Spyder Garage

Default Almost Dead Battery

I WAS going for a ride this morning as the thunderstorm has passed. Not enough power to start or even ignite the computer. 7v. I have a charger on it and will see if that helps. The battery in my 14 RT is possibly 3 years old. Strange that it worked well 3 days ago. Any clue?

Spyder Garage

Hi Ric,
    Check the battery terminals as they may be loose. I'd use a battery charger ( not a maintainer ). You can have the battery load tested at most auto supply stores. Sometimes vibration will just break or crack a cell connector and the battery will show voltage but have no ability to start you bike.

But be prepared to buy a new battery.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

That is common for batteries. To me they are like a light switch - they work until they stop - as if a switch was flipped.

For most of my motorcycles it seems that 3 years was all I could get from them.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    Strange that it worked well 3 days ago. Any clue?
    Not "strange" at all.
    Everything works fine, right up to the second that it fails.

Highly likely that you just need a new battery.
    The new one needs to be fully charged before installing AND then you need to check the charging voltage.

IF.....you don't ride a lot or have an "off season" in the winter, you really need an automatic tender-type battery maintainer for the down time.
    That does NOT mean a cheap trickle charger though.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    That is common for batteries. To me they are like a light switch - they work until they stop - as if a switch was flipped.

For most of my motorcycles it seems that 3 years was all I could get from them.
    I change out the batteries on my scoots every three years.....needed or not. I put a charger on them every ride or so. Never had a battery related problem. I ride west Texas once in a while and don't wish to have a problem with no towns or cell service in many areas I ride. Have you ever tried to buy a motorcycle battery in Redford, TX? ha ha

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

Do you have anything that can use up the battery when put up..? did you have any electrical work done..? For sure check all connections battery and ground straps to frame. 3 years is not long but could be it depending on it's history of charging or discharging. Sometimes short rydes with many starts will run down the battery and not enough running time to recharge. Charge it test it and go from there....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I looked closely and tugged wires, found nothing connected. Ignition off, key removed. I believe it was as someone noted, like a light switch. I took the battery to Batteries Plus. They checked and pronounced it to have suddely passed away. It was producing 7 volts, however. Not enough. IO replaced it with a Duracel Ultra battery, made in the USA. FYI, $149. I wanted an Interstate battery b ut they closed their local shop and moved to Bossier City. Too far to drive. The battery that failed was a Yuasa model YTX24HL-BS, also made in the USA. There is a clip that holds the battery in place. It clips in the back under a cross brace. It fell. There must be some secret factory thing to help get it repositioned. I think an extra pair of hands might work. In case you wondered, the battery was hooked up to a maintainer all Winter. I guess it was just 'time'. But thank yopu all for helping me solve my issue. Now, hot as hell here but a great time to work the Veskimo.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery

The Dura Cell Ultra is a very good battery. They have a great 2 year Warranty.....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue