Spyder Garage

Default Power assist steering

Hello, I was wondering if anyone else has the same issue/concern. I have a 2015 RTL , my wife loved it so much we got her a 2017 F3T. The F3 steering at a stand still is much easier to turn than my rt. I have no lights for DPS errors. Is this common? I would like my wife to have experience on both bikes but with the steering so hard to turn I am skeptical. When i say hard to turn its a comparison to the 2017 f3. Had I not got the f3 I would think the steering was normal.

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..

The RT is a heavier model and the DPS does not work till you have the engine running as it draws a LOT of electrical power and would drain your battery in a hurry if the system is not being recharged. It also will work less as you get going and the assist is not needed. The difference will not be that noticeable if at all once she is on the road.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Didn't they do something with the steer assist to make it easier on the newer spiders? Like 2017 on up?

Spyder Garage

I, too, think I have read somewhere that the newer Spyders have easier turning power steering. The PS on my bike is very subtle. It diminishes with speed. A good way to test if it is working correctly is very easy. With the engine off, hand push and try to steer the bike on a good flat surface like in a garage. Notice the difficulty in turning. Then start the engine and do the same thing. The steering will be very noticeably easier with the engine running and the DPS operating correctly..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I, too, think I have read somewhere that the newer Spyders have easier turning power steering. The PS on my bike is very subtle. It diminishes with speed. A good way to test if it is working correctly is very easy. With the engine off, hand push and try to steer the bike on a good flat surface like in a garage. Notice the difficulty in turning. Then start the engine and do the same thing. The steering will be very noticeably easier with the engine running and the DPS operating correctly..... Jim
    I need to remember to check this out on both bikes. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

The DPS unit on late build 17 and newer is different from earlier years. My 17 F3T has it, I believe it was referred to as “brushless” The only difference that I have experienced is it will randomly go out and BRP claims it is due to riding near high power lines.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the replies. I could just get a new bike, that will fix it. I really don't think wifey will go for that one. I'll do more research and run the suggested tests.