Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Custom Spyder Wheels

I installed a set of custom Spyder Wheels on my F3-S at the Carolina Spyder Rally in Anderson SC on May 18, 2019 at 3797 miles. Before that rally, I had spoken to the owner, Donn Smith and confirmed that he was not selling just wheels, but an upgrade to the handling on the bike. This was not clear on his website. I saw a post on Facebook about his patented hub converter and called him to discuss the engineering involved in this upgrade.

He installs his patented front hub which converts the Spyder from the three lug Ski-Doo hub to a Chevy five lug pattern. I elected to go with a 17 X 7.5 wheel with a 185 X 35 X 17 82VXL (not run flat) tire. So that is +2 on the stock wheel and -2 on the stock tire sidewall. Net out same circumference and fits in stock fender.

I also want to mention that he sells +40 mm wheels with his set up, so the center of the tire and wheel are still over the wheel bearings. I've heard some comments about the SCS sensor being affected by this upgrade. I cannot see how that could be affected with everything centered.

Where does this get you? The stock tires are tall, with 4 inch side walls. Nice soft ride and the cause of the hop and roll everyone complains about. The stock wheels are 15 X 5 which put about 5 inches of rubber on the ground. The new wheels and tires put about 6 1/2 to 7 inches on the ground (varies with manufacturer). I have Acellera track tires on mine. There is an additional 4 inches between the inside of the front rims. Wider stance and more rubber. The tires have very stiff side walls. No roll. Add a Baha Ron sway bar upgrade and you are really cooking.

I now have 5634 miles on the bike. Twisties in North Carolina, including Carolina 226A. This set up transforms the bike. Its like the difference between an SUV and a 370Z. If you are looking for hooked up in corners, this is for you. In my opinion it's a true performance upgrade, if that is what you are looking for. Not for everyone and certainly not for a lot of the RT crowd wondering where their next cup holder should be installed.

20190619_150959.jpg20190619_151024.jpg20190619_151049.jpg20190619_151253.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-23-2019 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Tires are not run flat.
    2021 Grey RT Limited, Dark Edition; Baja Ron sway bar; Spyder Pops front fender and mirror pod LED turn signals