Spyder Garage

Default Ok, Weird thing happened this morning

First day it's not raining so I got to ride in. I'm still fairly new to the tryke so I was working it a bit hard - hit 70-80 once or twice on the straights, but mostly cruising at around 65-70. Got to my exit, downshifted and stopped at the light so I put it in neutral. I noticed it smelled a little hot, but the gauge showed the 3 bars so I figured it was ok. Light changed, I hit the + button... and nothing. It stayed in neutral. Hm, hit it again and still nothing. Now I'm on a slight incline so I had to hold the brake so keep from moving so that wasn't it. I rolled to the side of the road, turned it off, waited a moment, then started it back up. Seems to be running fine, although I did notice the temp gauge was up to 4 bars and the fans kicked on. But not issues after that. Just a fluke?

On another note, when the fans kicked in, I hear the left side one, but not sure I could hear the right side. Is that normal?

I haven't had it but two weeks, hoping it's not dying already.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

do you shift your car into neutral at every stop sign/light? Is your RT an SE or SM?
    Of course you can't get out of neutral without foot on brake, Fans or fan kicking on is perfectly understandable
    If you have been sitting there a while idling. I don't think you have any real issues here, but that's just my guess.
    4 bars on temp gauge? That sounds like the gauge in the cluster. Not the analog one ?
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am pretty sure that this is not the problem but you do not need to shift into neutral. Not sure what may have caused the issue but worth a trip to the dealer to investigate.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

From what I recall in the MSF course for your own safety one should not be in neutral at a stoplight/sign but should be in first in case one has to make a getaway from the moron behind who may not be able to stop before rear ending you.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Possibly....

These machines are prone to tossing out little glitches that after a re-start are not to be found. It it did give a code you did not see it will be stored and only when on the BUDS system at the dealer can be seen. If it happens again have it checked out. As to the heat smell etc most times if not ryden in a while there is a certain amount of dust and debris that will burn off on the initial run. As long as the temp and fan are in the normal range and working your fine. You can see if both fans are working by letting it heat up while stopped and checking both sides....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I think the message here is "DO NOT SHIFT INTO NEUTRAL" at a stop light or similar situation, this transmission is similar to your car transmission, only go into neutral to change from forward to reverse or to push it around a parking lot.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

about Not shifting it into Neutral …. and my SE won't go into gear when in Neutral …..you have to have your foot on the Brake … your Spyder is new , so there will be some un-familiar odors for awhile ….. any Strong odors need to be identified tho ..Mike

Spyder Garage

You know, I tried to put my tryke info into a sig line, and apparently it didn't work. Its a 2014 RT-S SE6.

Yes, when I drove a manual car, I shifted into neutral at most lights. My father used to tell me it wasn't good for the throw out bearings to sit at lights all the time with the clutch in.

Honestly, I'm not sure how it got into neutral, I must have down shifted one too many times. Normally I'd let it downshift for me, but I was testing the limits some and shifting up and down throughout the ride. I've only had it a couple weeks so I'm still feeling things out.

Yes, I use the digital gauges - the PO pulled the mechanicals and swapped them for volt meter and oil pressure gauges. One of the things I liked about it when I bought it. Got a few other handy farkles, and some useless (to me) ones as well.

Strange - as I post this, the sig line shows up.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

The strange odor is the mouse that went to sleep in your exhaust pipe cooking.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

You may have shifted down as the SE was already about to. Been there done that, you do need to check the oil level. My SE 5 would fail to shift when only 1/2 qt low or so(not enough for warning ). Can only guess the SE6 follows closely.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

If you have a 2014 RT-S the Spyder isn't going to die on you. It is a very reliable machine. I suggest you take it out and on a plain old road and try to replicate the situation you described. For your own safety the 1330 ACE engine will not shift out of neutral, either into first or reverse, unless the operator first steps on the brake. Read pg 13-14 of your operator's guide.

Regarding Bfromla's comment about transmission performance in a low oil situation, you 1330 Ace engine does not use ANY oil. If you properly check the oil level and it is no lower than the Min bulb mark on the dipstick your Spyder will run and shift fine until the cows come home. If you notice the oil level going down the engine is not using it, you have a leak.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

you cannot, in my experience, downshift into neutral.
    Neutral can only be found with a half/shift, or light touch, up from first..
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    you cannot, in my experience, downshift into neutral.
    Neutral can only be found with a half/shift, or light touch, up from first..
    I do it every time I pull into my garage. I'm in first to climb the grade to the garage and as I roll in I tap the lever one more time to downshift and it goes into neutral. Top of pg 14 of OG. I guess we could quibble about whether a light tap on the downshift lever when in first is really downshifting but we both probably have more productive things to do.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Well, rode some 2 up on Saturday, and rode to work this morning with no issues. It may well be that I let go of the brake and started coasting (as I would on a "regular" bike), then tried to shift. I can't say for certain. Just something to keep watch on I guess. But I've only had it a couple weeks, so I'm still adjusting. Nanny caught me this morning trying to slide onto the entry ramp, but it was a very smooth reduction in power and didn't cause me any undue issue.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange