I recently bought a new rear tire for my Spyder, and amidst several other summer projects thought I'd have it installed by a dealer instead of doing it myself. The quote I got back was 2 hours of shop time billed out at $150/hour, so $300 for labor only.

I have changed a couple dozen motorcycle and scooter tires over the last several years, so the exchanging of the rubber bits don't make me nervous. I even did the fronts on my Spyder maybe a month ago; fortunately the balancing equipment I have fit. That was a nice surprise.

Anyway, on to the point. Two questions; First, is $300 a realistic, typical charge for changing the rear tire (assuming here I ride the Spyder to wherever the service is to be done, not just bring a wheel in). If it's deemed high I may continue to search for a place to do it for less, but $300.... Yikes.

Second, the process. As I understand it, to get the rear wheel off you can jack the vehicle up and detach the rear shock so that the belt gets slack. Slide the belt off, and the rear wheel comes off by removal of the axle, like a typical motorcycle. Main thing to keep in mind is the belt adjustment stuff; screw that up and I'll be out a $300 belt.... But if that is left undisturbed, and the wheel replaced in the same position as it is now, all should be fine.

Thoughts? Any tricks I should know going in?

Thanks,
Sully