Spyder Garage

Default Custom Spyder Wheels

I installed a set of custom Spyder Wheels on my F3-S at the Carolina Spyder Rally in Anderson SC on May 18, 2019 at 3797 miles. Before that rally, I had spoken to the owner, Donn Smith and confirmed that he was not selling just wheels, but an upgrade to the handling on the bike. This was not clear on his website. I saw a post on Facebook about his patented hub converter and called him to discuss the engineering involved in this upgrade.

He installs his patented front hub which converts the Spyder from the three lug Ski-Doo hub to a Chevy five lug pattern. I elected to go with a 17 X 7.5 wheel with a 185 X 35 X 17 82VXL (not run flat) tire. So that is +2 on the stock wheel and -2 on the stock tire sidewall. Net out same circumference and fits in stock fender.

I also want to mention that he sells +40 mm wheels with his set up, so the center of the tire and wheel are still over the wheel bearings. I've heard some comments about the SCS sensor being affected by this upgrade. I cannot see how that could be affected with everything centered.

Where does this get you? The stock tires are tall, with 4 inch side walls. Nice soft ride and the cause of the hop and roll everyone complains about. The stock wheels are 15 X 5 which put about 5 inches of rubber on the ground. The new wheels and tires put about 6 1/2 to 7 inches on the ground (varies with manufacturer). I have Acellera track tires on mine. There is an additional 4 inches between the inside of the front rims. Wider stance and more rubber. The tires have very stiff side walls. No roll. Add a Baha Ron sway bar upgrade and you are really cooking.

I now have 5634 miles on the bike. Twisties in North Carolina, including Carolina 226A. This set up transforms the bike. Its like the difference between an SUV and a 370Z. If you are looking for hooked up in corners, this is for you. In my opinion it's a true performance upgrade, if that is what you are looking for. Not for everyone and certainly not for a lot of the RT crowd wondering where their next cup holder should be installed.

20190619_150959.jpg20190619_151024.jpg20190619_151049.jpg20190619_151253.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-23-2019 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Tires are not run flat.
    2021 Grey RT Limited, Dark Edition; Baja Ron sway bar; Spyder Pops front fender and mirror pod LED turn signals

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmarkel View Post
    I installed a set of custom Spyder Wheels on my F3-S at the Carolina Spyder Rally in Anderson SC on May 18, 2019 at 3797 miles. Before that rally, I had spoken to the owner, Donn Smith and confirmed that he was not selling just wheels, but an upgrade to the handling on the bike. This was not clear on his website. I saw a post on Facebook about his patented hub converter and called him to discuss the engineering involved in this upgrade.

He installs his patented front hub which converts the Spyder from the three lug Ski-Doo hub to a Chevy five lug pattern. I elected to go with a 17 X 7.5 wheel with a 185 X 35 X 17 82VXL (run flat) tire. So that is +2 on the stock wheel and -2 on the stock tire sidewall. Net out same circumference and fits in stock fender.

I also want to mention that he sells +40 mm wheels with his set up, so the center of the tire and wheel are still over the wheel bearings. I've heard some comments about the SCS sensor being affected by this upgrade. I cannot see how that could be affected with everything centered.

Where does this get you? The stock tires are tall, with 4 inch side walls. Nice soft ride and the cause of the hop and roll everyone complains about. The stock wheels are 15 X 5 which put about 5 inches of rubber on the ground. The new wheels and tires put about 6 1/2 to 7 inches on the ground (varies with manufacturer). I have Acellera track tires on mine. There is an additional 4 inches between the inside of the front rims. Wider stance and more rubber. The run flat tires have very stiff side walls. No roll. Add a Baha Ron sway bar upgrade and you are really cooking.

I now have 5634 miles on the bike. Twisties in North Carolina, including Carolina 226A. This set up transforms the bike. Its like the difference between an SUV and a 370Z. If you are looking for hooked up in corners, this is for you. In my opinion it's a true performance upgrade, if that is what you are looking for. Not for everyone and certainly not for a lot of the RT crowd wondering where their next cup holder should be installed.

Thanks for your review ….. I had put 185/55-15 tires ( Toyo Proxes T1r's ) on my Basic 2014 RT ….. those tires stuck like GLUE , However the NANNY didn't like them at all - waaaay to much traction in the Twistie's ……. whenever I exceeded the " G " forces that Nanny allowed, she would cut power ….. one can drive smooth as glass, that doesn't matter to the Nanny …. If you exceed the parameters set in that computer , She will cut power...…. Annnnnnnd " 35 " aspect ratio tires have to produce a punishing ride, I learned a long time ago tires are part of the suspension sytem. If they don't flex much you will feel every small pebble you go over …… Mike

Spyder Garage

You are certainly correct about the ride Mike. The low aspect run flats are stiff and make the ride stiffer. Everything mechanical has its trade offs. A friend took the run flats off his wife's BMW for that very reason.

I have not experienced the VSS shutting me down. Maybe I haven't pushed the bike hard enough. The developer, Donn Smith, tells me he can corner at huge speeds with no Nanny response. You may reach out to him at info@customspyderwheels.com if you are interested in discussing that issue with him.
    2021 Grey RT Limited, Dark Edition; Baja Ron sway bar; Spyder Pops front fender and mirror pod LED turn signals

Spyder Garage

I want to correct my statement that my tires are run flats. They are not.

Spyder Garage

Smile

Well now, we have an RT and we upgraded in Anderson and got a cup holder. Was that supposed to be a dig?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lili77 View Post
    Well now, we have an RT and we upgraded in Anderson and got a cup holder. Was that supposed to be a dig?
    The pun intended was that you cannot corner like a demon and drink from a cup at the same time!

Spyder Garage

bmarkel well done! May I ask how much that set you back?

Spyder Garage

The pun intended was that you cannot corner like a demon and drink from a cup at the same time!
    And you may say you cant corner with a rt, like you can with the f3, or the Ryker! They all have different pants on there Nanny! Cool looking rims, would love to take her out for a rip!!!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

He installs his patented front hub which converts the Spyder from the three lug Ski-Doo hub to a Chevy five lug pattern. I elected to go with a 17 X 7.5 wheel with a 185 X 35 X 17 82VXL (run flat) tire. So that is +2 on the stock wheel and -2 on the stock tire sidewall. Net out same circumference and fits in stock fender.

Where does this get you? The stock tires are tall, with 4 inch side walls. Nice soft ride and the cause of the hop and roll everyone complains about. The stock wheels are 15 X 5 which put about 5 inches of rubber on the ground. The new wheels and tires put about 6 1/2 to 7 inches on the ground (varies with manufacturer). I have Acellera track tires on mine. There is an additional 4 inches between the inside of the front rims. Wider stance and more rubber. The tires have very stiff side walls. No roll. Add a Baha Ron sway bar upgrade and you are really cooking.

Your signature needs an update. On the newly constructed bridge over RT11, the bridge abutment (which is the new 1 foot of macadam type) has swelled to speed bump proportions. Top that off with its angle of attack which is about 45° it's pretty hairy crossing it with a spyder. The last time I had negotiated it in October 2018 it was fine, not swelled. I winter in SC so this June was the first time I went on the bridge heading west. I did not see any difference in the hazard soon to befall me. The left front wheel went first then the right. It ripped the bars out of my hands and my right hand traveled up the grip and hit the kill switch. It was painful. Stock Kendas and Ron's sway bar. How well do you figure this set up would fare in such a happenstance?
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Does anyone know the website address for Mr Smiths conversions?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Damn they do look amazing
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I wonder how the tire spray will be while riding in the rain, especially when turning left/right? I'd also think an increased chance in hydroplaning?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Really interesting and thanks for sharing. I had no idea these things were out there.

My thoughts are:

1) That would be illegal in the UK as your tire now sticks out way beyond the wheel arch - it would fail our annual inspection. I have no idea what the rules are in the US?

2) The extra space inside the wheel would make me want to fit larger brakes, have you looked into that and are there any options out there?

3) I'm not sure it's an improvement from a looks department, but that's a subjective thing of course and it may be the large air gap around the brakes I don't like. A wheel with more/bigger spokes might look better.

Thanks.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Rear tire size??

BMARKEL.....wondering what size rear tire you're using with your setup??