Spyder Garage

Default One year on the 2018 and all is good......

It's been one year and 1 week since I got my new 2018 RT. I had a few issues when I first got it but they were what ever one else complains about and so on. The latest firmware update took away 99% of those issues for sure. BT works great now with my Sena head set and using my Android on the X mount both connected to the bike. Answering a phone call or making one while riding is great. Switching between the bike radio FM or Pandora from my phone is just a couple of clicks. Life is good.

Today I took a 253 mile ride and when I pulled into the garage I am now 18 miles short of 10,000!!! No issues in any form for sure.

The only "test" I have done is go from top grade gas to mid grade many miles ago. NO DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE, NO DIFFERENT IN MPG. I still get 100-110 miles to the half way mark and 180 + a bit till the light comes on. Saving a few bux and it's not hurting the engine for sure. Your opinion will vary I'm sure.......

One year left of the warranty. I think they could have made it a bit longer.......

Rubber down and great trips ahead...........
    John

2018 Spyder RT
    Custom Pinstriping by Fastripe.com see video @ https://www.dropbox.com/s/5icsez0g0w...iping.mp4?dl=0
    18" floor boards
    Ram mount phone X holder
    Ram mount cup holder

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are enjoying your Spyder.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I also use less than 91 octane ….. I read all the mileage posts and have never seen anything regarding better gas mileage or power that justifies using gas that costs .45 to .65 more per gallon.... In fact at this years Drags, at SpyderFest. I was doing quite well against most others ( not Seth tho ) ….. The enxt day I realized I had been in ECO mode during the Drags …… go figure …… Mike

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ride2GetHigh View Post
    It's been one year and 1 week since I got my new 2018 RT. I had a few issues when I first got it but they were what ever one else complains about and so on. The latest firmware update took away 99% of those issues for sure. BT works great now with my Sena head set and using my Android on the X mount both connected to the bike. Answering a phone call or making one while riding is great. Switching between the bike radio FM or Pandora from my phone is just a couple of clicks. Life is good.

Today I took a 253 mile ride and when I pulled into the garage I am now 18 miles short of 10,000!!! No issues in any form for sure.

The only "test" I have done is go from top grade gas to mid grade many miles ago. NO DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE, NO DIFFERENT IN MPG. I still get 100-110 miles to the half way mark and 180 + a bit till the light comes on. Saving a few bux and it's not hurting the engine for sure. Your opinion will vary I'm sure.......

One year left of the warranty. I think they could have made it a bit longer.......

Rubber down and great trips ahead...........
    John
    You can still purchase an extended warranty!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

I bought the extended warranty when I picked up my 2017 RTS. Like the peace of mind. 20,000 miles and going___

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by starrider60 View Post
    I bought the extended warranty when I picked up my 2017 RTS. Like the peace of mind. 20,000 miles and going___
    Any idea how much for my 2018?

2018 Spyder RT
    Custom Pinstriping by Fastripe.com see video @ https://www.dropbox.com/s/5icsez0g0w...iping.mp4?dl=0
    18" floor boards
    Ram mount phone X holder
    Ram mount cup holder

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks .....

Good to hear things are going well as they should. I would have gone the extra 18 miles to make it even at the end of the ryde...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

A quick search for Extended Warranty will return a number of posts on the topic.
    Most folks seemed to be paying around 600-700 for a 3-year BRP extension, usually via a dealer like Sierra Cycles.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

What is the version of the last Firmware you have ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I also use less than 91 octane ….. I read all the mileage posts and have never seen anything regarding better gas mileage or power that justifies using gas that costs .45 to .65 more per gallon.... In fact at this years Drags, at SpyderFest. I was doing quite well against most others ( not Seth tho ) ….. The enxt day I realized I had been in ECO mode during the Drags …… go figure …… Mike
    x 2 Also finding that minimum octane (here 87), works just as good as the premium (91) that I used for the first five years of ownership on my Spyders. No noticeable difference on performance or mpg.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    x 2 Also finding that minimum octane (here 87), works just as good as the premium (91) that I used for the first five years of ownership on my Spyders. No noticeable difference on performance or mpg.
    I'm surprised that with a 12:1 compression ratio you are getting equal performance and MPG as with 91 - 93 octane. Typically, with that compression ratio and 87 octane gas, you would be close to or getting detonation if the computer didn't reduce the timing which, in turn, would reduce performance and MPG. Tell me more, and maybe I can convince myself to save money.

Spyder Garage

I switched to 89 grade about 6 months ago and also noticed no difference and mpg is slightly better.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    I'm surprised that with a 12:1 compression ratio you are getting equal performance and MPG as with 91 - 93 octane. Typically, with that compression ratio and 87 octane gas, you would be close to or getting detonation if the computer didn't reduce the timing which, in turn, would reduce performance and MPG. Tell me more, and maybe I can convince myself to save money.
    Try a couple tanks and see what YOU think. It works for me...and it now saves me a couple hundred dollars per riding season. PS...I have one 998 and one 1330. Find the same for both vehicles. I am thinking the computer makes adjustments for whatever octane you are using.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Passing hay trucks( triple trailors+ tractor) and need to scoot right along----- I'll stick with 91/ 93 octane and a stage 1 ECU upgrade. Getting up to 95 to 100 ( with wife and all the cargo ) on a HOT DAY WAS ------- EASY.

High octane for me.

Lew L

PS: The 2014 in Circuit Yellow has been trouble free. It's been ridden hard and put up wet but well maintained always.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow