania.(Not in that order) Cut the week by a day because of constant downpour. Still a good week.
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Every time I get another vehicle, of any kind, one of the first things I do, after assuring all the tires have proper inflation, is to find a stretch of isolated normal dry pavement somewhere, get up to around 50mph, and do a panic stop just to learn how the vehicle responds. And yes, the Spyder does an amazing job of getting stopped.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    Every time I get another vehicle, of any kind, one of the first things I do, after assuring all the tires have proper inflation, is to find a stretch of isolated normal dry pavement somewhere, get up to around 50mph, and do a panic stop just to learn how the vehicle responds. And yes, the Spyder does an amazing job of getting stopped.
    ……. and add this should be Standard practice. ….knowing in advance what your ride is capable of paramount importance …… Mike

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Live to Ride, Ride to Live!! Good Brakes and Driver that left room for things to work as they should.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup! These things will stop you quicker than the sound of a pump-action shotgun's slide being racked...
    But hang on: they WILL dislodge you from the seat; if you're not ready for it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Yup! These things will stop you quicker than the sound of a pump-action shotgun's slide being racked...
    But hang on: they WILL dislodge you from the east; if you're not ready for it!
    Bob,

Good to know. I will try advoiding going east from now on.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Wait until you have to change brake pads and replace the OEM ones with EBC fully sintered ones from Bajaron. You'll feel the hand of God in action.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry... lousy typing skills, and a spelll-check that couldn't see the lack of logic in what I had typed.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I honestly can't think of anything on the road that can stop as fast as the Spyder. I think it seriously increases the danger of being hit from behind during heavy braking- I always check the mirror in that event.

Never have braked hard in a corner, I know that is poor move on a 2 wheeler.....

Spyder Garage

" Never have braked hard in a corner, I know that is poor move on a 2 wheeler....."

It's a poor move in a 4 wheeler too.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Wait until you have to change brake pads and replace the OEM ones with EBC fully sintered ones from Bajaron. You'll feel the hand of God in action.
    Did that already
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapnPete View Post
    I honestly can't think of anything on the road that can stop as fast as the Spyder. I think it seriously increases the danger of being hit from behind during heavy braking

My wife and I were heading home after a day of riding when a deer jumped out of the woods onto the road. I braked hard and my wife's helmet smacked mine pretty hard but luckily she had a good grip on the handrails. However, the car behind us which was not tailgating, came way too close for comfort to hitting us. They were honking their horn and I could count the bugs on their grill in my mirror. I was thinking "out of the frying pan and into the fire" as I braced myself while the car swerved into the other lane to avoid hitting us and almost hit the deer.

Yes, I do think a well maintained Spyder will stop faster than just about any other vehicle on the road. Now I pull off somewhere to let a car go by if they are following closer than I'm comfortable with because of that experience.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

" Now I pull off somewhere to let a car go by if they are following closer than I'm comfortable with because of that experience."

I hate tailgaters
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

In my car or on the Spyder, I pull over if there are cars behind me. I'm not a slow ryder/driver and if someone wants to go faster than me, far be it from me to get in the way of them finding the cops before I do. Let them get the ticket.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

At the GWRRA Wing Ding in Billings a few years ago I took the Trike Rider Course with my RTS. One of the exercises was panic stopping. I hit the brakes hard going only about 20 or 30 mph. Instantly I was wearing the windshield as a bib!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Hmmm... I got those EBC sintered pads at 39,000 miles, but never have panic-tested them. Sounds like I should do that again!

BUT... my OEM brakes are Brembo; were yours the earlier ones, of less quality?
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I had a panic stop experience on a group ride a few weeks ago, riding solo on my ST-S.
    The rider in front of me stopped as we were at an intersection, we were only travelling @10 mph.
    I slammed brakes and stopped in time.
    Rider behind me claims rear wheel lifted about 3 inches...I hadn't felt or noticed.
    Is this unusual or a "normal" response? Riding on stock Kendas and OEM brakes.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Can you say hyperbole?
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ……. and add this should be Standard practice. ….knowing in advance what your ride is capable of paramount importance …… Mike
    that's what sold me on the Spyder was its stopping power. When teaching Jane to ride, I made sure she did several hard stops to instill confidence in her that the machine is about the safest one out there.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Yep, I learned that one at Spyder School.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black