Spyder Garage

Question How much $$ to change rear tire (2010 RT-S SE5)

I recently bought a new rear tire for my Spyder, and amidst several other summer projects thought I'd have it installed by a dealer instead of doing it myself. The quote I got back was 2 hours of shop time billed out at $150/hour, so $300 for labor only.

I have changed a couple dozen motorcycle and scooter tires over the last several years, so the exchanging of the rubber bits don't make me nervous. I even did the fronts on my Spyder maybe a month ago; fortunately the balancing equipment I have fit. That was a nice surprise.

Anyway, on to the point. Two questions; First, is $300 a realistic, typical charge for changing the rear tire (assuming here I ride the Spyder to wherever the service is to be done, not just bring a wheel in). If it's deemed high I may continue to search for a place to do it for less, but $300.... Yikes.

Second, the process. As I understand it, to get the rear wheel off you can jack the vehicle up and detach the rear shock so that the belt gets slack. Slide the belt off, and the rear wheel comes off by removal of the axle, like a typical motorcycle. Main thing to keep in mind is the belt adjustment stuff; screw that up and I'll be out a $300 belt.... But if that is left undisturbed, and the wheel replaced in the same position as it is now, all should be fine.

Thoughts? Any tricks I should know going in?

Thanks,
    Sully
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

I do my own and yes if you remove the shock bolt that will allow you to lower the tire enough to slide the belt off. If you have the level arm on yours make sure you disconnect that so you do not bend it.

Also make sure you remove the speed sensor from the rear wheel, and make note of any spacers to ensure you replace them in the same way.

Loosen the axel nut, and remove the rear brake before removing the shock bolt. Once you have that bolt removed than remove the axel and lift the Spyder to lower the tire, slip the belt off and continue to raise the Spyder until the wheel can be pulled out.

Reverse to install.

As long as you do not touch the adjusters you should have the same belt alignment and tension.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Local dealer in PA has the following listed on their Service Menu:
    Replace Rear Tire - $374.49
    Replace Front Tire (each, 14" or 15") - $139.49
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    Local dealer in PA has the following listed on their Service Menu:
    Replace Rear Tire - $374.49
    Replace Front Tire (each, 14" or 15") - $139.49

Wow... $139.49 to lift a wheel, remove three nuts, swap a tire, and put the wheel back on.
    Dayum….
    Makes me wonder how tire places make any money when WalMart charges, what, $25 for install on a car tire?
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Probably due to the high cost of all that crystal clean air
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

My local (national chain) tire shop removed old fronts from rims and installed 2 Quadtrac5 tires I brought in, and machine balanced for $10 each !
    My local Spyder Dealer removed old rear tire and installed new Quadtrac5 I brought in, for $150. Included checking belt and adjusting tensions, etc.
    (which is what he would have charged even if it was a Kenda bought from him. )
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Yikes--My dealer charge $183 for all tires to remove the old &remount car tires--wallburl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    Probably due to the high cost of all that crystal clean air
    Not sure how Walmart could install a car tire for so much less if this is the case.
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    My local (national chain) tire shop removed old fronts from rims and installed 2 Quadtrac5 tires I brought in, and machine balanced for $10 each !
    My local Spyder Dealer removed old rear tire and installed new Quadtrac5 I brought in, for $150. Included checking belt and adjusting tensions, etc.
    (which is what he would have charged even if it was a Kenda bought from him. )
    Well now that seems downright reasonable.
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wallburl View Post
    Yikes--My dealer charge $183 for all tires to remove the old &remount car tires--wallburl
    There may be a ride to Kansas in my near future....
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

I took a car tire in and had the dealer pull the tire off the bike and change it. He quoted $110.00 and ended up charging $90. It took the tech less than an hour to change out the tire.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Is that in Madison or Johnson Creek? Might check the two dealerships.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    Is that in Madison or Johnson Creek? Might check the two dealerships.
    Engelhardt in Madison. I'll check out Johnson Creek, thanks.
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dealer quotes two hours to replace rear tire. But their rate is only $95 (plus the ubiquitous 5% "shop supplies" addon), so about $200 labor.
    I expect new fronts to be delivered Friday, but I'm taking them to an independent shop for mounting and balancing. Will report charge later (if I don't forget).
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Lodi WI shell station. Dan puts my tires on for $20. You bring the tire and wheel.
    This is 20 minutes north of you. 608-592-3722. Only the owner Dan will do this service?
    Otherwise Cycle World in Madison WI installs tires YOU bring in for $50.
    Dennis

Spyder Garage

order the tire online (discount tire) about $82 , take the wheel to any tire shop and they will charge maybe $15 to change it. If you buy the tire from discount (if you have one available locally) they wont charge to swap them out.

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys. I already have the tire.
    As far as taking the wheel in to have just the tire removed and the new on put on the rim, I can do that myself faster than going to a shop.
    No, for me the hump I need to get over is wheel removal and installation; if I can do that in a couple hours total, so let's say three hours for the whole job, I'll do it myself.
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the heads up with Engelhardt. Not sure what Rob's will be like, but very Spyder friendly dealership... Wisconsin Spyder group called SOAR sponsored through them (Spyder Owners and Ryders ... joinsoar.com).

Spyder Garage

Dealers quoting and actually charging 2 hours labor for changing a rear Spyder tire are fostering the bad service/repair costs so many of us are experiencing. There are exceptions. I had to have a rear tire replaced while on the road in New Mexico. My charge was $213.00 which included tax and the new Kenda tire. (They only had Kendas in stock and I needed to get back on the road). Unfortunately, dealers charging a reasonable rate seem to be rare in the Spyder world..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    My dealer quotes two hours to replace rear tire. But their rate is only $95 (plus the ubiquitous 5% "shop supplies" addon), so about $200 labor.
    I expect new fronts to be delivered Friday, but I'm taking them to an independent shop for mounting and balancing. Will report charge later (if I don't forget).
    $10 each for new valves, mount & balance. Mexican open-air used tire dealer with many outdoor "stalls" to service customers, while you watch and advise, like the good old days before insurance lawyers. They even had the little flat balance weights like OEM. I told them "15 psi, and 1/2lb tolerance" and the guy meticulously brought each tire to exactly 15 with his electronic gauge. And used a torque wrench on the lug nuts. Great service!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I take my 2015 RT to a Can Am quad dealer and they remove, balance and reinstall the wheel with my provided tire for just under $100. Try it, you'll be pleased.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    Thanks for the heads up with Engelhardt. Not sure what Rob's will be like, but very Spyder friendly dealership... Wisconsin Spyder group called SOAR sponsored through them (Spyder Owners and Ryders ... joinsoar.com).
    $281 at Rob's.
    Looks like a DIY is in my near future.
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Dealers quoting and actually charging 2 hours labor for changing a rear Spyder tire are fostering the bad service/repair costs so many of us are experiencing. There are exceptions. I had to have a rear tire replaced while on the road in New Mexico. My charge was $213.00 which included tax and the new Kenda tire. (They only had Kendas in stock and I needed to get back on the road). Unfortunately, dealers charging a reasonable rate seem to be rare in the Spyder world..... Jim
    I paid ~$80 for my new tire, but it looks to be selling for ~$100 now. So that would suggest ~$115 for the install. I'd bite on that, but it doesn't seem available locally.
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Sully View Post
    $281 at Rob's.
    Looks like a DIY is in my near future.
    $281 for a tire change? No wonder Rob's is friendly. The name is right.."Rob's"
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black